Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
3 members (Layne, Angler8689, anthropic), 616 guests, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
V
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
V
Love the designs RockyTopper. We bought our house 'used and abused' and have worked on it every day since. This summer we did some exterior work. We added the front covered porch, new siding, all new windows. There are still a couple of things outside to do (a little painting, a little staining, some stone work), but it is coming along.

Brettski: We went with Anderson windows, Low-E Glass (not tinted) to replace the existing Anderson windows that were about 25 years old. We have noticed a difference and are pretty happy. Heating and cooling isn't too bad. We are not happy with our Anderson Doors, but that has more to do with the locking mechanisms.

We heat with an oil hot water system that I have connected to a hot water boiler. We burn wood all winter and it keeps the house very warm. You'll have firewood with all of that property, but don't know how you will feel about all of the work. It is rewarding for me to burn wood and 'stick it to the Man' by saving some cabbage. Our roof is very steep, and as such I added a permanent ladder to access the chimney. I would seriously consider an outside boiler if you are interested in wood heat. Use a heat pump along with the central air unit to use when the weather is chilly enough for heat but not hot enough for the wood or oil. Perhaps you may go with Propane.

Our house used to be covered in T-111 siding. The woodpeckers, carpenter bees, and flying squirrels all love T-111 and had torn it up. We replaced it with Cement Board Siding (Certainteed) that we stained in our barn and applied over Tyvek wrap over the T-111 siding. This Cement Siding can be applied over masonry (I think). I know someone who is building concrete, cast in place homes and I was pretty sure he told me they were using this board.

If I was building a house from new, I would make sure to run extra drains around the basement to protect from water infiltration, pipe all of that along with all of the roof drains to a footer drain and run it well away from the house.

I like RockyToppers design and would be sure to add ceiling fans on that porch for those summer evenings.

Our new front porch was put up by some local Amish folks who are just a blast to work with. This particular family builds mortice and tenon homes and buildings. The buildings are built in their barn (shop) and trucked to the site. They travel during summer months to Maine where they have built some amazing island homes in a few days to a week. Just stunning.

I would have chosen a metal roof if the cost was a little closer to the comp shingle. With our steep roof, though, the shingles should outlast a typical 30 year shingle.

I would avoild any type of Drive-It over wood or masonry. Some woodpeckers love it.

I hope this helps in some way or another. I have read every one of your posts and just love tracking the progress.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Victor, Very nice place congrats.
I'm a fan of natural Red cedar. You have stained the concrete Board and in the photo's it looks very natural & close to the real thing.It will probably out last cedar and be less of a fire hazard. It's much cheaper too. Again you have a very nice place.

I'm envious of you guys that live in the part of the USA and have access to larger timber beams like the Amish use for construction. They are hard to come by and very expensive to ship down in these parts. I have to use lam beams and wrap them, not near as nice as the real thing.

and B-ski you thought my roof was steep.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nice woodland castle, Victor...very nice, indeed.
I have Andersen low-E windows throughout our principal residence. They are alum-clad exterior and stained/polyurethane pine interior. The home is a modular cape cod, so it's real "tight". Donna-ski and I converted the upstairs to living space, so I did my standard over-engineer job on pretty much everything....including the insulation and vapor barrier. We installed the vapor barrier between the heated living space and the insulation so tight that it's like a submarine. The entire area is extremely energy efficient, but it has a drawback. Now, any humidity during extreme cold vaporizes on the windows as sweat. The sweat eventually gets into the stiles and rails of sash frame and compromise my perfect finish; likely the integrity to a degree, also. My point: next crib may very likely be windows constructed from plastic. In fact, I seem to remember seeing a TOH episode where they went to a name brand window factory for a TV tour. I remember a plastic window that is now manufactured to faux wood finishes....this makes real good sense to me. The additional expense could easily be worth it. We had a 72" Andersen sliding patio door, same compostion. It was unacceptably drafty. The factory gave me credit to buy up to the hinged french door units. Absolutely airtight, but the plastic coated exterior failed in a few places after about 4 years, so a new n/c set is setting in the basement, waitin' for me to find the time.
I must have a maintenance-free exterior on a pond house, or at least a very large portion of it. That, and yes, we have plenty of WP's. I foresee 1/2" OSB sheathing + caulk at the seams (modular home trick) + Tyvek. I really think that a custom color vinyl siding will take a priority in design. I even looked at the new vinyl siding that looks like logs, but it's expensive and might look even cheesier after they age. log siding link
We used to be houseboaters on a large lake in central Illinois, Lake Shelbyville. Also set in Amish country. A local Amish family did some pretty intricate canvas work for us. The same thing; they come out and take a bunch of measurements, go home to the gas fired equipment shop, crank it out, and return to install. It fits like a glove...amazing quality and craftsmanship.
Metal roof is gonna be a must. I learned with the last weekend crib that we cashed in to move on this new project. Asphalt shingles along a river. The humidity laughs at zinc roof strips.
I'm not sure I understand
 Quote:
avoild any type of Drive-It over wood or masonry. Some woodpeckers love it
please expand.
Thanks for the kudos on our project. You deserve the same rite bakatcha for the restoration job ya did with your crib. Thanks for sharing. Any cool pics of the interior?

V
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
V
Thanks for the nice comments, guys. It has taken us twelve years to get to this point and has been anything but easy. Our proposed pond project is lining up to be just as daunting, but it wouldn't be nearly as rewarding if it was easy.

I will work on some interior photos. Hopefully they will help you as you plan your next step.

As for the exterior finish. The Certainteed siding is supposed to have a twelve year finish guarantee. Even when you are right up on it you struggle to determine if it is wood or not. The Amish fellas were stunned. I will try to get a close-up photo.

Anyway, the Dryvit and other EIFS have been notorious for causing wood rot on frame structures. There are several causes, most of which are improper installation of flashing or improper maintenance that allows water to get behind the finish. Over masonry, it is still susceptible to woodpecker damage. For some reason, some woodpeckers will start to peck at the finish and just go to town.

It is funny how you 'flatlanders' say how much you like the woods, big lumber and the mountains and us 'mountain folk' wish we had some flat open areas with clay to put a pond.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Victor,

Your home is amazing!!

I'm loving the exterior siding and trying to understand what it is and how you did it.

At first, I just thought it was freshly stained real wood. But you said it wasn't. You mentioned cement siding, so now I'm thinking it's Hardi boards that are used in lap siding. Am I close?

If so, how did you get that color?

Again, congratulations on a beautiful home!!

Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
V
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
V
Hey guys. Thanks for all of the good words. We are very proud of the place. (Hope to be proud of our pond some day soon, too.)

We are very happy so far with the cement siding. It arrived chalky white and we used the same stain that the factory uses. We stained every board with an airless sprayer, two coats. Here are some close-ups of the material. It is then applied just like lap siding. You can buy it in different sizes depending on how much reveal you want. Check out Certainteed.com and go to the Homeowner section, then cement siding.

Hopefully you can see the texture. For giggles I wanted to post our house Circa 1994 when we bought it.

V
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
V
Here are some inside pics, Brettski:

Downstairs looking up from living room:

Looking into dining room:

Kitchen and breakfast area:

Upstairs looking down on living room:

And upstairs looking back toward the rear of the house:

We added the living area on the second floor where the TV is during the remodeling before we moved in. It was a good use of the open space that existed and still left us with an open ceiling. It is a great place to hang out. We stoned the chiney inside and added a ventless fireplace with propane logs.

Hard-wired smoke and heat detectors are a must. If I was building new it would have a residential sprinkler system.

The big vent at the top of the ceiling is great for re-circulating hot air back through the air conditioning vents.

I hope they can help you with some ideas for the Nature Preserve Lodge.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Victor, I am impressed all to be damned. What a major exterior transition from Circa 1994. I trust that the interior went thru similar changes. You should be very proud.
Now, a few more questions:
-
I am very interested in the siding. I am pretty familiar with the cementitious products. Is it your expectations that this should be pretty much maint-free for the presumed life of 10-12 years on the stain? What then? Power wash and re-stain?
-
How did you handle building corners? The same product in 1-by stock, then butt the ends of the siding against it and caulk?
-
How did you handle the windows? They appear to be the method I describe in above question.
-
What type of caulk?
-
The exterior stone work....real or faux?
-
Now, the interior. Is the re-brick of the stone fireplace done with real or faux? It looks great.
-
Ceiling looks like t&g pine, stained and poly'd...correct?
-
The name of the handsome four-legged beast? She (?) is PB famous!
-
I gotta know...how much of this is YOUR sweat equity? It's amazing.

V
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
V
My dogs are PB Famous? I better get them agents and maybe they can make back some of the money they have cost me over the years...Ugh. There are 4 - Eskimo, Nala (red one), Shadow, and Mara. Thanks for asking. They are all anxiously awaiting a pond and tired of all of the planning.

We were told that the siding is maintenance-free for at least 12 years when stained by the factory. We used the same stain and put on two coats, so it should be the same. We were also told that it would not need to be pressure washed, just re-stained. We'll find out. The most attractive feature was that the flying squirrels and carpenter bees cannot chew through it. Hopefully the finish outlasts 12 years. The product itself could go fifty or more, although not necessarily guaranteed. Again, time will tell.

The facia and soffitt are the same material as the siding boards, just trimmed to fit. The vented soffitt is actually a Hardy product since the Certainteed vented soffitt was not available on the East Coast last year. We looked at both James Hardy and Certainteed and preferred the Certainteed finish.

The corners and window trim are a composite product that seems to be more fibrous than concrete. You are correct. They were trimmed out with these boards and then caulked. All nails are stainless steel. The caulking is a standard color purchased from a specialty building supply lumber yard. In fact it is a standard color. We looked at another home done with the same material and that person used a custom blended caulk. Ours actually matched OK. I am anxious to see how it lasts.

Here is a picture of the back where we used the same product but in cedar shakes. It is just another finish option.

The interior stone work is real. It was only patially finished when we bought the home, so we removed the existing stone and hired a stone mason to build it from the ground up. They were thrilled to have inside work and gave us a good break on the price. They used stone off the property which was great. We picked it and stacked it and they used it.

The exterior stone is faux. We couldn't be more disappointed in that project. That is an entire story, but suffice to say you should look at more than just one job that a prospective contractor has done. I learned a lot from this process.

The ceiling was stained, we put on the polyurethane. It is just t&g pine.

We (me, wife, family and friends) did everything except the interior stone and re-finishing of the wood floors. It was almost two years before we could move in, MUCH sweat, some blood, a couple of tears (not me of course).

As for the most recent outside work...we decided to use the pen and the bank for much of it. It was tough at first, but in retrospect it would have taken me too much time, been too stressful on us, etc. We were blessed to have two workers who were consistent, trustworthy, qualified, and concientious. They played with the dogs during days where we were gone. They were just great. I have learned that the cheapest is not always the best.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Hi Victor,

You said, "It arrived chalky white and we used the same stain that the factory uses. We stained every board with an airless sprayer, two coats."

What was the stain that you used, and where did you get it?

I can't find it on the Certanteed website and you don't mention it in your posts? I'm very interested in trying to do this myself and would like to get the same stain you used.

Your home is very impressive and the way you did the exterior is the best I've ever seen. My wife and I like it ALLOT!!!!

Thanks,
Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
V
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
V
The stain is Mason's Select Wood Perfect Series Semi-Transparent Coating, 6703 Redwood. Our first shipment was from a local lumber yard. They needed eight weeks to get it. Then we ran out, so I had to get it quick. I went on line to an internet paint store and bought another 5-gallons. Then I needed one more gallon and found that Sherwin Willilams could get it, but only four cans at a time.

It is expensive. I think we used six or seven, five-gallon buckets. We chose to stain it ourselves because our builder said it was almost twice as expensive with a factory finish. I didn't ask for proof but wanted to after we started the project. It takes a while to get into a rhythm. We would spray four at a time, then lay them out on the barn floor, then repeat until the entire first and second floors of the barn were covered. Then we would give it a day to dry and put the second coat on.

I would check the price of pre-finished first, calculate how much stain you will need to buy, and then decide. If you do calculate it, don't tell me I wasted my time, OK? It really sucked and my wife will kill me.

We have three one-gallon cans left if you are interested. The one-gallon cans were $30 each, but I can make some sort of PB deal.

The caulking is OSI ProSeries VOC window, siding, and roof sealant. Color: Rustic Red

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Victor,

Thank you for the information. It's a little overwhelming. Especially the $30 a gallon part. YIKES!!!!!

Did you try to experiment with any wood or concrete stains?

I have quite a colection of wood stains and oils that I'm gonna play with this weekend. It's just for fun right now, but I'm also very curious.

Thank you,
Eddie

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Brettski,
This pic was taken today. The house is about 2 months from being finished. Obviously, this is a full-time residence. Hopefully, it will make me feel like I'm on vacation, but right now, it's killin' me.

Hey Moe, I'm trying to think but nuthin's happening!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
That looks like quite a substantial abode.

Whoever lives there must be excited to the core about the pond filling up.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...another stunning pond scene. That is absolutely palacial, Jersey! Wow, what a crib...thanks for sharing. The hill you're on is perfect for the setting. How did you come upon this entire project?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Dang Jersey, that is absolutely beautiful!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Very nice Jersey, very nice indeed!

In reference to your last photo, where, in relation to the "dock", will full pool level of the pond be?

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Whoever lives there must be excited to the core about the pond filling up.
Sunil, you're a regular riot. \:D

We were actually looking for 5 acres somewhere outside of town. My wife came across this 67 acres for $10k/ac, so 3 of us went in thirds, agreeing on the lake up front. I knew it was going to be a great pond site, but I figured it to have more fall across the property than it did. So we had to dig more dirt out.

My budget on the house is $360k. I'll go over by a bit.

Hey Moe, I'm trying to think but nuthin's happening!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Well Jersey, I didn't want to "out" you before you were ready.

Your place is beautiful. I would say that the house itself does look like more that what you budgeted....maybe even doubled.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I have often wondered why I couldn't afford a place like that...then I remembered; wine, women and song. The rest I just squandered.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Originally posted by burgermeister:
I have often wondered why I couldn't afford a place like that...then I remembered; wine, women and song. The rest I just squandered.
Now that's funny right there. \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
** THIS IS A LIMITED TIME OFFER **
I'll kill this post after it expires.
Buy.com has a deal that is pretty tuff to beat. I have never used any of the architectural design software, so I have no idea what to really expect. I'll bet Rockytopper can ching in some advice. Anyway, I'm willing to give it a try for $0.
Floor Plan 3D planning software

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Victor,

I had a scrap piece of Hardi Board that I wanted to experiment on. I took six differnt cans of Minwax wood stain that I have on my shelf and put it on the Hardi Board. I put on one coat and then a stip of green paint. The green matches my metal roof and should give me an idea of how it will look with trim paint and a metal roof.

It's only one coat, so I expect some fading. The next time I have to stain something, I'll put a second coat on half of it to compare the difference.

It's been sitting outside on the roof of a parts car that I'm playing around with. It's been exposed to the elements for a month now with no noticible change. I've got a year or two until I build my cabin, so there is plenty of time to see how this works out.

Thanks for the idea, I love the way your home turned out and I'm exited about the possiblities of using Hardi Boards that will look like real wood.

Eddie

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
V
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
V
Eddie, I like your testing idea. My neighbor is trying this, too, but in addition to the light exposure he is walking on it every day in and out of their home! It is still holding up. I hate to get too excited about it, but would LOVE to find out that this color and product will last a long, long time.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
We took a little different approach in choosing a home to build. We searched for plans from the inside out, looking at floorplans before looking at the outside since you spend most of your time looking out rather than looking in. We loosely based our house off of these plans.
http://www.dreamhomesource.com/Plan.asp?...=10&RecordN= 18 The floorplan had several things we desired: 2 story home, 1st floor master sweet, floorplan allowing easy circulation, 2 story family room w/loft, lots of windows, and energy efficient. My wife wanted formal living and dining rooms and I wanted a beakfast nook just off the kitchen. It was also important that the downstairs half bath was located so you couldn't hear someone doing their business while in the dining or family room. I also wanted covered porches because of many fond memories of sitting in the swing with my grandparents on their old porch. We live in a farming community so the farmhouse exterior seemed logical. I wanted low maintenance so everything is concrete, vinyl and aluminum. My wife took a risk with the red siding but it seemed to fit in nicely.

We're pretty happy with how it turned out and our utilities only run about $120/month on average even with 6 exterior doors and 32 windows. The cost to build the house and pond including some minimal landscaping came in under our budget of $300K. My only regret is not building a bigger pond!

BTW We love our hardwood and tile floors, about 1500sqft worth. They are tough and super easy to clean. Our oak floors have an aluminum oxide finish, this stuff is as tough as nails and a must if you have dogs.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??