Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,119
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
6 members (Shorthose, Freg, Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, RogersTailgate, jpsdad), 874 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#85333 04/04/07 09:12 PM
G
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Seeing everyone's pictures of how their ponds filled up with all of the recent Texas rains was driving me crazy. I finally just left work early today to go check on mine. After waiting nearly two years... it's full.

I'm so happy I don't know what to do next. I have been stuck at 8 foot low for over a year now. The rain gauge showed just shy of 6.25 inches. I could tell that alot of water had gone over the spillway....hopefully not many of the fish went that direction. Every pond I have is now completely full and ready for the long Texas summer.

Heres a pic of the big pond, which is now the full 1.5 acres that it should be.

The water backed up further in the creek than I thought it would.

Rain gauge proof.... probably the biggest rain that I have seen out there in the last 8 years.

Now to put in a fish feeder and get those fish growing faster.... let the fun (and projects) begin!!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hey Gary-
I see you are in Colleyville. I have family up that way. Where are your ponds located? Outside of DFW? The big pond looks great, by the way. It looks like you have plenty of water to work with. Good luck!

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
G
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Davatsa,

My place is in western Jack county, about 100 miles west of DFW. Halfway between Jacksboro and Graham, if you know that area.

I have two 1/4 acre ponds that never go dry (at least not yet), but I have been waiting on the big one. It was completed in September, 2005. It filled with about 7 feet of water during early 06, and has stayed at that level until last week's rains. I know it is silly, but I can't describe the feeling I had when I saw it full for the first time.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
welcome to full pool nirvana.

nothin silly about those feelings gary, and an excellent looking great sized pond i might add.

what did you stock it with? looks like it'l be a fantastic fishin hole.

GSF are people too!

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Very nice GT, welcome to the PFF club. I joined the club only last weekend.

Guys like you given me tree envey.

I'm famliar with your area, we use to play Bryson in football. I'm originally from Woodson which is west of Graham.

Have you seen Bigfoot swimming in your pond.
He's been spotted close by. Article

http://www.texasbigfoot.com/Jack1.html

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
G
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Rocky....

Haven't seen bigfoot running around, but that information will certainly make those midnight hog hunts a little more lively. We did see a mountain lion a few months ago, which is almost as rare as a bigfoot sighting.

Dave....

As far as stocking, I'm trying for the dreaded crappie pond. When the pond was half full, I had 100 RE, 500 BG, and 100 Black Crappie put in. I'm going to give it a year, and introduce some HSB to keep the crappie under control.

My next project is to get a feeder going.... I want to grow and catch big BG for fun (catch and release), and big crappie for the table. We'll see.... I've been reading this site for two years, and know the risks of introducing crappie. If it doesn't work, then I'll deal with starting over.

G
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Heading out this coming weekend to do some fishing and turkey / hog hunting.

My big pond has lost about 8" of depth in the past two weeks.... I'm hoping that is just the dam sucking up the water, since this is the first time its been full. Any thoughts on this?

Here's a couple of pics of my main targets this weekend.

This first picture is the biggest hog that I have ever gotten a game camera picture of... His nickname is Hogzilla Jr....

This second picture is of a good sized hog that I have nicknamed "Tripod"... I'm sure you will see why.

I have been getting pictures of Tripod for over 6 months, so the loss of his hind right leg is definitely not life threatening, but my 30-30 will be....

One more pic of Tripod, in the daytime.... He sure seems to have adapted to his situation....

GaryTexas

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I don't know if I would worry about 8" of water loss in 14 days, I lose about 1/2" a day during the hot season.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Nice pics Gary.

The only bad thing about hog hunting is that you can usually only get off 1 good shot before the other run away. I feel like im running a pork feeding operation down on my place. Good luck!

Gator

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images