Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
5 members (Fishingadventure, Bigtrh24, Bill Cody, Ponderific2024, catscratch), 1,179 guests, and 391 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9948 04/12/03 11:26 PM
T
TyW33 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
The lake chub sucker topic got me thinking (unfortunatly) about a second forage fish for my new pond. Idealy it would not compete with Bgill or Bass. Spawn well, maybe not to well, in lakes. The adults should be of sufficient size to not be easy prey, such that the population is self sustaining. One fish that has never been suggested is some species of sucker. I just wondered if this is a possability or if someone has had experience (bad or good) with these fish?

#9949 04/13/03 07:40 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I wont take very many per acre to keep the water roiled up and muddy. Not sure they will spawn in a pond setting. I think most are stream spawners and need running water for successful spawns.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
#9950 04/13/03 09:05 PM
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
I would imagine they would quickly over populate......after all, there is one born every minute.
Sorry for that.

#9951 04/13/03 09:35 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Unless someone tells me they have suckers reproducing in their pond (all sizes present) I do not believe they will reproduce in a pond. Also if suckers are reproducing I would like to know the species.

#9952 04/13/03 10:40 PM
P
Lunker
Lunker
P
I have to agree with you Bill, ony ever heard or seen them spawn in streams, often in the lower sections in areas below that which trout make it to. I fear they would cause havoc on the spawning beds as well as have the potential to grow considerably larger then bass forage.

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
#9953 04/13/03 11:12 PM
S
S
the only ponds I have found suckers in had large streams feeding the pond. I figure they strayed out of the stream into the pond. I remember one pond that had suckers and did not contain largemouth bass. Even in the absence of bass the suckers were few. I have heard stories about the infamous lake chubsucker but I have never sampled a lake or pond that was overrun with them. I have only personally seen two in my life. I have seen far more stoneroller and spotted suckers during my time sampling.

with the trend of catch and release running strong and the bass heavy populations that seem to result (at least around here) I wonder if lake chubsucker has met its match???

#9954 04/13/03 11:33 PM
T
TyW33 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I decided to check a list of fish native to Minnesota and see if any of them would add to my forage base. The list of possabilities included shiner, golden shiner, fat heads, and white sucker. The white sucker is probably the most widely found fish in MN and spawns in lakes if no streams are present (so they say). But they do get bigger than bass could eat. The MN dnr data base makes it sound like the 12" fish are the exception not the rule, they also talk about what an important forage fish it is. Obviously they don't give a hoot how it works in ponds.
Would having more forage, other than Bgill and fatheads, give me more or bigger bass? Is there any benifit to having more forage species?

#9955 04/14/03 12:06 AM
T
TyW33 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Fishes of Minnesota - white sucker

This is all I know about white suckers, if anyone is interested. I know that a prey item should be less than 1/3 the length of the bass. Will I be able to get any bass over 20" in MN? Obviously adult sucker are way to big, this would give them the possablity to over populate and out compete Bgill that I want to catch. But if thier is a commercial bait market for them maybe they could be trapped out for profit?
Sorry its late, Im leaving before it gets any worse.

#9956 04/14/03 12:20 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ty -- I would not recommend stocking white suckers in your pond. The big ones commonly get to 3 or 4 pounds, and no largemouth bass can eat them. Now, with enough predation on the small suckers, perhaps you could avoid a problem. However, I keep envisioning 300-500 pounds per acre of 18-20 inch white suckers. They would eat a LOT of insects that could be going to your bluegills and small bass. So, just a general sense that I would avoid introducing this species.

Dave

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
#9957 04/14/03 12:25 PM
T
TyW33 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I think your right, the shear size of them is too much. But no one has answered my other question, is it good, or worth while, to have another forage species?

#9958 04/14/03 04:07 PM
S
S
I think your question is alittle to broad to answer. It depends on what you want out of your pond. answers will vary depending on what species of fish you prefer to manage for, the size pond you have, where it is located and so on. Stocking a pond with additional fish like treadfin shad will be great for bass fishing, but watch out if you want good bluegill fishing. Just because you have a bunch of different species of fish living in the pond does not mean its a good fishery. they all compete for the same food. A pond will only hold a certain amount of fish, this amount is called its carrying capacity. Here in Georgia the carrying capacity for an unfertilized pond is 100 pounds of fish per acre. you can stock it full of bluegill, let them overpopulate for 2 years, drain the pond and you will have 100 pounds of skinny, terrible looking bluegill. Then stock the same pond with proper rates of bass, bluegill and red ear. give them two years to grow in a balanced fish population. drian the pond and weigh all the fish and you will still have 100 pounds of fish, but this time they will be fat, healthy fish.

I say this so you will understand that if you stock additional fish into your pond you are not increasing to your forage base. whatever fish you add will be taking away food from other fish in the pond.

there are not many fish that will produce more forage than good old bluegill. I would not recommend "playing" scientist with your pond and stocking fish to see what happens. Unless you are willing to drain the pond, kill all fish and start over.

#9959 04/14/03 05:35 PM
T
TyW33 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I understand the concept of carrying capacity. I also realize that there are many diffrent species of fish becasue each one occupies a diffrent niche. I also know that Bgill are not benthic feeders (bottom feeders) and therefore do not utilize that part of the pond. My idea is that by diversifying my forage base I A. Will have prey fish spawning at diffrent times of the year, providing fry for young bass year round. B. If one population becomes scarce the bass will switch to the other forage (optimum foraging theroy) C. Take some of the pressure of the Bgill population so that we can harvest more. D. Utilize all the diffrent pond habitats to thier fullest to get the most fish out of my ponds. D. If the pond ended up over populating on a bait fish that we add, the bait fish might be able to be traped and for a profit.
I know that the best way to get big bass of big Bgill is to stock Bgill and LMB, feed, fertalize, and manage for one or the other. I'd rather have a pond that is self sustaining, I know impossible, but in that case diversity acts as a safety net. Lets say the first Bgill spawn gets disrupted by a freak accident, low water cool temps, and the eggs don't hatch. You might take comfort in having a plan B.

#9960 04/14/03 09:05 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Not all species of fish have or occupy separate niches. Depending on the species, Many times the niches overlap, behaviors and competition occur esp in small habitats (ponds vs lakes). Sometimes fish will adjust their feeding habits and use another fishes' niche and competition occurs. The more fish species you add to the pond the more chances this will happen. The fittest, the most adaptable and the most prolific will be most successful. Some species will not be able to compete or spawn and relatively soon, be eliminated from the system.

You are dealing with adaptable live critters here that do not read the books so sometimes their behavior is not by the book and not what you expected. Pros and cons to this. It's your pond; experiment as you will, but as Shan says "you may need to start over if your "plan" does not work. The fish don't care what you think ought to happen.

I've seen big bass 20"-23" develop on just bgill and bass for forage but not a lot of them per acre. I don't think numerous really big bass can be produced per acre. But to get really big ones, the bass population has to be carefully manipulated to reduce competition at the proper times and bgill forage needs to be at the correct abundance and size as the bass grows.

My local fish hatchery guy (ex state hatchery assistant mgr. w/some college coarses) is convinced the best way to grow big bass in the north is to use goldfish as forage. However I'm not sure I completely believe this. Check out the biology and relative growth rates and sizes of goldfish. I can ask if he also recommends bgill with the goldfish. I can give you his name and website if you want to contact him. www.ridgeviewfinfarm.com Goldfish will compete w/ bgill for a lot of the same food items. Thus you may have fewer quality sized bgill when goldfish are present. Plus I don't think goldfish are very good table food and not much sportfish value except for bass food.

It will be pretty hard to find several fish that will not have overlapping niches in a small pond and not be a competitor with your main stocked or primary preferred species. Primarily because the pond is small and habitats are limited. HOwever if you want diversity for fishing variety then adding extra species is accecptable for your pond goals. You just need to keep the consequences of these additions in perspective and be able to deal with any negative results.

Fewer food sources are available in small ponds compared to larger lakes. Some lakes have higher fish diversity and a corrresponding higher carrying capacity which is due to the different species of fishes utilizing different or multiple niches and more different kinds of food sources. Carrying capacity of a pond is increased by fertilization, feeding, or stocking different species.

#9961 04/14/03 09:50 PM
T
TyW33 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I understand the difference between a realized and possible niche. I was thinking that a bottom feeding fish like a sucker would not compete with Bgill or LMB the way blue cats fit into ponds well with them. Those three animals fill diffrent niches, I wouldn't consider stocking blue gill and green sunfish, thats too close. Part of my question is if there a point to this at all? I see most of you think not, and you are probably right.

#9962 04/14/03 09:59 PM
S
S
TyW33

Just because bluegill are not classified as benthic feeders does not mean they dont feed on benthic invertebrates. Bluegill are well known to feed on everything that is available. thats what makes them such a great forage fish. It is for that reason that adding other fish usually will not "help take pressure off bluegill" (as you put it) Adding another species takes food out of the mouth of the bluegill, thus reducing the overall population. This is what BC is refering to when he talks about overlapping niches.

I have seen many bass over 10 pounds (the largest was 13) grown in bass/bluegill ponds. all these fish came from south Georgia where the growing season is very long. BC was right on the money when is said "there will not be a lot of them per acre". but it is possible to grow very large bass on a bluegill diet. I would love to talk to the guy who grows bass on gold fish, please forward that info Bill.

I like your thinking about diversity for growing large bass. I stock shad by the thousands for this purpose. but even the shad that is a filter feeder will impact the bluegill population so I dont recommend them for people who like fishing for sunnies (as you boys from MN call them)

#9963 04/15/03 09:09 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
There is another potential problem with trying to fill all of the niches. If you increase the biomass you might reduce the amount of DO available to all species and also increase the amount of manure to be absorbed by the water. My Farmer Grandfather once told me to "Think Like the Soil". In the case of a pond, I think you have to take a Holistic outlook and imagine yourself as the water in the pond. I remember Bill Cody once posting here to an owner of a large aquarium. He said "The fish are swimming in their own toilet" or something to that effect. I believe a pond is the same thing. Think of the water before you overstock or even fertilize to increase the carrying capacity.

#9964 04/15/03 08:19 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The hatchery owner who declares and is convinced that the way to grow big LMB is to use goldfish for forage is Bob Hesterman. I think he must have used goldfish at the state hatchery to maintain brood stock or something like that. I'm not sure what his opinion is for using gizzard shad as big bass forage. I'm not sure where he learned goldfish was a method for raising big bass. Since he is in the northern Ohio do not know what he considers a trophy bass. Maybe his trophy LMB are 5-7 lbs? As I said earlier I'm not sure if he advocates also using other forage items in the pond or just goldfish. You can use my name if you want as a reference when contacting him.

It doesn't sound like I know much about his big bass raising method and you are correct. That is not one of my passions so I never really quizzed him about it. He just keeps telling me that goldfish will producee big bass.
His hatchery website is www.ridgeviewfinfarm.com. He has an email contact for the hatchery on the website.

#9965 04/15/03 11:20 PM
T
TyW33 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I think that it is illegal to stock goldfish in MN. They are a very aggresive envasive species. Goldfish are well known to totaly dominate a lake. Some inner city lakes where people dump out pet goldfish have become goldfish only. They revert in a few generations to a natrual brown/bronze color.

#9966 04/16/03 08:41 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I think almost every fish species can become overabundant or overpopulated and stunted if there are no or not enough check and balances present. Just about every fish you can think of can at times become a problem. Some fish definately do more habitat harm than others. This seems esp true with most invasive/exotic species but not all.

Tyw33: Are you telling me that if I live in MN and if I have a private backyard pond (say 1/2ac w/ no access to a stream) and if I put gold fish in it, that the state fishery boys or the local game warden will come and make me take them out? No gold fish, not even in private ponds?

Goldfish become overabundant in the city, metro, or urban lakes because all the yocals, excuse me locals, take out the bass who if present in normal densities would control and probably eliminate the goldfish.

Goldfish populations do fairly quickly become drab colored for two basic reasons. 1. A sizable percentage of goldfish offspring is drab or mixed color because drab is the dominant gene. 2. Colored offspring stick out like sore thumbs or neon lights and predators get them first.

#9967 04/16/03 09:10 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ditto on what Bill said about fish being adaptable and occupying overlapping niches. Think catfish and suckers are bottom feeders? Not necessarily. Back when I was a biologist aide Intern for a summer we routinely gillnetted channel catfish that were far up off the bottom suspended in a reservoir. I know of a natural lake near me where suckers are routinely gillneted suspended far off shore too. Here's the kicker. The suckers were feeding on plankton even though they had downturned mouths!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

#9968 04/17/03 12:36 PM
P
Lunker
Lunker
P
-In addition to Bill's comments on goldfish colouration, I have also noticed that environmental and diet factors play a role in colouration as they do to most other species.
Again, there is no reason with adequate numbers of varying sizes of bass that goldfish would overpopulate. Of course if there are no predators they will take multiply until the carrying capacity of the water body is reached, then as with other fish they overcompete for forage and stop growing very fast. Goldfish also feed heavily on their own eggs so there is a point at which their numbers will plateau. I personally don't see any reason why goldfish should be excluded as a potetial forage fish in private waters. (Those that have no outflow)

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
#9969 04/17/03 04:20 PM
T
TyW33 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
anyone ever seen Koi? They look like small yellow,black, and white carp. Thats because they are. Do you know what Koi are? Goldfish. Goldfish are very closely related to carp. When in a wild enviroment they grow larger and more aggresive. The hatchery manager probably used goldfish as a feeder fish, more like an aquarium. That makes more sense to me as goldfish are the most popular feeder fish in the aquarium trade.
I understand why goldfish revert to natrual coloration, I have taken courses in genetics, evolution, and right now in ecology. I realize that this does not even compare to the real life expereince that many of you have. But I do have a grasp of How fish feed, where they live, what they require, how they interact, and how thier populations change with time. Understanding these things has been of mine goal for a long time, and will continue to be.

#9970 04/17/03 09:31 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Tyw33, After I read your above post, then your next goal should be to get a good fish anatomy /taxonomy book and read up on the differences between Koi and goldfish. After you have comprehended this information then come back and correct your post dated April 17,2003. If you don't understand the texts or if you need help I will explain what are the numerous differences between these two fish. Goldfish is NOT the answer to "Do you know what koi are?".

#9971 04/18/03 12:20 AM
T
TyW33 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Sorry, I was unable to take ictheology this semester. But I will as soon as I can fit it in my schedual. I'm sorry I even asked this question. Every other thread, every one I have read, has been informational and mostly constructive. I feel that this thread has digresed away from the idea of more forage for bass and into making sure everyone here knows who is right. I now understand that the only thing to do with a pond under 50 acres is put in bass and bluegills and catfish with forked tails.
I wrote out an entire paragraph trying to explain why I think gold fish are dangerous to put in a pond and why I don't think it's legal too, such as you need a permit to stock and transport fish and goldfish are an exotic species.
Also I noticed that you are all defending this idea with gusto yet no one has said they tried it.
The point is we are bickering, thats not what this place is for, its for the co-operative exchange of information about ponds. We can all learn from each other, I have learned alot from the pond masters here, more than on any other website. So why are we argueing the diffrence between koi and goldfish? espescialy when we are all fishermen and women?

#9972 04/18/03 10:09 AM
S
S
goldfish are illegal here in Gerogia as i undertand it. I dont think putting them into a backyard pond is going to get visit from the state DNR but stocking several thousand into a sportfishing pond for forage might. One post mentioned goldfishes tendency to eat their own eggs. if they eat their own eggs I'll assume they eat the eggs of other fish as well, which could cause fish population problems in the long run.

Tyw33, dont beat yourself up. your thinking is right on the money as far as growing trophy bass. you can diversify the food chain with non game fish and get very impressive bass growth. you can do it in ponds far smaller than 50 acres. I stocked several thousand threadfin shad into a pond yesterday for this purpose. but the pond owners objective is clear, grow the largest bass possible. he has no concern with numbers of harvestable size bluegill, bluegill to him are simply forage for his bass. when used in this context threadfin shad are great. they spawn like crazy, multiple times during the summer and dont get too large for bass to eat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?