Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,058
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (emactxag, jpsdad, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake, catscratch), 652 guests, and 185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
B-ski, sorry for the late response I just ran across your post. Have you had a chance to use the floor plan software yet? I purchased Punch professional Home design suite about 5 years ago. I see they have more upgraded packages these days. They appear to be the same as the one you have mentioned. The one I have has landscape design included. I didn't find much use for it because of it's limitations but it is defiantly a good tool to start your basic floor plan. If you have enough time you can create the entire interior and then render a 3d photo of it. The landscape package allows you to lay out a plan view and pick out the species of plants and pick the age of plants you want. You can actually see what it would look like when planted, then 10 years down the road.

http://www.punchsoftware.com/full_store.html

I don't use it for doing real jobs but its fun to play with. I'm a mechanical guy so even the cad programs I use want compare to the architectural programs that Architects use for residential design. Another words I have to do extra hand work that is automated in the architectural programs.
Have fun with it.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
B-ski here is a picture of our house during construction with the large trees still alive. It really was heart breakeing when we lost them. The second picture is current with the trees we planted in a effort to replace them.

It should also be noted that the house is now 10 years old. The cedar has started to weather. We haven't decided if we are going to let it grayout naturally or restain. If you can live with weathered look of cedar it is basically maintainance free.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rocky-T,
Man, learning to use new programs can be daunting. It is a very cool program for design, but I am taking it slow; the learning curve will take some time. They have an on-line forum and I have already posted a question about creating a window that is not in their database. I'ts been a week and no response yet (this would never happen on the PB forum!). It does have the ability to create the landscaping; not sure about projecting maturity. It does have all the 3-D stuff and it can convert views to "photo-realistic". Anyway, I'm gonna try to stick with it and learn a little at a time. Lord knows I won't be breaking ground for another house before I can master the program to design it. At this moment, time is definitely on my side.
-
Both pics above are exceptional, but #2 wins for the total package. I love cedar too, but the maintenance to keep the "look" is a killer. Did you find that the sheltered areas under the roof overhang weathered much better and are less faded?

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
The porch areas have little if any weathering. They still look as good as the day we stained them. We used a transparent stain with cedar color when we did it to keep the natural look as much as we could.
We learned when we built the storage house the easiest way to appy the stain was to use a pump sprayer and follow with a brush to catch the runs. It covers a lot of area very fast.

Good luck with the design tool I couldn't ever make mine draw a Rap around porch, I lost interest and gave up on it.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Wow, I almost forgot.....
Go back to the previous page and head down to the country beauty at the page bottom.
Ryan...that is one beautiful crib. I know I have seen some of the other pics from the backside when you illustrated some of your pond stuff. The front is, indeed, an impressive country palace. Thanks for adding it to this thread!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...time to wake this thread back up and try to add some new players. Jim's Place, Tim Sanders, Theo, & Eric in TN have added some very creative human habitat to their ponds and sites...I sure hope I can entice them to post pics & summaries here, along with links to the thread details. I'm still waitin' & hopin' for all the other HH projects goin' on out there...big, small, and creative.
I'll kick it back off with the completion of our pondsite viewing platform; a 14' x 16' deck with 4' x 30' access dock. The entire over-detailed thread (yeah, another B-ski specialty) resides here . The cliff note pics are here:
-
-

-

-

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Bski quite putting salt in my wounds. Your mean.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Brettski asked me to link our treehouse project to this thread. The treehouse thread has more info on this project.

My children and I decided to build a treehouse in a huge beech tree that is situated in the middle of our pond site. We hated to see the tree just pushed over and burned, so before the pond is built we cut the top out of the tree (to keep the wind from blowing the dead trunk over) and built a 12'x12' platform supported solely by the trunk of the tree. We have a plywood floor, trapdoor to a ladder, and a railing around the edge. We want to add some type of shade/roof but haven't decided on this yet. We also plan to have some kind of floating platform at the bottom of the trapdoor ladder so that you can step out of boat onto a landing before climbing the ladder.

We are waiting now on the pond construction and look forward to seeing our treehouse sitting in the middle of a 2-3 acre pond nestled down in a valley surrounded by hills and trees (at least that's our vision). We hope to see it being used for picnics, swimming, fishing, mock battles, early morning quiet times, sunset watching, and meaningful conversations. We're trying not to get too attached to it since we know someday it will likely be fish structure, but we're hoping for several years of enjoyment.

Psalm 24:1-2
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Okay, Brettski. The things we'll do for our Man of Steel.

I built a 6'x8' storage shed, weatherproof and (mouse-sized & up) vermin proof, on the bank of my pond to hold fishing stuff and my pond-side electrical system (circuit breaker panel, air pump, refrigerator, etc.). The shed utilizes basic pole-barn contruction methods, with minor modifications (tonque & groove flooring) and simplifications (no soffet or gutters/downspouts).

A 10'by20' deck, attached to the pond-side of the shed, is planned but not scheduled. I will post info on it when I build it.

I have a complete set of construction photos, taken at 1/2 day or less intervals, and material price summary available. If anyone is interested, let me know and I can E-Mail the stuff to you. See I built an Oarhouse ...

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
BSKI it's all your fault I can't stop. Here is the final ramblin ranch design(I think) for the pond property. I couldn't get the Radical LNP off my mind. It breed with the ramlin ranch and a new creature was born.

This is a pic looking from the drive across the lake from the dam.

Here is closeup view of the structure

It features a 16 x 48 porch lake side with a 16x16 deck above. I have incorporated 2 sets of these bad boys http://www.jeld-wen.com/exteriordoors/wood/iwp/index.cfm/collection_id/99 leading from the living area to the huge porch. I may also change the fire place to double as an exterior unit as well. Enjoy.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Hoky smokes, Rocky-T...are you serious about this one?
Have you toyed with enlarging the roof dormers just a wee bit? I'm just curious what it would look like bringing them out of that expansive roof mass a little more.
-
-
man...you've been busy.

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I did that once, had five dormers and extended all from the out side wall to the ridge, it was amazing how much extra room the small addition provided.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
like this?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
BAM!

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I like the bigger dormers, but it kinda takes away from the granduer of the entry, I'll need to ponder for a while on this one.

Better yet I'll let the proud new owners decide what they want.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Pull the entrance roof out about 6 - 8' directly away from the house and support the end on larger verts (cedar logs?)...kind of an entrance canopy.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Rockytopper,
What program are you using to build your home and then add them to a picture. Very nice job!

opps, nevermind I started over on the thread and found my answer.

A little snow, Please!
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Trail, I'm using a 3d cad program for the design. Unless your in the business believe me you can't afford it, As for adding to a picture I'm using powerpoint & paint both microsoft office products. If you look above brettski & I discuss some DIY software you can purchase for less than 100$ it will allow you to design the house and render landcape around it in a 3D pic also. It has limits that's why I don't use it even thou I have it.

Bski stop it, quite pushing me over board, I've got to stop somewhere.

I'll run with your idea after I finsh the zero edge pool I'm adding to the front between house and pond. For now I have to go weld on my entrance.....

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I am happy with google sketch up but havent figured out how to post it as a picture. I bet I can post it in paint or even photo shop so I can show my room add on that I have just started

A little snow, Please!
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
trail any thing you have on your screen "any program doesn't matter" you can hit the screen print key on your pc and then open power point and right click and paste. You can then crop the picture how you like and right click on it and do a picture save as. Jpg or other formats. good luck

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...here we go again
I am so tired of hauling tools (and pretty much everything) that I need for a day of productivity at the project. Make a list of what I need a few days before, load it all up the night before, b**ch and moan when I get there and I forgot that one stupid little tool that would make all the difference. Oh yeah, then unload it all when I get back home. D-ski got tired of my remark "dang, I need that pry bar...would you go to the shed and..." Ooops, no shed...yet.
-

#3 rebar at 12" o.c. ea way. 2 x 6 forms, slab varies 6" - 8" I thought about Eric in New York. He's the pondmeister that digs his ponds with a shovel and wheelbarrow, right? A little shovel work, cutting back the grade. I kneel and praise the guy that can do that stuff all day, let alone a pond.
-

-
10' x 12' slab. This pic is right after I sprinkled it with water in preparation for the plastic cover to cure.
I actually took out a permit about 2 months ago for a 16' x 20' shed , but figgered I needed to start small to prepare for those bigger jobs down the road. This is the first time I have actually done flat work that required a decent finish. Boy, I learned alot. Boy, I ache alot. Turned out OK. We located it, tucked into a notch in the woods, about 100 feet from the new dock/deck. A good place to store some nicer chairs and stuff for R & R.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Watcha gonna put up?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
2 x 4 frame construction; 8' high walls; 7' wide metal-panel overhead (garage style)door; 32" wide steel service door with window; single or double hung vinyl window on opposite wall from service door; vinyl siding; 6-12 sheathed roof finished with snap-lock metal roofing panels. Oh yeah...insulated w/drywall and a porta potti before we get poison ivy you-know-where.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
b'ski, nice job.

dont know if you have this in yer thoughts, but if you put a row of cinder block around perimeter and build yer shed walls off those you significantly raise the level of wood from ground level helping to keep bugs, moisture etc. from messing with siding. extend those bolts through the cinder blocks, mortar in the cinder blocks, and away you go. thats what i did on my shed (w/ neighbors help), and really glad i did it.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
No bidet?

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 07:52 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails