Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Huntmastr1, Neal Horner, Champ59, fletchccc, etx-pond-c
18,538 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,022
Posts558,600
Members18,539
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,607
ewest 21,516
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,163
Who's Online Now
14 members (apost, Sunil, Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, etx-pond-c, Knobber, JoshMI, catscratch, Bobbss, Todynot, Bigtrh24, Cliff76169, Bill Cody, fletchccc), 933 guests, and 163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#87908 05/17/07 02:27 PM
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Ml warned that all pipes in a damn leak or will leak. Guess he was right. After spending a small fortune on a large drop stucture and waiting a year to watch the new pond finally feel the pipe is leaking. The gasket between the vertical pipe and the barrel has sprong a leak. A constaint garden hose of water is flowing out the pipe. I contacted the contractor but you know how that goes he ain't going to do anything about it. I sent my son in to the dark depths last week end with roofing tar and tire plugs. Mistake because it did not work and I'm sure there is a mess down there now that has to be removed before my next shade tree attempt to repair it. This weekend I'm going to remove the trash rack so I can fit and go in myself. My plan is to use a JB weld product called waterworks cures under water in 5 minutes it says. I'm going to form a strip of aluminum to match the contour of the pipe,cover it with wax paper, apply the epoxy and set in place with my hydraulic jack holding pressure down to overcome the 6 ft of head pressure of the water spraying up. If this is sucessfull, once the water is stopped I'm going to cover this entire joint with the epoxy all around.

I'm also going to raise the drop structure 1 ft to hold that much more water in the pond. I'll loose I foot of flood storage but still be 1 ft below emergency spillway. Plan to use a 14 inch wide 1/8 strip of aluminum sheet and wrap it around the inside of the vertical drop structure and screw and seal it with epoxy. Trash rack will have to be modified to accept this additional height. Rasing of spillway is not scheduled in this weekends activities but if the leak is plugged successfullly next weekend the raising of the spillway will commence. Wish me luck if it don't work I'll have to drain the pond down and send in a welder. if you guys got any better ideas please share them.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Lunker
Lunker
RT - ours has had a small trickle coming out it since 1964 if that helps you feel any better.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
rt,

I know this may not be a popular idea, but have you considered draining it?

The rain is looking pretty good this year. Maybe you do it soon you could catch a break and it would refill before the summer hits.

Gator

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Gator if I have too I'm going too. The welding bill if I have to go that route as quoted is not much.

How long you figure it'll take to drain 4.5 ac x 7 ft = 10206000 gallons of water with a 4 inch buldge pump.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Lunker
Lunker
rt - are you talking about welding galvanized steel in a confined area? I was under the impression that welding galvanized steel gave off toxic vapors?

Lunker
Lunker
If it does, I may be dead. But then I weld cattle feedrings (out in the open) - the burning manure may protect me from the toxic fumes.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Theo, my friend, I'm not sure you've escaped the fumes as you may choose to indicate. I refer you to your profile picture. Again, I say you're not just smiling 'cause you caught a few catfish.

I liken this to other friends here on the forum who have fume or "gas" addictions. It doesn't make you any less of the man that you are each and every day.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Shorty no worries it's all aluminum, no galv steel. It's got to be dry to weld it. I'm going in with JB cold weld on Sunday, pray I don't get stuck, FMBP don't have not-in on me.
I'm going to build a gate soon and welding galv myself for the first time. I've been told the same, don't breath the stuff. When I catch up on farming chores and leaky ponds that is.

G
G
1942 – seventeen years old.
Brown Shipyard – Port Arthur Texas
Welding galvanized steel in holds of sea going tugboats.
Got sicker than a dog – no OSHA back then.

Spot on lung showed up every physical I took for years.
Didn’t keep me out of the service tho – all you had to do to pass Army physical was to see lightening and hear thunder.

Only lasting effect was becoming a fishaholic and PB forum junkie...

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
George, my Military "physical" was simple in Vietnam days. One Doc looked down my throat and the other one up looked up my rear. They didn't see each other so I was good to go.

Rocky; pick a windy day and let the fumes blow away from you. Don't breathe that stuff.

I notice that you have an anti seep collar. I would suspect that it wasn't packed well enough.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
It diffently was not packed well around the drop structure were the leak is at.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Success! the leak is stopped. I'm a pond junky I couldn't wait until Sunday. When my pond hurts so do I. I put aside my farming chores today and went in. Things didn't go as planned but it worked.

I once help overhaul a cummmins engine that had a cracked cylinder. We patched it with JB weld and honed it smooth. Engine was still running a year latter when it was sold. Amazing stuff.

I also discovered that I now have 4 ponds instead of 3. The first time this monster spill pipe overflowed it cut a huge hole behind the dam. When the flood lake down below me backed water up the fish came up stream and are now living in this clear blue hole. Sense the pipe has been leaking they have had a fresh supply of water. I counted about 15 10 in CC. 2 10 inch LMB, many perch, and even minnows. I'm going to get my dip net and see if I can't get them over the dam and into the pond.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
RT,

Did I read that right....JB weld fixed your leak? Man, I love that stuff, would never be without it on rural property. It makes duct tape look like a toy by comparison. JB weld...don't leave home without it.

Way to go RT, way to go!!!!!

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
The product was call JB weld "water works" marine grade epoxy. The leak was like trying to get a garden hose flowing full blast stopped. I neaded it into a ball and took a screw driver and started stabbing it "like OJ would" into the crack, water blasting away. Once I got the main hole slowed, it was all mine after that.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Outstanding, simply outstanding!!! My hats off to you!

Where can you buy the JB weld marine grade epoxy? Sounds like a good compliment to regular JB weld, which is absolutely indespensible to me.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
ML,

I get it at Wal Mart, right next to the regular JB. I know you would "get" the tech. stuff so I'll list it...

Compression Strength.......12,000psi
Tensile Strength.......... 6,000psi
Shear Strength............ 700psi
Hardness.................. 65-75
Max use Temp.............. 300 F

And safe for lines carrying potable water.

Dan

Mistakes are proof that you are trying.

Dan
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Thanks, Dan. Funny I've never seen it before but will look for it now.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Buzz Tatom, North40
Recent Posts
Pond Builder - Central NY State
by Todynot - 05/21/24 08:52 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Bill Cody - 05/21/24 08:44 PM
curly leaf infestation
by Knobber - 05/21/24 02:21 PM
I think I killed all my fish
by WiYeti - 05/21/24 01:57 PM
Help,BG Dying, 1 a day
by Champ59 - 05/21/24 11:30 AM
Spillway recovery from record rains
by etx-pond-c - 05/21/24 09:30 AM
Fish Finder?
by catscratch - 05/21/24 07:28 AM
Optimal vs Purina. Optimal for the Win
by Willy Wonka - 05/21/24 03:35 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Boondoggle - 05/20/24 10:01 PM
Trapping the Crays
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 05:16 PM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Sunil - 05/20/24 08:09 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification
by Mike Troyer, October 6
Sharing the Food