Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kendal, BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS
18,531 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,015
Posts558,529
Members18,532
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
1 members (Energymble), 281 guests, and 198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Lunker
Lunker
"Quote" Why in the world are people not looking into this more? "Unquote"

GW I have found that most people don't look at the logical approch on most things. If it seams to be a good idea somhow it gets overlooked.

I have had problems with predators as well and I don't like to kill or have killed any animal that is just doing what comes natural. But you have to find ways to keep your property safe. If you do all you can to keep them safe and nothing else will work sometimes you have no choice. As you have said you don't have livestock and it may be if you did you might think a little different. But for the most part I will try to do what can be done without killing, case in point, we had a coon kill some chickens, we found out where it was getting in and put in a live trap, sure enough we caught it. We took it to another part of the woods, several miles away and turned it loose, as a matter of fact it had a metal ring from a can around its neck and we cut that off as well. However, we have killed a dog that was terrorizing the neighborhood, after it attacked one of our dogs in our front yard. The neighbor that owned the dog would not do any thing to keep it at home and it was one of the large white dogs, GP.
So where do you draw the line? DO you allow animals, wild or not, to kill and or maime yours simply because its nature?? I agree with you in that it would be better to find ways to stop the problem without killing, however nature will find a way to keep going and taking a "few" problem animals out of the picture will not cause a major drop of predators.

Chris
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
GW, Thanks for the suggestion on taste aversion and I may try that as part a over all plan of defense for long term protection.During the short term I don't think I could afford the learning period. In the short term I will continue shooting, trapping and feeding the secret family recipe since poising is "illegal "

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Taste aversion is an interesting idea and I like the experiment. I can see it working as long as no other coyotes move into the neighborhood. Or, as long as nothing happens to the teacher.

J. Frank Dobie wrote a durn good book about coyotes. Check it out.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Davidson1:

...J. Frank Dobie wrote a durn good book about coyotes. Check it out.
...Roadrunner, too.

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
It's nice to see some interest in alternative approaches. Just to be clear I'm going to repeat that I don't have a problem with killing predators if it fits some logical management plan.

Dr.Lowell K. Nicolaus has done a lot of research about conditioned taste aversion (CTA). He published an article on the web to counter all the disinformation that was going around about CTA. He did his best to write the article for regular people. A link to the article is at the bottom of this post. Here's a few quotes:

Quote:
Although at first many rejected the idea because it was so revolutionary, CTA is now probably supported by more solid empirical evidence than is any other behavioral process. With the sole exception of the wildlife management hierarchy in the United States, there is now no serious controversy within the scientific community concerning whether or not CTA exists as a unique and most powerful form of learning, or whether CTA can quickly produce long-term changes in predatory behavior.
 Quote:
The standard practices of shooting, poisoning or otherwise killing animal “pests” are not very selective, are increasingly resisted by the public, and have often failed to produce long-term reduction in depredation. For example, for more than a century coyotes have been extensively killed in the U.S. but both their range and their populations are actually expanding. Fences and other physical barriers are expensive, difficult to maintain....
 Quote:
...but the most relevant were Gustavson’s captive studies of wolves and coyotes. He demonstrated both would avoid the taste and scent of live prey after recovering from the effects of consuming a meat bait laced with an undetectable dose of an illness-causing substance (Lithium Chloride). In neither of Gustavson’s early studies were there any complex or special inducements to produce the effect. Healthy and unimpaired predators were simply allowed to kill and consume live prey in large enclosures to demonstrate that they were able and willing to engage in normal predatory behavior. Some days later they were given a meat bait with the taste and scent of the live prey that was laced with an undetectable amount of an aversion agent: lamb wool wrapped around a large amount of ground mutton with a moderate amount of Lithium Chloride well mixed with the meat. They were observed to become ill, were allowed to recover for several days on their usual dog food diet, deprived of food until they were very hungry, and then again placed into the enclosure with live prey. Predatory attack was suppressed, resulting in the prey surviving unharmed over post-test durations vastly exceeding predator-prey confrontations in nature. Later, CTA was tested in field trials to reduce coyote predation upon sheep and to induce coyotes to abandon campgrounds where they had been pestering tourists for food (23, 24). In these trials, treated sheep baits were distributed wherever free-ranging coyotes were most likely to find and consume them and changes in reported predation upon sheep were recorded. Although in these field trials other interpretations of the results were possible because it was not possible to make direct observations of predator-prey interactions, the simplest explanation was that CTA was produced and this resulted in the treatment effects that were reported. CTA to control coyote predation upon sheep was again successfully tested in a 3-year field project in Saskatchewan
 Quote:
Prey survive these encounters because predators with CTA respond to them with “disgust” rather than killing and eating them. Long after having recovered from eating a treated sheep bait, captive wolves and coyotes gag and retreat as though punished again by the mere scent of live sheep
 Quote:
Claims made by the U.S. government that CTA failed to “work” were founded on tests of CTA that failed to replicate work reported by Gustavson and others. When the tests reporting “failures” of CTA were first published, it was our opinion that the reported results were perfectly reasonable…given the procedures that were used. The problem was these tests failed to replicate Gustavson’s studies.
 Quote:
They report that predators as different as rats, cormorants , and red foxes quickly formed CTA and avoided referent prey at a distance over many trials; findings very much at odds with their American counterparts. Their work confirmed again that our successes in producing CTA were not merely due to some special talent that only we possessed. The other event was my discovery of a web site maintained by the federal agency with which those reporting “failed” CTA are most consistently associated. This is the National Wildlife Research Center of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. I invite all to read this page. It is: www.aphis.usda.gov/ws/nwrc/flavor.htm. It is anonymous and cites no published evidence for its many claims. Among these are the claims that CTA somehow does not suppress predatory attack and so cannot produce beneficial effects in a cost-effective manner and that CTA is too sensitive to “procedural variations”. These amazing assertions contradict a very large body of scientific evidence (for a few examples: 5, 6, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 33, 35, 43). Beyond its falsehoods, the web site seems to me to serve no purpose other than to try to extinguish, in the strongest possible language, any further discussion on the use of CTA. Thus, the rumors I have ignored for many years now seem to have been publicly confirmed for the first time by the tone and content of this web site. That is, it appears that resistance to CTA within the American wildlife management hierarchy indeed is, like CTA itself, more a matter of the gut than of reason.
ARTICLE

