Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
nycfishrescue, KDW, kmilam, Soundguy, RyanH
18,545 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,028
Posts558,670
Members18,546
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,608
ewest 21,518
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,165
Who's Online Now
2 members (Boondoggle, Snipe), 345 guests, and 370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#91725 07/25/07 08:34 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I sure don't want to give away any of the contents of the July/August issue. However, the last sentence on page 51, written by Mr. Lusk himself, states:

Quote:
"The next Pond Boss conference is tentatively scheduled for early March, 2008."
Does anyone know if this is just a cognitive disassociation (brain f*rt), or is this true?

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Lunker
Lunker
I gotta read that page!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
cat, I too read the proposal for a 2008 PB conference. There was talk at the conference last March that it may be best to have a conference every other year. It seems Bob is eager to make this an annual event.

I am wondering what happened to the DVD production of the 2007 conference. Things been very quite on that topic. I am wondering if they are having trouble tranfering a good sound track to the video since there was some problems recording a few of the presentations.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I sure hope there is a March '08 conference ... I could kick myself for missing the first one!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Lets help Bob gauge this by checking to see how many are seriously interested in and able to attend the PB2 convention. How would you seriously rate your chance of attending a 2 day PB conference in March at DFW. Choose one of the following :

probable , possible , or doubtful

This needs to be accurate - so no teasing . No one should try to explain their answer. The real #s are important - so if you would be more comfortable sending a PM to me I will add the #s with no names. Your answer will be anonymous . You can also PM me with reasons or thoughts and I will compile them - again I will post some reasons anonymously in a general fashion. Thanks so much for any input. \:\)

Lunker
Lunker
Probable, very probable.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Probable.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Sent you a PM Ewest.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Very Probable if it can be like last year's -- a Friday and Saturday.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Probable

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Probable for me.
I'll answer for davatsa...Probable

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
probable...will have to shut my shop down,but dont want to miss it again.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
probable- the earlier in March the better.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Possible

A little snow, Please!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
probable

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I'm a probable, hated that I missed the last one but it was too close my the second baby coming.

Shawn

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Very Probable if weekend of March 8th. If scheduled for later in march - only possible. If in April - impossible. Jeff's wife has a pond (JWHAP) will be along also - she says she absolutely has to me some of you characters (and after living with me she knows her characters).

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
a high probability.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
probable

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
absolutely probable

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

G
G
highly probable

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
a solid probable

Just do it...
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Yes, probable.

20 acres of trees & 3/4 acre pond.

"Home of the future Texas state HSB record for Private ponds"
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
probable

assuming no train wrecks come my way next spring.

JWHAP.... \:D \:D \:D

GSF are people too!

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Probable

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Originally posted by dave in el dorado ca:
probable

assuming no train wrecks come my way next spring.
I'll begin sending out positive karmic energy waves so that no train wreck will occur.

ROAD TRIP BAAAAABYYYYY! Ok, it will probably actually be a air plane trip but you know what I mean.

Hang on conventions goers, if everything works out the El Dorado Mafia will be in da houze. "For skizzle my drizzle. Yo!"

Moderators, I have absolutely no idea what I just said (which is not all that uncommon) hopefully that is not a curse word or a disparaging statement. It was just JHAP attempting to imitate Snoop Polly Wogg. I am just excited at the prospect that DIED and I both have a "probable" regarding convention attendance."

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
[Edit: OOPS!

I removed a post here regarding some alternative ideas. One of the moderators suggested I run it past Bob Lusk first.

I fully agree.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Ken G.]

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Cat has a idea that might be a possibility. Regular PB meeting on the even year and regional meetings / get-to-gethers on the odd year. A lot of people can not attend the regular meeting since it is too far away for them. TX is a long way from PA, Montana, Calif, and Canada. But an occassional regional meeting may be easier for distant members to attend.

Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by catmandoo:

I removed a post here regarding some alternative ideas. One of the moderators suggested I run it past Bob Lusk first.

I fully agree.

Ken G.]
:( Aww, shucks. That post was like one of those job descriptions that looks like it was written just for me - the kind that beg me to apply for them because the requirements match me perfectly.

I never get hired for any of those jobs, either. \:D

Ken, if we get the time and the people, I think I know the place.

-S. M. Stirling
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I would go for sure if a one day pass was available. I'm local and only want to attend one day to meet everyone and attend only a few of the programs.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Cat,
I see no need to have removed your post of July 29th. It was just an idea and pond ideas are a form of creative thinking on this forum. Plans were not being formed. Lusk hopefully keeps an eye on things here or members advise him of notable posts when he is "asleep at the wheel".

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
possibly probable, along with a another pond buddy. We are kicking ourselves for not attending the first.

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by catmandoo:

I fully agree.

Ken G.]
All right, let's start over. Last night before I went to bed, I posted an idea about regional Pond Boss get togethers during the years when we don't have a full conference. In my pre-dawn stupor, I had only a few minutes to look at a message from one of the moderators. In my panic of possible censure, and before my abnormal 2 hour commute into the Washington DC suburbs, I took down my post.

After several kind messages, I'm reposting:

Quote:
It certainly seems like there is a desire to get together. But, having been on the organizing end of a number of conferences over the years, I know how much time and work it takes to put one together. I think it would be really difficult to put together a national conference at this late date.

What would some of you think about having some regional off-year get togethers? For those interested, maybe we could agree on a few places that would put people at the extremes within a 6 hour drive.

For instance, I looked at the area above and below a line between Chicago and Washington DC. That puts Columbus, OH just about in the middle of a 12 hour drive. It puts Buffalo NY and Knoxville, TN within about a 5 hour drive.

Maybe a Friday evening dinner, a Saturday breakfast, and a three or four hour workshop.

Thoughts and ideas??

For those of us in this proposed area, is there any possibility that we might have any PB members anywhere in Ohio, especially central Ohio, who could see if there might be any facilities available that could handle 25-50 crazed pond enthusiasts?

Ken
Over the years, I've put together a number of regional conferences like this at very little cost. We have a good time. The attendees provide the program. We go home, and hopefully the winter ice is off our ponds.

Ken G.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ken!! Take that post down immediately!

(Just kidding) ;\)

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Condello:
Ken!! Take that post down immediately!

(Just kidding) ;\)
Bruce,

I don't know whether it is good news or bad news, but when I started this crazed idea, I drew several more 6-hour circles between major cities. There is a town in Nebraska that is almost exactly six driving hours from Minneapolis, Denver, and Oklahoma City.

The description said something like "The airport in this city is among the emergency landing sites for the NASA Space Shuttle, and the top location located within the non-coastal United States. It becomes the largest city in the mid-West during certain college football rivalry games. The area is also know for a particular strain of large-toothed sunfish that are claimed to be the largest in the world."

Seems like a good place for a conference.

Ken

(Just kidding \:\) -- maybe! )

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks Ken. Glad you put it back up. Ideas are welcome here anytime.

Several people have sent PMs indicating - probable , one probable to possible and one with a suggestion like Ken's. We have to keep in mind that not everyone is in a position to go to a convention. We wish everyone could have the opportunity to meet each other . All are welcome here and encouraged to join in as equals whether you can go to a convention or not.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Ken, Thanks for re-posting the thoughtful idea about occassional get togethers. If I had to drive to TX I would not go. My butt is already too flat.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I'd be probable for both national or regional meetings.

For regional meetings, great technical depth as far as presentations or papers would not be a consideration in my mind. It would be more social for me.

You are all a bunch of geeks anyway.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sunil:
I'd be probable for both national or regional meetings.

For regional meetings, great technical depth as far as presentations or papers would not be a consideration in my mind. It would be more social for me.
No need to pretend you didn't attend the PB Conference solely for the technical content, Sunil. Those of us who were at Arlington know better.

I have checked and Central Ohio can meet your bare minimum technical requirements:

-S. M. Stirling
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I also like the idea of both regional and national conventions.

A couple of thoughts/observations from a really early morning meandering mind (started at 4:00 a.m.):

Gary Condo (Pond Rookie)and I did the first PB one at D/FW Airport in Texas. It was mostly Trent Lewis's fault. I told him that I thought it would be neat to get together with some local D/FW guys to actually meet them. He posted it on the Forum, Lusk called and as Jackie Gleason used to say "and away we go". Putting it together was pretty darn time consuming and 17 or 18 guys came. Without Gary, it wouldn't have happened. It was pretty neat putting names with faces and Lusk did all of the talking. At the end of the day, everybody went home or fishing.

Frank Pinkston did the second one in Atlanta. Lusk, Otto, and I flew in. Ewest brought the family from Mississippi. Also a neat opportunity to meet friends. Lots of work from Frank and others. Lusk did most of the talking. The only vendors present, other than Greg and Deb, was from Cary Martin. Cary gave away an aerator and did a presentation on aeration. I think about 25 people showed up. Had a ball and I got to ride in Gregs shock boat.

The third was when Lusk hauled his child bride to Condello for dental work. A bunch of mid westerners showed up and they seined Bruces ponds. Everybody had a ball.

Fast forward; Stage 4 was the National. It was a HUGE undertaking with significant financial risk from Lusk, Otto and Wyman. Even though it was an overwhelming success, I doubt that it did more than break even financially and maybe didn't. Since the pond business is still a cottage industry, there was a lot of doubt about its success and some potential vendors didn't participate. They blew it and several have since told me that. The logistics were really tough when you consider airline availability, a brick and mortar place to have it, timing (Super Bowl, etc.), hotel accomodations, family friendly town, etc. Lots of behind the scenes negotiations, scratch a lot of neat ideas as financially and logistically impractical, phone and shoe leather time, absolute ignorance on how to do this, getting Theo to ride in an airplane, Liability Insurance (any explosives? anybody carring a gun?), Security, danged expensive sandwiches, last minute celebrity "no shows", and copious amounts of cash committed by PB. Most of the convention centers are reserved years in advance and we settled for the only possible weekend at the only possible place. We actually got lucky on getting into Arlington. This is a take what you can get deal and we didn't know it. Heck, the Mayor of Arlington wouldn't even show to make a welcoming speech. Lots of time consumed on things that seemed to make sense but just didn't work out. I did less than 1% of the work and it was overwhelming. I bet Kathy slept for a week afterward. Without vendor participation to pay the bills, it ain't gonna happen. Somebody oughta write a "Dummies Guide" book about this stuff.

To the point: I love the idea of informal Regional get togethers. However, even with that, somebody is going to work their tail off to do it right. The national was a huge success for vendors and attendees but probably not for Pond Boss itself. I doubt that Lusk, Otto and Wyman made money on the deal. It might have made money had Lusk not insisted on "doing it right". Of the attendees, I doubt that over 15 to 20% were Forum guys. Most were magazine subscribers and from advertising in Texas.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
... getting Theo to ride in an airplane ...
LOOK OUT FOR THE TREES!

-S. M. Stirling
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Dave thanks for explaining the honest assesment. I personally would rather see a national conv. that I may not attend but every other year than a regional that only attracts a few. I enjoyed the talks and networking aspect of national. I may see it diff being in the business.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I will ask Bob to chime in here. There have been other meetings done locally by Bob and still others instigated by clients that other people attended and professional conventions. That said Dave provided most of the more recent history. I doubt, but don't know for sure , if PB broke even on the last convention.

I think there will be a national convention in March 08 with national scope speakers. I sure don't want to do anything to undercut that as it is the ultimate PB experience. Bob will need our collective support for the convention to be a success. I think that about 40% of the attendees were forum members many in multiple roles ( vendor or speaker and attendee).

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Folks, Kathy is checking dates in March for Pond Boss Conference, II.
We learned immensely from the first one. Pond Boss lost money, but it was probably the best money we have ever lost.
Networking among the pros was significant. Many of the pros landed deals with vendors such as BassPro, Cabela's, etc. Also, some of the pros landed good sales with attendees who need work. Some of the vendors landed deals, too. Sweeney, Vertex, Purina...their networking was valuable, also.
So, there is an overwhelming demand to have the conference again. I've been in Mexico on a church mission trip and immediately hit the road when I got home. I'm in Columbus, Indiana, getting ready to fire up the manly Dodge truck and head south and west. Upon my return, I'll get with Kathy and we'll start work on the next conference.
As far as the regional meetings, I think it's wise. I would try to attend as a speaker and to meet the Pond Boss faithful, as long as expenses are covered. The way I see it, for regional meetings, someone locally will need to take the ball and put it together, like Dave Davidson did and the good folks like Frank in Georgia and Condello in Nebraska. We also had one in Illinois, on Fred and Connie Bingaman's front porch. I would want to be involved to make sure any of the speakers or vendors meet Pond Boss' rigid business and ethical standards. No chaff at these meetings, please.
As you can imagine, my focus needs to stay on the conference, producing the magazine (and not being late)and doing what I do to make a living.
So, as soon as I get a minute to sit down with Kathy and start looking at dates, we'll get that ball rolling and let everyone know.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Lusk wrote: "No chaff at these meetings, please"

And you know who you are.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Convention 2008!!!!

You guys had me worried with this every other year convention talk.

Regional meetings: California holds regional meetings every time DIED and I get together. I think we are the only Californians that post here on a regular basis. We allow "chaff" at our meetings - if we didn't it would be DIED meeting by himself and he talks to himself enough as it is. \:D

That's it - just excited about the prospect of going to a PB convention in 2008.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Lunker
I am SOOO here

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OK Fattay, if you say so. Just don't try to leave early on the Saturday night like you did last March.

M
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
M
Looking forward to a 2008 convention -- definitely COUNT ME IN!!!

"Pushing to Please"

Pond Boss Conference Attendee 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 & 2015
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
OK Fattay, if you say so. Just don't try to leave early on the Saturday night like you did last March.

OK OK i will stay later next time

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
First catch from new pond
by Snipe - 05/24/24 11:25 PM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Snipe - 05/24/24 10:25 PM
TadpolePalooza!
by H20fwler - 05/24/24 07:28 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Sunil - 05/24/24 06:20 PM
Spillway recovery from record rains
by gehajake - 05/24/24 12:50 PM
Help with Bass eye growth issue
by Sunil - 05/24/24 12:34 PM
Water hyacinth woes: Dredging?
by RossC - 05/23/24 07:57 PM
Water Test Report - Adjusting PH?