Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,098
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (H20fwler, nvcdl, esshup, Bing, Fishingadventure, Dylanfrely, Angler8689, Sunil, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE), 679 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#98734 10/03/07 10:04 PM
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
My mom has been talking to some family friends at our Church that have some land near Groesbeck, Texas. They said that they need someone to work managing their land over the summer. Like managing the ponds, getting rid of feral hogs and maintaining the property. I don't have very much information yet but I am really excited and from what my mom said they are excited too. Wish me luck.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Good luck, good buddy.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Chris, I know of nobody who can get rid of feral hogs. They don't read the same books we do.

They showed up on my place last year. They were everywhere. Then, they left. I still see some evidence that a few are around, lone boars probably, but not many. However, they will return.

Sounds like a neat undertaking.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
You better watch it, young man. Summer jobs often portend one's eventual permanent employment (mine did, anyway). If you're not careful, you could end up managing ponds, maintaining property, and hunting hogs for a living. \:o

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Sounds like fun - Good Luck.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Outstanding, Young Man!!!!!!

Let's briefly discuss your billing rate...

I'm thinking that you should command no less than $46.50/hour along with full medical, dental, and vision.

Of course, you'll need all major holidays off, as well as (28) days paid vacation. While this may sound unreasonable, it's perfectly valid for a 3-month job post.

Of course you will require an all terrain vehicle (which is yours to keep).

Each Friday at 12 Noon, your employer must provide 3 cases of fine beer, in bottles, as well as a full barbecue buffet along with a nice bottle of port wine to finish it off. You are 21 right?....well, doesn't matter.

Well, that should be a good start.

Anyone else have any negotiating points for this strapping young entrepreneur?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Originally posted by Theo Gallus:

Quote:
You better watch it, young man. Summer jobs often portend one's eventual permanent employment (mine did, anyway).

Theo, where in the world did you get a summer job as a science- fiction-reading, heavy-metal-listening, medieval-siege-engine- building, latin-quoting, moderator?

Lunker
Lunker

I wish, Yolkie, I wish.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Chris, I know of nobody who can get rid of feral hogs. They don't read the same books we do.

Let me rephrase that. I will try to control the population as best I can.

Sunil, thats sounds about right.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hey, as a temporary contractor/consultant, you'll need an agent. Contact me for details of our business arrangement.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Hey, as a temporary contractor/consultant, you'll need an agent. Contact me for details of our business arrangement.

How much do you charge? I think the going rate is 10%. \:\)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Naw, that's Hollywood stuff. Real pimps like me are more expensive. After all, I have a couple of ponds to support.

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
I just talked to our church friend today. She said that her father is going to send me a list of stuff that they want done. I will see what I will be able to do and recommend some more things that were not on the list. She said that they have 800 acres and many ponds. One sounds like a bass stunted pond and another has big catfish. She also said that some of the ponds have vegetation problems.

The way she was talking this could be a year round thing. I could come down once or twice a month and then work over the summer. Sounds like it could be fun.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Outstanding, Young Man!!!

Let's get right into the meat & potatoes.

Of course, your whole attitude and assumption at this point, being the strapping young entrepeneur that you are, portrays the fact that you know it's a paying gig.

Don't discuss payment now. Instead, set up the initial meeting. At the meeting, view the gig and ask questions related to the ideas of what the client wants to accomplish. Ask what, if any, land management has been done in the past. Have them state what their dream/ideal goals are for the property. Once established, question them on what they think can be accomplished during the summer, and what could be developed the next fall. At this time, I would ask them where they usually purchase any supplies that they use for land/pond management, if any. Then I would ask them what supplies they think, if any, would be required to get them on the path to their goals.

Ask at least three questions in each area. Get into some depth and probe around.

Now, if there was past land management, I would probe into if they were happy, sad, or glad about what had been done. I would ask more details on who did it. If it was a total outsider to the clients, I would ask how much they spent.

Now if the client does not expect to pay for any supplies or such, take a break and PM me.

But if you've established that the client has in the past, and expects to in the future pay for things needed, you have set up the scene.

Now for the grits...ask how much the client expects to pay to accomplish their own stated ideal goals.

Once you know all of that, then it is time to present your solutions. How and what you would do to accomplish their ideal goals, if possible, and what time frames they could take. I would cover supplies needed to meet these goals, and if you knew where they shopped, you could mention the solution of using that account. Then I would discuss how you plan to work the project meaning what schedule would you keep, would you enlist help, and how you would document what you are doing such as a weekly log with tasks accomplished, and more importantly, hours spent.

Now, you should have an idea of the total level of effort, and your time to task. If you are sharp, and we know you are, you will have a ballpark idea of what the costs will be for your time (assuming you have a billing rate in your mind; let's not start with the $46.50/hour I suggested earlier)/(if you don't know the numbers in your mind, ask to take a few minutes to review your notes, then crunch some numbers). If your time costs plus supply costs are within what they expect to pay, we are golden; if our expected proposal cost is over what they expect to pay, we have to now address it. Eliminate some of the mini-projects, and offer what can be accomplished within their expected costs. We'll have to trust our gut here, and then move to close.

Ask them..."if we can accomplish this, that, and the other, in the time frames we discussed, and within the budget you expect to pay, do you want the Steelman-Slymer House of Fish Squeezing & Supply perform this work for you?

Now remember, we always EXPECT to close, so it's hard for us to not break out in a full-flex crab position demonstrating our total dominance at this point, but we need to hear the clients answer first.

If in the affirmative, we shake hands and then ask when they want to get started. If there are objections, then we have to go back through expectations, solutions and the such....but no worries; remember, we EXPECT to close. If there's any objections, PM me.

At this point you'll have to decide how much, if any, you want to put in writing. You'll, at the very minimum, need to discuss how they plan to pay you ie/ weekly, etc.

Our first paid gig....yeah!

Does anyone else have any advice for this up and coming young entrepreneur?

Last edited by Sunil; 10/11/07 09:01 PM. Reason: Shareholder returns, Man! Shareholder returns!

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
Lunker
"The two things you need to get along with people are warmth and sincerity. Once you can fake those, you've got it made!"

-Kasey Kasem

-S. M. Stirling
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
I will have to read that a few times to understand it all :), but I can address a few things now.

Right now since I will only be able to go on the weekends I was thinking of them paying for gas money and vehicle wear and tear. Which from what I figured would be about $150. Then we could talk about pay when I would be able to be down there for more than 2 days at a time.

Supplies:
When I talked to her on the phone she talked about water quality testing. I think I could buy the kit and charge a fee. That way it would be mine to keep. She also talked about buying fish from Overtons, which is a good start.

Goals:
She said that her father is writing up a list of stuff that he wants to get done. Once I get the list I can see what I will be able to do and also recommend some other things.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Outstanding, Young Man!!!

Let's get right into the meat & potatoes.

Of course, your whole attitude and assumption at this point, being the strapping young entrepeneur that you are, portrays the fact that you know it's a paying gig.

Don't discuss payment now. Instead, set up the initial meeting. At the meeting, view the gig and ask questions related to the ideas of what the client wants to accomplish. Ask what, if any, land management has been done in the past. Have them state what their dream/ideal goals are for the property. Once established, question them on what they think can be accomplished during the summer, and what could be developed the next fall. At this time, I would ask them where they usually purchase any supplies that they use for land/pond management, if any. Then I would ask them what supplies they think, if any, would be required to get them on the path to their goals.

Ask at least three questions in each area. Get into some depth and probe around.

Now, if there was past land management, I would probe into if they were happy, sad, or glad about what had been done. I would ask more details on who did it. If it was a total outsider to the clients, I would ask how much they spent.

Now if the client does not expect to pay for any supplies or such, take a break and PM me.

But if you've established that the client has in the past, and expects to in the future pay for things needed, you have set up the scene.

Now for the grits...ask how much the client expects to pay to accomplish their own stated ideal goals.

Once you know all of that, then it is time to present your solutions. How and what you would do to accomplish their ideal goals, if possible, and what time frames they could take. I would cover supplies needed to meet these goals, and if you knew where they shopped, you could mention the solution of using that account. Then I would discuss how you plan to work the project meaning what schedule would you keep, would you enlist help, and how you would document what you are doing such as a weekly log with tasks accomplished, and more importantly, hours spent.

Now, you should have an idea of the total level of effort, and your time to task. If you are sharp, and we know you are, you will have a ballpark idea of what the costs will be for your time (assuming you have a billing rate in your mind; let's not start with the $46.50/hour I suggested earlier)/(if you don't know the numbers in your mind, ask to take a few minutes to review your notes, then crunch some numbers). If your time costs plus supply costs are within what they expect to pay, we are golden; if our expected proposal cost is over what they expect to pay, we have to now address it. Eliminate some of the mini-projects, and offer what can be accomplished within their expected costs. We'll have to trust our gut here, and then move to close.

Ask them..."if we can accomplish this, that, and the other, in the time frames we discussed, and within the budget you expect to pay, do you want the Steelman-Slymer House of Fish Squeezing & Supply perform this work for you?

Now remember, we always EXPECT to close, so it's hard for us to not break out in a full-flex crab position demonstrating our total dominance at this point, but we need to hear the clients answer first.

If in the affirmative, we shake hands and then ask when they want to get started. If there are objections, then we have to go back through expectations, solutions and the such....but no worries; remember, we EXPECT to close. If there's any objections, PM me.

At this point you'll have to decide how much, if any, you want to put in writing. You'll, at the very minimum, need to discuss how they plan to pay you ie/ weekly, etc.

Our first paid gig....yeah!

Does anyone else have any advice for this up and coming young entrepreneur?

That's an amazing post. I'd put it in the archives, but I don't know what to classify it as.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Sunil,

I read your post twice. How much $$$ do I need to send you for the business lesson. I am a young entrepreneur myself, quickly learning the ways of the business world.

n8ly #99341 10/12/07 06:36 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yep, Sunil is more than just a pretty face.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
BTW, another point to add to Sunils excellent advice. This involves sales. Once you have gotten all of the expenses and your profit covered, present it to the customer in a professional manner. Then, shut up. The first one that speaks will always lose.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Dave
Have you ever sold cars??????????????????lol

SUNIL FOR PRESIDENT!

Last edited by ahvatsa; 10/12/07 06:59 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Funny you say that Al! The answer is no, however, one memory comes to mind.

When I was a teenager, we were in a Pontiac dealership. A large lady walks in; she's pushing 375lbs. if she was an ounce. All she keep saying, out loud, was "I want a Fiero...I want a Fiero...I want a Fiero."

In reality, this lady needed a Texas Cadillac (Suburban). She was in the wrong dealership.

If you were the salesman, how would you proceed?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I think I would use a grain scoop like it was a shoehorn. She knew what she wanted and I would throw in the scoop as an accessory.

Actually, I never sell a car. I keep them until the wrecking yard won't take them and buy new ones.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 10/12/07 07:51 AM.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
When they send you the list write out a plan of action on how to do what they want and include any well thought out suggestions and questions. Then send it to them in draft form for their comments. That should put both of you on a solid starting foundation and avoid later misunderstandings.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 05:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images