Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,119
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (Fishingadventure, RogersTailgate, jpsdad, anthropic), 831 guests, and 192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I have started this topic cause Brettski's getting too much attention lately and I'm getting jealous.
Actually he did me the honor of creating structure in my name, so I'm returning the favor. There are plenty of piles & structure for all you PB folks to get one. Brettski gets first pick. The rest may follow.
I've had to much time on my hands with no rain thus far and the kubota has started it's wicked calling. 19 hrs in the seat this past weekend.

Is there such a thing as too much structure? If so I'll have to tell the kubota it's over give it up were done.

Brettski has been so kind as to even post the pic's for me this evening. Once they are up loaded I will give more details on the depths at each feature. Please provide inputs as you deem fit. Looks like from the rain patterns we've been getting I have plenty of time to change things if need be. Or just keep digging trying to find china.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
ROCKYTOPPER PRODUCTIONS presents: "Fish Structure, Kubota Style"
(Cinematography and script: Rockytopper. Distribution: Brettski)
-
-
Close up of concrete block fish palace. (King Brettski ?)

-
-
View of silt catch pond area, note two water inlet channels diverge at this point.

-
-
I cut some flat shelves about 3 ft depth with the Kubota around the earthen pier directly across from the dock location. Within casting range I might add.

-
-
These piles need proper naming, I added a lot of humps bumps & ridges with the Kubota

-
-
Artificial structures installed day after contractor was cut loose. Good shot of the house pad directly above pier post

-
-
View of tale end of pond, silt dam left, the tree in the middle will be in about 4 foot of water.

-
-
Pier post cut level with joist angle supports welded on, I dug out the swimming hole around the pier about 18 inches deeper with the Kubota.

-
-
I thought I might include this also, it’s a model I created for the contractor of how I wanted to build the structure, of course he didn’t do it like this and in fact did no structure. Thus I’ve been doing it my self.
This last picture is a 3D model of the pond during the construction phase. The model was used to determine yardage in the Dam. I had originally planned to create deep channels chris crossing each other running from the earthen piers to the deep area in front of the dam. My contractor, well us say he wasn't into that. He seemed to have some phobia about leaving dirt in the hole. He just kept digging the hole bigger. I was to far into the project to fire them so I lost. It turned out ok because I had the kubota and I had a lot of fun doing my own thing anyway

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rocky-T...
I, like those before me, am deeply honored that I too shall be immortalized in fish structure at the bottom of your pond. I humbly accept your offer to claim the "concrete block fish palace" as my indelible mark on the future of Texas fishing. After I have paid off the note on my project, your concrete block masterpiece will, indeed, appear palacial. May we call it Brettski's Palace?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
RT, according to Lusk you can easily have too much structure. He tells the story of Ray Murski who built a lake. Mr. Murski wanted to catch a fish on every cast and wound up having to work his tail off to find his fish.

Ya'll be cahful, yuh heah?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Brettski for your kindness, I have decided to name two features in your honor. The concrete block fish palace is now officially Brettski's Palace as you wish. I have tied floating buoys to most of the artificial structures, I plan to inscribe the official names on each and everyone of them. In the 3rd and 4th pic from the top you can see the shelf or road that raps around the earthen pier. This is now officially Brettski's road to Liberty for his long journey that weather he realizes it or not has just begun. Brett when your pond fills up you will continue to have never ending projects believe me.

I have decided to name the humps and bumps and ridges in honor of Meadowlark sense he seems to have a never ending drive to dig. I have some how caught his addiction.

The two green dog kennel halfs (cat houses) are going to be named in honor of Captain Compulsive, who apparently has cloned my pond somewhere else in Texas. I stole this idea when I spotted his cat houses on his website. Captain if your still around glad to see you have been catching some water, your project looks great.

The dock is going to be named in honor of Eddie Walker, I had a major equipment failure in the middle of this project(post auger found china and exploded). This in no way compares to having your dozer engine blow up but his motto of "It's not how many ideas you have it's how many you make happen” continues to inspire me daily.

The tractor tire is going to be named in honor of Gator who was kind enough to post the first pic's of this project in the original tread.

http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=002671

The silt pond is going to be named Hickenbottom hole in honor of Bruce Condello for his input. Even thou I didn't install one the reading was very interesting. There is more to come on this topic, I'm not done yet.

I'm searching for something in honor of THEO but thus far I have come up empty. I'm thinking of naming the briar patch along the fence line in his honor sense he seems to be a thorn in everyone’s tread. This is not official yet I may need some further input on this one.

There are 2 buoys left up for grab. Any takers or suggestions from others please.

I will follow with technical questions latter.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Could I get a dirtclod named after me? Low self esteem ya know \:\)

I am NO LONGER the "Someday" man.

1 pond, half acre or so
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I am going to copy some of RT's pics and include them in the PB slide show that the moderators are working on for the convention. When you get there and have time , stop by the booth and see the slide show as part of Rockytopper's rendezvous and Brettski's Bienvenudos on pond structure naming. You can all look for pics you recognize . \:\) \:D :p

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
BlackJack a dirtclod will melt away and be vanished for ever. Even thou you have such a low self esteem and no pond yet you deserve better. I am naming the concrete culvert pipe in your honor. It's now officially named the Blackjack Cat House.

Ewest thanks I'll be looking foward to seeing the display at the convention.

OK techincal quiz time. PLease provide feed back on if these structures are at good depths or need to be adjusted.

The stocking plan for now is LMB, BG, & BLUECATS

1.The liberty road shelve is 2 to 3 foot deep.

2.The bottom of the Gator tractor tire is 10 ft deep.

3. Brettski's palace and the 2 remaining (unnamed tire structures) are about 8 ft deep.

4. The Blackjack cathouse & Captain Compulsive cat kennels are about 5 to 6 ft.

5. The Meadowlark humps and bumps are about 2 to 3 ft deep at their tops, approximately 5 ft deep at their bottoms.

6. There is also the tree about half of it will be covered in 4 foot deep water. no need to comment on this one cause I ain't moving it. Just needs a proper name.

7. The silt catch pond formally known has the Hickenbottom hole in honor of Bruce Condello is not complete. I ran out of DOE. It is to shallow and will most likely fill the first heavy runoff. I plan to rent or hire a Track hole to come and dig it as deep as the machine will go, maybe 20 ft or so. The Hickenbottom hole currently has an 18 inch ADS pipe thru the dam. This pipe will not handle large runoff events. The emergency spillway is cut flat about 75 ft wide and 100 yards long before it reaches the main pond. I'm curious if I should put some kinda of silt sock around the pipe intake or will this restrict the flow to much. I believe that the pipe will handle moderate runoffs and reduce eroison of the spillway. The pipe is necessary because this stream in normal years will flow for months and I don't want the spillway to stay wet. Any thoughts on this one would be appreciated.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
RT a lot of the answers to your questions depend on the depth of your pond's thermocline in summer. Most structures should be above the thermocline as fish can't go/stay there in summer. Eight feet is a good general guess for pond stratification in southern ponds , but each one is different. However some cover should be from bottom (10-12 ft or deeper) to top(or close) for fall , winter and spring fish structure. Most all spawning in southern ponds is in less than 6 ft of water.

With that in mind :

Area 1 and the points/slopes NE (upper left)of the pic ( lighter brown dirt area) from Brettski's should be good for BG and LMB spawning. Pack that area down hard and if you have sand or gravel that would be a good place to put some.

Areas 4 ,5 and 6 are good. Area 5 is going to be a good place to fish. The ridge just right of ML's should be a good spawning place as should the top of the mounds. Make them packed also and add sand and or gravel if available.

A little brush or tree limbs in those tires would help. You may need to put more weight on that pallet they are hard to keep down until water logged. Some brush or xmas trees (thick cover) near spawning areas are good for yoy fish to hide in.

Here is a link to how we do xmas tree pile that go from bottom to top in deep water.

http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000186#000002

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
** Just added another pic to the "RockyTopper Productions" post above; the last pic **

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
EW thanks for your inputs looks like I just need to do a little more work to be complete, I'm gonna get the chain saw out on some cedar trees this week end.

Thanks Brett, I guess my trick worked. The last picture is a 3D model of the pond during the construction phase. The model was used to determine yardage in the Dam. I had originally planned to create deep channels chris crossing each other running from the earthen piers to the deep area in front of the dam. My contractor, well us say he wasn't into that. He seemed to have some phobia about leaving dirt in the hole. He just kept digging the hole bigger. I was to far into the project to fire them so I lost. It turned out ok because I had the kubota and I had a lot of fun doing my own thing anyway. In hind sight I will hire them again even though they just don't specialize in fishing ponds. I like the rest of the work they did.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images