Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,955
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lumberman1985, catscratch, Lake8, Bill Cody, ewest, Drago, Shorthose, TSan06), 1,474 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#89667 06/17/07 07:17 AM
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
I've been thinking about a way to avoid having hook shy fish in stocked ponds. I don't have any business doing this because I've never stocked fish or managed a pond, but ignorance never stopped me before.

To start with I'm assuming that fish get hook shy because they've been caught before and it sucked for them, so they become more cautious about food on a string. There may be other reasons, but that's what I'm focusing on at the moment.

I'm thinking in terms of stocking a new pond. If it works in new ponds, maybe it would work in an established pond too.

1. When it's time to stock the top predator fish add a relatively small number of tagged fish. This number should take into consideration losses from predation, etc.

2. Practice catch and release strictly with the tagged fish. The goal is for these fish to die of old age.

3. Never release the offspring of the original fish, regardless of size. If you get hooked once, you're out of the game.

That's basically it. You get a handful of wise, old, hook shy breeding stock, and their offspring never get a chance to learn angler avoidance.

Has anyone tried this?

#89668 06/17/07 09:07 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Sounds great. Your well thought out method should work. The only question I have is, do the tags have numbers? You could have 2-3 tagged fish that are idiots, and keep getting caught over and over. That could be misleading.

#89669 06/17/07 09:31 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I can catch bluegills for awhile and then nothing bites. However, if I toss in some feed, they go after it. I don't think only catch and release is a problem. Those sucker learn that there is a string attached to my offerings and just quit biting.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
#89670 06/17/07 09:43 AM
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
bobad, I wouldn't mind if the original fish were caught repeatedly as long as they were always released. Their role is to provide a consistent source of new fish only. They represent a guarantee that you won't wipe out the fish population because of excessive harvesting.

#89671 06/17/07 10:41 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
This "hook shy" topic is interesting. Another thread talked about frequency of fishing in a smaller pond. I have no clue about this because currently my pond doesn't get that much fishing pressure and so the fishing is almost always fairly good.

What I wonder about is varying tackle a lot. Because of a short attention span I am constantly varying tackle. Sure if a lure is really hot one day I'll fish the lure but once it starts to slow down I'll change up. Throw something completely different. I wonder if constantly varying tackle (lures and line) could lessen the "hook shy" problem. Don't know just speculating.

Another thing that I do is talk to the fish when I'm fishing. "Hey Mister Bass, look at me innocent little fry swimming in the shallows, oh, and I'm wounded, can't swim very fast, probably be an easy meal for a studly bass like yourself." If that strategy doesn't work I go for the taunt... "Hey Bass, what are you a Girlyman, think you can take this swimming lizard out, you want a piece of me, I'll bet you can't even swallow a lizard as big as me, go back to your momma and tell her you're hungry, and they call YOU a predator?"

Kinda drives my wife crazy but it works. I didn't do this when DIED was teaching me to fly fish. I figured he was questioning my mental stability enough as it was and why push my luck.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
#89672 06/17/07 10:42 AM
Lunker
Lunker
I think in some species & instances, learning hook shyness can be indirect. I.E. "My brother tried to eat one of those things, and bad stiff happened to him."

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
#89673 06/17/07 11:29 AM
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Theo, do you mean that unconditioned fish (not shy) observe hook shy fish and then mimic that behavior? That's consistent with my idea of how nature operates. If that's the case the hook shy fish that "taught" the other fish most likely were caught and released at some point. That wouldn't happen often with this management strategy because of the small initial stocking of breeders. I'm picturing stocking maybe 1/10 of the recommended number of your target species. I know this would lengthen the amount of time it takes to bring up the population, but it might be worth it.

Does that address your thoughts at all?

#89674 06/17/07 11:31 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Great idea, that would work in some situations.

In my small ponds here's how I deal with it.

When I fish, I always, always use the same bait. It makes it challenging for me, and I think it keeps me from wearing out the biggest best fish by catching them repeatedly.

When a guest fishes, they get to use a different bait, and their catch rates are always high, because guests only fish my ponds about twenty hours a year. This way, they get maximum enjoyment, and they think they are much better fishermen than I am, and they have a good shot at the occasional super trophy like an 11 inch bluegill.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
#89675 06/17/07 11:53 AM
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
You're a kind man "Big Gills" Condello.

Here's little more detail about my theory: Instead of buying hundreds/thousands of fingelings (your choice of target species), spend that same amount on on a handful of large adults. Better yet you could collect them yourself since you aren't looking for hundreds or thousands of fish.

#89676 06/17/07 12:01 PM
D
DJT Offline
Lunker
Lunker
D
I think another way to avoid this is using live bait that is also given out as freebies. I fish off the dock with worms and crickets but also throw even more to these out with no strings attached. Maybe one out of ten crickets may have a hook in it so the fish are conditioned to think people=food. You spend a lot of time catching bait to offer as a free meal but having the fish swarm to you is worth it. I enjoy feeding as much as fishing.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
#89677 06/17/07 12:01 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Condello:
.............When I fish, I always, always use the same bait. .....................When a guest fishes, they get to use a different bait, and their catch rates are always high, ............This way, they get maximum enjoyment, and they think they are much better fishermen than I am, ............
the magnanimous dr. condello.....seriously, that's really funny, and a nice way to be bruce....the ultimate in hospitality..LOL \:D

DD1, if you havent tried this already....when yer BG get hookshy, take a small (1/16 oz) BG jig (i like chartreuse w/ gold hook - crimped barb), put a chunk of worm on hook, douse w/ a little anise or fish oil, they will come back for seconds, thirds, fourths....etc. i always reward w/ a handful of feed just before leaving the spot.

jeff...didnt mean to cramp yer style \:D .....please dont hold back when i'm around, i promise i wont tell anyone.

GSF are people too!

#89678 06/17/07 12:03 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
DJT....its called chumming... \:D

GSF are people too!

#89679 06/17/07 12:04 PM
G
G
GW, with feed trained fish, turn off the feeders for a few days.
I have found that competition and hunger overcomes "hook-shyness"...

Bruce, I have used used the same trick and let my special occasion "guest" out fish me...
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it... \:D

#89680 06/17/07 12:07 PM
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
 Quote:
Originally posted by DJT:
You spend a lot of time catching bait to offer as a free meal....
I doubt that I will. \:D

#89681 06/17/07 12:47 PM
Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by GW:
Theo, do you mean that unconditioned fish (not shy) observe hook shy fish and then mimic that behavior? That's consistent with my idea of how nature operates. If that's the case the hook shy fish that "taught" the other fish most likely were caught and released at some point.
That's pretty much what I was getting at - they see other fish getting caught, maybe on bait THEY came in 2nd place on, and develop a negative association with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by george:
GW, with feed trained fish, turn off the feeders for a few days.
I have found that competition and hunger overcomes "hook-shyness"...
I tell myself that's "compensatory feeding", george. ;\)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
#89682 06/17/07 12:52 PM
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Theo, I think we're barking up different trees. I think you're saying that one "virgin" fish sees another "virgin" fish take bait and get caught causing shyness in the witnessing fish.

I'm saying that the first fish has been caught 2 or 3 times in it's life and has gradually become shy. Then the spectator fish sees the hook shy fish avoiding the bait and copies that cautious behavior.

#89683 06/17/07 01:50 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Guys some fish species give off a stress chemical when stressed like being hooked and dragged through the water.Other fish pick up on the warning. This result is much worse if you catch and release as the response continues for a longer period. That is why some fisherman put the fish in the live well until they are finished with an area. Then they release them all. BG can exhibit the same catchabitlty traits as LMB.

#89684 06/17/07 02:59 PM
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Thanks ewest, do you have an opinion about how that effects my management theory?

#89685 06/17/07 05:35 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Thanks D.I.E.D.; I'll give it a try.

Actually, if I catch 10 to 12 BG on nightcrawlers, crickets, black gnats, pellet flies or whatever, everything stops. If I catch a catfish on anything, they won't come to feed for days.

These aren't previously caught fish. It's just that they learn quickly about easy meals with strings attached.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
#89686 06/17/07 06:51 PM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Originally posted by Theo Gallus:
I think in some species & instances, learning hook shyness can be indirect. I.E. "My brother tried to eat one of those things, and bad stiff happened to him."
Fortunately my fish are kinda stupid.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
#89687 06/17/07 09:38 PM
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
DD1, I don't doubt for a second what you're saying, but I don't understand it either.

#89688 06/18/07 07:41 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
GW, it's kinda like fish in a public lake. When a new lake is opened to the public, you can catch fish anywhere. After awhile, they become conditioned to fishing and become very wary.

#89689 06/18/07 08:47 AM
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
It's easy for me to understand a fish getting shy after being caught once or twice, or maybe several times on different tackle. What I'm not getting is how a virgin fish can learn shyness without being hooked itself.

The other scenario I mentioned before is where a virgin fish sees the hook shy fish from the paragraph above and adopts the same wariness. For that type situation you need a fish that has become hook shy through direct experience.

I imagine this can't go beyond educated guessing.

#89690 06/18/07 09:11 AM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
 Quote:
Originally posted by GW:
Has anyone tried this?
That's basically what I do in my small pond that is stocked with the GG's. The nice thing about the GG's is they are the least likely fish to get conditioned that I have seen in ponds....maybe aggressivenes is the positive way of saying it. For the LMB predator in that TGG pond, the original LMB stockers were fin clipped and will always be returned when caught and all other LMB will always removed. All Fx offspring are removed and none of the original GG's are removed.

In my larger ponds, fishing pressure is the key to fish conditioning. Since I choose to fish most every day, I have to be very careful about managing fishing pressure. My approach is to rotate among ponds and locations within the ponds. Unless fishing with guests, my fishing is always done in low light conditions and for short periods of time....e.g. the last couple of hours of daylight or first hour of sunrise.

Multiple ponds allow you to minimize the effects of fishing pressure and conditioning. It works for me and the proof is that I'm enjoying fantastic fishing this spring like I have never before seen or experienced in ponds.

Some of you guys who go back a ways on the Forum will remember a discussion thread I started on multiple small ponds vs one larger pond. It was my belief back then that multiple small ponds would facilitate minimizing fish conditioning...this has indeed been the case for me. Three ponds of 3 acres can be far superior to one pond of 9 or 10 acres, from a fish conditioning standpoint. In addition, I see no sacrifice of top end size in fish from multiple smaller ponds vs single large ones.

A fish does not have to be caught to be conditioned. Everything I see in fishing points to this. A bonefish on a shallow saltwater flat that observes his budddies being caught on a funny looking fly becomes just as conditioned as a LMB that observes the same event in a pond.

However, the mechanism for conditioning fish that only "observe" other fish being caught is not at all certain, to me. Whether it is indeed observed behavior or some other form of communication, its clear to me that a fish can be conditioned without being caught. Fortunately, there are management approaches which can minimize those effects.

#89691 06/18/07 10:30 AM
G
GW Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Thanks ML.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster