Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
jack9031, Jtparker779, JohnR, brisket, Snicholas
15891 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15892 Members
36 Forums
36500 Topics
497165 Posts

Max Online: 1210 @ 08/23/18 11:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24033
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19773
Dave Davidson1 13776
Bill Cody 12768
Who's Online
7 registered (Snipe, JohnR, roundy, ShaneM, nehunter, tallryan610, s14kev), 132 Guests and 613 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 52 of 52 < 1 2 ... 50 51 52
Topic Options
#504634 - 04/20/19 11:35 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
teehjaeh57 Offline
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Hbg or gsf and bg

Edited by teehjaeh57 (04/21/19 01:59 AM)

#504635 - 04/21/19 12:35 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: teehjaeh57]
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014

Loc: Dallas & Wills Point, Tx
Thanks TJ!

#504637 - 04/21/19 06:42 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
Clay N' Pray Offline

Loc: Caswell co NC
Cut a large gumball tree down.
Finally bought a saw that can handle larger trees.
660 Magnum, 91.6cc
The bar is 24".

Attachments
20190420_153342.jpg (240 downloads)

Edited by Clay N' Pray (04/21/19 06:43 AM)

#504644 - 04/21/19 07:33 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
Mike Whatley Offline

Loc: Louisiana
I think they're both HBG. #1 is a Male, #2 female.

#504645 - 04/21/19 07:37 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: wannapond0001]
Mike Whatley Offline

Originally Posted By: wannapond0001
Nice fish! Mike check your spelling on your signature. Epitome, not epidomy

Thanks for the spell check....corrected. The one time my phone's auto correct didn't work!!

#504661 - 04/21/19 10:12 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: Clay N' Pray]
Pat Williamson Offline

Loc: Oakwood,Texas
Originally Posted By: Clay N' Pray
Cut a large gumball tree down.
Finally bought a saw that can handle larger trees.
660 Magnum, 91.6cc
The bar is 24".

To bad sweetgum doesn’t make good firewood! I hate these things except in the fall when they color up for fall

Edited by Pat Williamson (04/21/19 10:14 AM)

#504669 - 04/21/19 12:14 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
Mike Whatley Offline

Caught two more crappie from the pond today. Both over 11". I guess I should be happy that they've all been big. No sign of young fish, so maybe they've not been too successful with their spawn.

#504705 - Yesterday at 01:25 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: Mike Whatley]
teehjaeh57 Offline
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley

I'm missing any signs that hint towards hybrid in fish two - no yellow margins on fins, etc. - what characteristics lead you to believe it's a hybrid?

#504706 - Yesterday at 01:51 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: teehjaeh57]
Mike Whatley Offline

Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley

I'm missing any signs that hint towards hybrid in fish two - no yellow margins on fins, etc. - what characteristics lead you to believe it's a hybrid?

I dont think the female shows the yellow markings like the male does (spawning colors). Otherwise, the body shape of both fish especially the head and mouth, suggests GSF characteristics. Also note the ear tab on both, long on #1, short on #2, like BG.

Edited by Mike Whatley (Yesterday at 01:54 AM)

#504709 - Yesterday at 08:56 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
bryani289swmi Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Loc: SW Michigan
Busy weekend of working around the pond. Got the last brush pile burned up and cleaned up, ready to start a new season of habitat work around the pond with the dozer and excavator. Observed seven different species of ducks on the pond in addition to several pairs of geese. The pond is back down to just being full, put the boards back in the water control device. Had a run in with some trespassers backing their quad and motorcycle down the edge of the pond dam and spinning out going up and over the dam. I won.

Son got his turkey Saturday morning in Indiana, his season opened up this morning in Michigan and he had his down at 7:44 AM today.

Watched a couple trucks stall out in the deep water on the seasonal road that floods when I release water from the dam and get towed out. The picture below is from a few weeks ago, the water was at least 1.5' deeper now when they tried to get through. The one truck which didn't make it through yesterday was a 2016 Chevy diesel, it sounded as if it sucked water in before it stalled so he might have an expensive repair bill. Before they pulled it out the water was about 3" over the bottom of the door windows. Highly entertaining to watch them open the doors and see the cab full of water run out after it had been pulled to dry land.

Taking a chance and planting about 2 acres of buckwheat today. It's a few weeks early and hoping we don't get a hard frost after it comes up.

Thanks.

Bryan

#504735 - Yesterday at 04:36 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
canyoncreek Offline

Loc: West Michigan
Bryan, thanks for the update! Sounds awesome all the fun you get by your pond! Sounds like you need to patrol the area regularly and get some game cameras with the trespassers there.

You would probably know, as long as I have a mallard duck pair on the pond will I not get a wood duck pair to join them? I know people wait many years to get wood ducks and my pond is a long shot due to activity around it (and my dog who can't get too near it but the fence does allow him in the vicinity), but I also wondered in a small pond how a mallard pair and a wood duck pair would get along?

The female mallard is on the nest (somewhere) and the male sleeps in the shade or swims in circles in the middle of the pond every day waiting for her.

#504738 - Yesterday at 04:55 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
DrLuke Offline

Loc: Grinnell, IA
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek

You would probably know, as long as I have a mallard duck pair on the pond will I not get a wood duck pair to join them? I know people wait many years to get wood ducks and my pond is a long shot due to activity around it (and my dog who can't get too near it but the fence does allow him in the vicinity), but I also wondered in a small pond how a mallard pair and a wood duck pair would get along?

The female mallard is on the nest (somewhere) and the male sleeps in the shade or swims in circles in the middle of the pond every day waiting for her.

I think mallards and woodies do fine on the same pond. I see them (and other ducks) intermix while cruising around our pond frequently. You could always put up a mallard nesting tube, in addition to the wood duck box.

Below are blue wing teal and Canadian geese, hanging out..

Hen mallard nesting tube

Page 52 of 52 < 1 2 ... 50 51 52

Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Deteriorating overflow pipe
by JohnR
Minnow species?
by roundy
11:24 PM
Other Hobbies
by Pat Williamson