Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Jward87, Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka
18,495 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,934
Members18,496
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
5 members (Shorthose, rjackson, Dave Davidson1, catscratch, Foozle), 691 guests, and 146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#26178 06/03/07 09:51 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
DIED, I'd recommend that you take a pH reading at around 8 p.m., and then around 6 a.m.

pH fluctuates so much during the day, depending on whether your plants are photosynthesizing, or respiring.

The pH graph is meaningless unless you are getting readings at the same time of day each time.

...or did you know this already and I just missed a previous post? The picture you included in your 1,000th post has distracted me from the true meaning of this thread. :p

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
#26179 06/03/07 12:40 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
jeff, when you come visit next, the four of us will be standing over my beleaguered low water level weedy pond, after about the third beer, you can pipe up and say "hey dave, you REALLY need a new well up there above the pond" \:\)

by all means, lets get back on track here
actually, i believe the true meaning of this thread is 1) to celebrate the birth of a west coast BG pond, and 2) a place for DIED to post whatever the heck he wants to (within the family-friendly, albeit not necessarily PC confines of the web site of course). the pic that still haunts me is the one (i think heybud) posted of the gal with three....ummm...pectoral protrusions...wow!

that said, thanks for the rec's bruce. i'm acutally aware of the misgivings of pH measurements, but am fairly comfortable using the values for comparison purposes. my sampling protocol remains the same for all measurements which have all been taken at roughly the same time of day, after lunch (when i'm home). electrical conductivity (EC) and total dissolved solids (TDS) have tracked perfectly with the pH measurements (although maybe this is because EC and TDS change alot during the day too, but i think these are more stable parameters than pH). i averaged out some of the variability by averaging together readings from all portions of the pond whether in the shade or in the sun. and i calibrate the meter before each use to known standards. i believe the trends to be accurate for the general condition of the pond...but i believe in santa claus too, so... :rolleyes:

GSF are people too!

#26180 06/03/07 01:15 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...but do you believe in Tom Cruise?

#26181 06/04/07 01:17 AM
R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Only if he stays on his meds

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
#26182 06/04/07 01:29 AM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
thanks theo, a definite improvement \:\)

why rad, i'm as pure as the wind driven snow. its my buddy jeff who needs the meds....which reminds me to answer jeff's question......no ideas on the pH swings other than it has to do with the cessation of watershed input and subsequent stagnating pond water. interestingly the creek water remained in the high 7's and low 8's during the period in which the pond water rose to over 10. of course now, there is no creek, and there wont be one until round about december/january.

i had a mickey mouse rig for the aeration electrical which changed today....a nice first cabin set up. when i complete that this week, i'll take a pic or two and post the project.

GSF are people too!

#26183 06/04/07 08:10 AM
R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
D.I.E.D.
The poor attempt at a joke was "do you believe in Tom Cruise?" only if he stays on his meds

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
#26184 06/04/07 10:26 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Since Tom doesn't return my phone calls anymore I cannot comment on his current medication situation.

It's easy to determine whether or not I'm on the medication ....

Thoughtful aeration thread = on meds

RES cartoons = fallen off the wagon

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
#26185 06/05/07 01:33 AM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
jeff, cant wait to show off the new electrical gig for aerator...its a must see. may have time to get a couple pics and post em up here this coming weekend.....busy busy week ahead.

its ok rad, me and intentional humor is about like waitin ON the RR tracks for the train to pass.

GSF are people too!

#26186 07/14/07 05:58 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D

for those following this rag.....JHAP......here's a new set of summer data points. average surface pH is staying below 10 thankfully, despite the extreme volume loss the pond is experiencing and will be experiencing until november. average surface temps rising gradually...aeration running for 8 hrs every night between 2330 and 0730 hrs.

GSF are people too!

#26187 07/17/07 10:06 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Fairly steady climb in temperature. I would think that would begin to taper to flat in say August?

Did you aerate that much in 2006?

Have you noted any changes in the pond since aerating?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
#26188 07/17/07 12:01 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Here's a graph that shows my view on the subject.

#26189 07/18/07 12:50 AM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D

just trying to keep things cool

GSF are people too!

#26190 07/18/07 09:49 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Wow, I would have never in my wildest imagination (and you should know by now that my imagination runs pretty wild) that there was a correlation between global warming and the demise of pirates.

I fear that DIED is an endangered species. Crank up the air conditioner my friend!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

#26191 07/20/07 12:58 AM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Quote:
Originally posted by jeffhasapond:
Fairly steady climb in temperature. I would think that would begin to taper to flat in say August?

Did you aerate that much in 2006?

Have you noted any changes in the pond since aerating?
JHAP, i sporadically aerated on critical hot days with no sunlight in 2006.....so really not much.

since routine aeration started earlier this year, the water has assumed a beautiful olive/emerald green color indicating a strong yet not too strong continuous plankton bloom. the baby fish will have (and have) so much to eat, its wonderful. the clarity is much less than last year, the weed growth is much less, and the adult fish couldnt be happier......its just the overall decreasing water volume that keeps me awake at night.....

GSF are people too!

#26192 07/21/07 11:05 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Glad to hear the aeration is working out. Still no progress on my aeration. After my June trip I am fairly sure that a windmill will not work. On those hot sticky days there is little to no wind at the pond until late afternoon and then only for a couple of hours. The company that quoted me a solar system completely backed off when I started questioning the adequacy of the system. I was concerned that the suggested pump wouldn't produce enough CFM at an adequate PSI to pump air to my 17+ foot depth and also pump enough air to support multiple diffusers for my size pond. I asked about those issues and about water turn over rate and suddenly the emails stopped. I suspect that the system did not have anywhere near enough air flow to service my size pond. Back to the drawing board!

I agree with you about water volume. Way too little rain this year. I keep hoping for a freak summer rain storm but nothing so far.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
well i've been remiss in my pondmeister duties since early july, it has been a very busy summer! i had the extreme enjoyment of floating around on the jon boat this afternoon, enjoying an adult beverage, being followed by clouds of mosquito fish and curious GSF and BG. i took several measurements around the surface and averaged them up to put another point on the plot.

i am SOLD on the "night-only" bottom aeration, we have been in a big heat wave w/ daytime air temps to 105 and the average surface temp was only 85.....it simply cant get any higher as we are coming off a week of this heatwave w/ cooler weather ahead. the pH seems to have stabilized (all things being equal) around 9, but interestingly, in the surface water above the upper stream channel where the elodea and pondweed are prodigious, the pH was 9.4.....everywhere else it was 8.9 to 9.1. temps were also slightly higher in this area though.

anywho.....JHAP, i know you'd like to live vicariously through my data (you know, get a feeling for how yer pond is doing), but our situations have become quite different this summer now that i am aerating (and you have fresh spring water input).

the overall water level is down between 5 and 6 feet, the deep end still contains ~9 ft with two months to go.....fingers crossed, fish are happy and want to be fed each night, but i've been holding off, and only feeding about every three days or so.

GSF are people too!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Dave any chance you could have a small alkali seep in the bottom of the pond? What type of surface minerals do you have in the watershed ? It would be interesting to see a pH from early am. to gauge your pH swing.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
DIED,

That's a nice graph, just curious, have you been tracking DO levels as well?

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
eric, no seeps here, bone dry. the water table has disappeared into the bedrock below, my pond water resides on the clay band-aid i put in the pond a couple years ago. the bedrock is a slaty shale (a meta-volcanic type) that, in terms of dissolved minerals, imparts little to the surface water. down deep though, groundwater, which has had a long residence time in the bedrock, is extremely hard and has high iron and sulphur from dissolved pyrite.

i agree....i'll try and pick a day during our warm weather and get periodic readings from dawn to dusk....would make an interesting graph....

thanks ceadmin, i havent seen you post in a long time, welcome back. no i dont have a DO meter. IMO, they are too pricey for the amount and value of the data i (personally) would get from them given that i just have a humble and young sunfish pond.. if i was raising trout in a marginal climate, or raising fish as a business (from an aquaculture standpoint), i would definitely own one though.

i've watched large GSF come up from the depths during feeding time, so i know they are using the entire water column which was one of my aeration goals.

GSF are people too!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Dave, any sightings of the RES? You mentioned above both BG and GSF but not RES. Have you spotted any RES?

I'm curious as to whether or not our RES spawned this year have you been able to determine that?

I do live vicariously through through your data. It will be very interesting to see how closely our ponds correlate to each other or whether they are now completely different.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

D
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
D
jeff, with the hotspell, the RES have retired to deeper portions of the pond, and do not come out and play during feed time. i have spotted just a couple in the last month or so. i have not made time to dip net the shallows and see if i can tell what all successfully spawned. there are a GADZILLION gambusia which have probably made a HUGE dent in any offspring.

GSF are people too!

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM
Concrete pond construction
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:40 PM