Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
4 members (Brandon Larson, Blestfarmpond, Layne, Angler8689), 634 guests, and 143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#98588 10/02/07 01:52 PM
N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
Have about 1/2 acre pond on a property I purchased that has about a 18 to 24" thick floating bog on most of it. Is there an "easy" way to remove it?

I see posts on using a trash pump for silt. Would something like that work? Don't think so, given how the roots are so matted together.

Kill it with chemicals, and then try to do something with it. (not very environmental)

Is a extended reach backhoe the only option???

Thanks for your ideas.

_ ________________________________________ _
Hi Honey I'm home... Is my new issue of Pond Boss here?
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Since it is only a half acre could you not just drag it out with a rake over time and mulch it.

I dont know what you have but one year I had a problem with water primrose. It was mostly covering the edges out to 15' or so, more in some places. I pretty much could go around the edge of the pond where it started and pull in the parts going out deep.

Maybe you could do the same thing. Or use a boat and a rake. And then if it seems like it is going to come back quickly then treat it with a biological solution (certain fish) or treat it with chemicals.

If you can get the bulk out before you treat it with chemicals it may prevent water quality problems when it dies and begins to decay.

Bill

I wish I had the tenacity of GSF!
N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
 Originally Posted By: Bill Webb
Since it is only a half acre could you not just drag it out with a rake over time and mulch it.

Bill

Could try to do it manually, but I can stand on this thing, supports my fat .... It is not going to come apart easy.

Agree would like to remove most of it, rather then treat with chemicals. I think I would leave part of it, as an "island"

_ ________________________________________ _
Hi Honey I'm home... Is my new issue of Pond Boss here?
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
I like the idea to keep some of it. It's a natural phenomena that you should have. But, if it covers most of the pond, I can see the need to remove a portion of it. As a matter of fact, that's what Bruce Kania biomimics when he uses his floating islands.
A floating bog and the plants on it absorbs and use nutrients from the water. They play a role cleansing water.
As far as "how" to remove it, I expect half a day's worth of excavator would do the job. The problem will be trying to schedule an excavator for only half a day.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Maybe you do need an excuvator. Stand on it, that is thick! But if you are a cheap or broke as I am and have a tractor, do you think that you could hack a piece where a pipe with some kind of wire or a hog panel was attached and with other pipe on the top drag some of it out at a time until it breaks up. You would still need a john boat or something.

But good luck on whatever you decide.

I wish I had the tenacity of GSF!
N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
 Originally Posted By: Bill Webb
Maybe you do need an excuvator. Stand on it, that is thick! But if you are a cheap or broke as I am and have a tractor, do you think that you could hack a piece where a pipe with some kind of wire or a hog panel was attached and with other pipe on the top drag some of it out at a time until it breaks up. You would still need a john boat or something.

I don't have a tractor, but do have a 4x4 truck and ATVs. Can film it for a commercial. LOL.

Actually it might work. Have a fabrication company so can have something built that I can drive into it to rip off chunks. In big bodies of water, I have seen people just throw an anchor onto the top of them, and pull them around with a boat (very slowly!). I don't have that kind of room, but if I can slice it somehow... Gonna have to give it some thought. Further design ideas welcome....

Actually just using a square spade to cut it in pieces may work, then just drag them out. Gonna be a very MESSY job. But, could be gradifing too. Water is down right now, would be the time to do with just waders.

N
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
 Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
I like the idea to keep some of it. It's a natural phenomena that you should have. But, if it covers most of the pond, I can see the need to remove a portion of it. As a matter of fact, that's what Bruce Kania biomimics when he uses his floating islands.
A floating bog and the plants on it absorbs and use nutrients from the water. They play a role cleansing water.

Yes, the county wetland people, where baffled by this 3/4 acre pond and it's "bog". They say it is very rare/unusual for this area and would hate for me to remove it, just because it is so interesting. But, from old sat and air photos, you can see it has grown a great deal over the years, and now covers most of the pond.

The reason for the 1/2 to 3/4 acres is it varies about that much depending on water level.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??