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Quote: "taste aversion. It's hard for me to understand why there isn't more interest in this approach. It seems to me like it is a low cost and effective way to minimize predation on livestock."

Answer: Cause 30-06 shells are cheaper than steaks.

Quote: "I do quite a bit of deer hunting but, as a trophy hunter, seldom pull the trigger."

Reality: if you hunt for trophy's your no better than the folks that kill every coyote they see and hang there trophies on the fence corners to show them off.

Sorry I couldn't resist. I know you guys are having a somewhat serious discussion so I'll be democratic about it and tee off both sides.
\:D

If you guys start discussing the death penalty and Human predators & pray I'll try to be more serious.

I can't get to serious about this subject cause I raise longhorns and they don't put up with predators. And yes I trophy hunt too. Problem is all my trophies get a case of the dreaded ground shrinkage decease.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Quote:
Originally posted by GW:
That's ok rt, I don't expect to be taken seriously. I'm the guy that wants to build a pond with shallow water and gradual banks, then stock Goggle eyes as the top predator and feed them maggots that I raised from kitchen scraps. \:\)
:D \:D \:D funny gee-dub

whereas i "fixed" a pond in bedrock that still leaks, in a desert-like environment w/ no summer water, stock GSF as top predator, and run around and chase grasshoppers in the water. hey what can i say?, i thought this was normal behavior.

GSF are people too!

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
GW SORRY TO UPSET YA BUT I BELEAVE A MAN HAS TO DO WHAT HE HAS TO DO TO PROTECT HIS LIVELYHOOD FROM WHAT EVER THRET MAY COME BE IT MAN OR BEAST.
I AM OLD SCHOOL IN A NEW SCHOOL WORLD AND CHANGE COMES TO ME SLOW IF AT ALL.
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND KINDNESS YOU AND THE OTHERS HAVE SHOWN ME BY..............

FROM RODEO TO STANDIN AROUND WATCHIN THE FISH EAT
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I wanna see what gee dub does when those overgrown goggleyes, attack his prize black swans.

Lets Rodeo, you dont have to apologize for your thoughts. I'm still laughing at the whatever taste aversion; it may work in pens and a controlled situation, but if they dont eat your livestock, enough of them will eat something. I DO like the idea of goat pieces spiked with birth control. BTW "They shoot horses, dont they?"

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Careful GW. I know you are kidding but personal comments about others can cause problems.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by GW:
letsrodeo, I would try to change your mind, but by the time I did I would probably be as old and cranky as you. \:\)

By the way did I mention that I kill things? Got guns too. I guess I'm the "gun totin' bleedin' heart".

burger, I would like to have you over for dinner. I'm making mutton.
That's about right; the coyotes get reparations; I get neutered or poisoned. \:D I'm ready for another round of 'puns intended'.

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
I apologize to letsrodeo if my attempt at good natured teasing offended.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
RT, I guess I should have said that I haven't pulled the trigger in years. Also, ground shrinkage is never a problem for me. Over the years, I've turned into a lousy shot. Yeah, I know. I need to practice more. Don't tell my Grandson. He thinks I'm perfect.

My most memorable moment was when I killed a really big bull elk in Northern Arizona. It meant that I no longer had to climb mountains, sleep on the ground and freeze my tail off. It took 5 years.

GW, I like the idea of behavior modification and my wife has been trying it on me for years. It has had limited results but I find that it has not dulled her enthusiasm to get me house broken or even litter box trained. Sure glad that she hasn't tried to get me to eat mutton. Asparagus is bad enough.

I doubt that I would try taste aversion on coyotes. Why? I'm a predator and enjoy fighting alligators more than I do draining the swamp. Like LetsRodeo, I'm also "old World".

An interesting story: About 25 years ago, I used to hunt on a small ranch in Central Texas. He raised some of the meanest Brahma cows that I've ever run into. I found it best to avoid them. One morning, I found some fence down but saw no tracks on the other side of the fence. I quit hunting and headed to the house to get tools and materials to fix it. The old Rancher asked what I was going to do and I told him. He said "Aw heck Son, those cows won't get out". I asked why not? He said that if a cow got out, he took it to auction and got rid of it. When he saw my puzzled look, he explained that he was raising beef and had no interest in training cows. It seemed to work and I've never forgotten old John Martin. This follows the old stock market adage of selling at the point of sleeping. If something keeps you awake at night, get rid of it.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
GW, mine was a pint of 100 proof Smirnoff at 17 YOA. I haven't touched vodka since that day.

Those of us that are "Old School" might change our tools but not our experiences.

Lunker
Lunker
I may be wrong but... I thought "old school" was Kill them all and let God sort them out. \:D \:D \:D
Sorry I couldn't resist. :p

Chris
Lunker
Lunker
\:D \:D \:D

Chris
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
My taste aversion happened with Tequila when I was fourteen.

Couldn't touch it for years, but I'm glad to say that it's all good now twenty four years later.

What's the life span of a coyote?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
The average life span of coyotes is five to six years in the wild

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
With CTA the coyotes will pass the habit of avoiding the target livestock on to future generations. At least that's how I interpret the data.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Things are getting a little dicey up in here.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
Lunker
I was thinking of deleting the whole thread, george, but there IS a lot of interesting info herein.

Just like in high school, sophomores need to learn not to mess with seniors.

Better behavior, please, gentlemen.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Taste aversion works great...on one or two animals. The thought of using it on packs of coyotes is IMHO, purt-near impossible, cost and application wise. The only reasonable control is to kill coyotes enmass and the rapid reproduction and lower deer population will re-balance in a year or two. As a matter of opinion, (if the golf course deer were the main food source), I believe killing the coyotes rapidly is MUCH more humane than allowing them to starve slowly.
My $.02.

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Hi Rainman, I agree with you about reducing any wild population when it represents intelligent wildlife control.

Your statements indicate that you have had direct experience with CTA. Since your experience is contrary to the research done by Dr. Nicolaus it would be nice if you would share the details with us. He and other scientists published carefully controlled experiments that determined CTA does work and unless your experience involves an equally scientific approach it doesn't carry much weight.

I don't know Dr. Nicolaus any better than I know you, but he has 44 referenced studies to back up his position.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
One day a couple of years ago I noticed that my neighbors Angus cows were very upset and moving into a circle pushing the calves into their circle. Then I saw the reason.... 5 coyotes.

I sent my wife to the house to get my trusty .308. I killed 2 of them before they decided to leave the cows & calves alone that day. Strangely enough when the first one was hit they didn't even look to see what was happening. They were still trying to get a calf. When the 2d one went down they al took off.

Last summer I heard my doberman raising hell. I was busy and didn't go to see what all the commotion was about. It was later that I realized that one of my Jack Russells was missing. In the next 3 days I killed 2 coyotes from a blind I made in my back yard.

I haven't seen any around the house since. I know that doesn't mean they aren't around. I think instead of taste aversion they have found a place to avert.

Jack.....
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by GW:
He and other scientists published carefully controlled experiments that determined CTA does work and unless your experience involves an equally scientific approach it doesn't carry much weight.
GW, I don't think it's so much about whether it would work. I think it's more about who's going to create the program, pay for it, administer it, and do the actual leg work. The Devil is in the details, as they say.

Maybe coyotes are a bad example. They're just too smart and adaptable, and I think it's impossible to stop their range expansion. Long term, they adapt to any deterrent, and nothing can completely stop them. I guess a great pyranese or similar dog is the most humane solution. The choice boils down to feeding 1 huge dog, or a bunch of little dogs.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Don Wallace, scott69
Recent Posts
Bird Deter for patio furniture....
by Energymble - 05/17/24 04:46 AM
Trapping the Crays
by Boondoggle - 05/16/24 11:22 PM
BG sex?
by Bill Cody - 05/16/24 08:50 PM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond