Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,934
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
3 members (Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, Jward87), 716 guests, and 190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Anybody heard from FatMcB? Hope he's OK.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Yeah what is the interactive site link...Please

Hey Burgermeister one of my scouts is heading down to the NASA space camp in florida this summer. Its his 5th year down and he is one bright young man! I think there will be a day that I can say, Hey that Astornaught was a Scout of mine!!

A little snow, Please!
Lunker
Lunker
BM, weather.com has the interactive radar. Enter your zipcode and click on the map to go interactive. You can zoom in & out and change the opacity of the radar image; probably other stuff too.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Thats the site I always use but you guys made it sound really cool! Maybe I should pay a little more attention to the details of the site

A little snow, Please!
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
My rain gage has a hole in it but my neighbor says we got 9 inches the last to days.

Ewest, my Dam doesn't have enough free board, I got greeded and raised the spillway 18 inches after we built it. I am planning to cut the secondary emergency spillway on the other end of the dam down to the primary emergency spillway level to increase the flow capabilities. I have also rasised the dam about 1 ft last year but I still need more. The new big pond handled this event no issues it was built right the first time. You no what they say 3's a charm.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Thanks, Theo. I have been using NWS, and lately wunderground. TWC had seemed to be behind the curve. I guess I havent paid much attention to it lately. Pretty cool...Well, actually, it still seems to be delayed by an hour.

Quote:
Originally posted by TOM G:
Ross,wonder if I know your family?I run a lawnmower repair business in hubbard,and know most of the folks around here.
TOM G
Tom,

Your name sounded familar, so I called my Mom(Rita)...you've got her JD lawn tractor right now! Linda & Arnold Baker are my Aunt & Uncle.

Ross

It ain't much of story if you don't have pictures!
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by Frank:
You guys in Texas send some rain my way. I am below normal by 5 inches this year.

Frank
Frank my lake is in Oglethorpe county and ever since that big rain we had in march 1st my pond got within two feet from the top!!!
I need one more BIG rain and I will be there. But it does not look good for us \:\( I think we might be in for yet another dry one this year \:\( \:\( ... Rocktopper has been waiting a whole year for this rain I have been waiting three years for mine to come. I actually added 120 acres of water shed to my lake and when we had rains it has greatly helped. But we just have not been getting any rain. we are 7.5 inchs in a defiecet this year and it gets worse week by week!! \:\(

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by burgermeister:
I have been using NWS, and lately wunderground.
Hey Burg, have you tried a weather overlay on Google Earth? You can view the radar full screen, zoom in close, and see where it's raining within a few yards. You have to close Google Earth to make it update, but it's still pretty neat.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by bobad:
 Quote:
Originally posted by burgermeister:
I have been using NWS, and lately wunderground.
Hey Burg, have you tried a weather overlay on Google Earth? You can view the radar full screen, zoom in close, and see where it's raining within a few yards. You have to close Google Earth to make it update, but it's still pretty neat.
Tell me more, Bob. I downloaded G Earth, and have the satellite photo; how do I overlay a weathermap?

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
big_pond

I received 3.5 inches on Mar 1 when the heavy storms came through. I had water running out of my emergency spillway. My syphons could not handle the volume that fell in such a short time. Thank goodness for a proper emergency spillway!

I hope this year is not as bad - but in the recent 4 years I was below normal by a bunch!

Frank

Book Owner and Magazine Subscriber 3 acre pond central GA
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Final report, these pictures are taken Sunday morning after the main rain event. These are shots of the pond at pool level. The amount of water that flowed in and out is overwhelming. The debre is 4 ft above the prime outlet. The emergency spillway flowed 2 ft deep. I had some scouring damage but not to bad. The 40 acre flood lake down stream about 1/2 mile away filled to over 170 acres of water over night and backed water almost to my property line.

Pan view from house site earth pier

View looking from dam

view looking from inlet

The laser level must have been on. I set these post 1 ft above the flag mark, looks like we got it pretty close.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
RT,

Yes, on the too much water rather than not enough...but only if you have done your homework in building the pond. Clearly you did....but be very careful about raising that spillway...I've seen much more rain in a much shorter time frame. Great job!

p.s. looks like a great start on the hay growing season also.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Ml, no worries I want be raising it on this one, I've already learned my lesson. We have had more rain as much as 7 inches in one night but this event topped all we have seen. The 4 inches came in less than 1.5 hrs on ground that was totally saturated and still draining from the night before. I hope these are few and far between. There are folks that live south of town on a dead end county road, The creek on the back of my place flows across that road the bridge is gone washed away. About 20 families are stranded no way out or in.

As for my hay, I plowed all the fields up, they look pretty pitiful right now, hopefully all the roots didn't wash down stream and it will come back strong in a few weeks when the weather warms. Our poor farmers can't get a break, first no crops in 2 years because of draught, now major crop damage from to much water.

B
B
We're wet. The Platte is flowing full. I hope they are catching some up stream. We've been very dry for the past 6+ years. I'm up about about two feet from the high last year on a sand pit lake. This is totally groundwater, which means the whole valley is up (many miles wide over a fairly long period of time). We've got standing water in the borrow ditchs. Some good news if the upper basin catches some. You boys down south sound like you have almost enough.

It is amazing how some have and some don't. The west coast seems really dry right now. All time record low rain falls for CA??? Hope they like beer and wine. And North East. Pond, what pond. It's more like a glacier. Wow. Snow and more snow. Hang in there folks. Things will settle down (as proven by history, I think).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM
Concrete pond construction
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:40 PM
Sealing a pond with steep slopes without liner