Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,075
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,412
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O), 820 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#97761 09/23/07 08:27 PM
L
LuckyT Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
L
Hello, great site here, I have read many posts and I am learning with every post I read thank you!
I have a question that I have not found an answer to and was hoping you all may shed some insight on it for me. It is a soil question. I have a about a 1 acre area that is 20 feet below a horseshoe ridge. (I am in North west Wisconsin) At the bottom and throught the acre of this horshoe is full of tag adlers. The ground they are in is spongy almost like a pete bog. Standing water soemtimes but almost always wet when walked on.
I am cutting out the tags right now. What can I expect for the soil? I realize it is a vauge question but in your experiance with soil conditions like this, what do you think I can expect to find for a depth of this boggy/mossy mess, or is this something I will just need to dig down to find out?
As of now, the plan is to cut out the tags and get a better look at what the whole place looks like. Pond may be in the future here (hopefully), but for right now, I need to get rid of the "wetland look". I was wondering if anyone here could help me out with what I may expect to find when tackling this area?
(The soil at the top of this area is approved for a at grade septic system and is gravely. You go 80' in a different direction and it is a clay type soil that has models at a depth of 6 inches. Very funny area?
I would like to put in a water hole/pongd but may encounter permit problems. If so, I plan to keep it a bog but will manage what is allowed to grow. My new house will be on the ridge looking over this area (that is why the tags need to go, but in the long run I would love to have a small water hole/pond and allow the rest of the area to be wetland with grasses etc but no tags.
Any ideas would be of great help.
Thank you

Last edited by LuckyT; 09/23/07 08:33 PM.
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Howdy, LT.

Someone may have a good guess based on similar/nearby land (I hope they do; it's different sounding terrain than what I've personally experienced); the only way to know is to excavate the whole site. To get something more useful than a guess and much less final/expensive than knowing, we estimate by digging test holes. You have a backhoe or trackhoe (or a strong-backed, weak-minded BIL with a shovel) come in and dig holes down several feet to see the makeup of the soils in situ.

You can see how I had test holes dug for my current pond project here. We only did two; I know the soil here pretty well because I have another pond I put in 6 years earlier and I have lived and farmed here for 21 years. If I had not known the soil this well, I would have wanted at least one more hole where the dam was planned and one or two holes farther back, where the middle of the pond would be. And this was for a half-acre pond; much larger ponds would warrant more test holes IMHO.

If you are just now clearing the tag alders and speculating on a pond later, look for an opportunity to do test holes when a suitable excavating tool is on site. If you build your house first, that would be a perfect opportunity. Several holes could be dug and backfilled in a half-day or so, and if the equipment is already on site, you won't have an extra delivery charge to get it there.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
L
LuckyT Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
L
Thank you, very good advice. I have access to equipment and own a 4wd tractor with a bucket if I dont bury. I am concerned with DNR and crossing the line. If after removing tags it still looks like it is wetland, I will be forced to try the permit system (which will shoot down most of my plans) this is why I am jumping the gun and trying to find out what I may expect. I will take your advice and start with a shovel and a 18 year olds back that I have hired to help me with removal. (dragging those alders up the embankment is hard on us old guys, compared to 18?)LOL
Thank you

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy