Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
6 members (catscratch, Brandon Larson, Layne, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond, Angler8689), 638 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#84601 03/25/07 11:26 AM
G
george Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Maybe the best place to start – take a look at the autographs on the PB cap for a representative look at the PondBoss guys – celebrities, PhDs. MDs, DDSs, moderators, fishery folks and the rest of us good ole boys that all walk on common ground.

More about the cap later.

I picked up Bruce Condello at DFW airport shortly after noon on Thursday; a start to a great adventure was almost ended by an airport shuttle bus that decided that our lane was his - close enough to bump the side mirrors with no damage, and proceeded to deliver him to his hotel. Scared the bejabbers out of both of us so won’t have to worry about picking up Bruce again, unless he take away my keys... \:o

I don’t drive well at night – if at all, so Dave Davidson picked me up at my son’s house in Bedford to go the Wyndham hotel for dinner for speakers, vendors and moderators (don’t have clue why I was invited) and back home later in the evening.
The dinner was a blast – sat at the same table with many of my friends that I had never met – a beginning of a great experience for next two days putting faces on PB forum friends.

Most faces fit the names/handles except two forum friends in particular -
Bill Cody and Theo Gallus.

Bill Cody has been along time mentor of mine, whether he knows it or not, and I had him visualized as a modern day westerner Bill Cody/John Wayne type, deadly serious with little to say except serious scientific talk with “it all depends” personality.
Was I ever wrong. Bill is a fantastic guy with a sense of humor and infectious laugh that was the life of the party.

Now Theo, a mind as brilliant as the sun with cutting edge wit – not so in person.
Theo is very shy and demure soft-spoken, introverted gentleman of the old school that would NEVER use wit and intelligence as a weapon... \:D

A great time was had by all. \:\)

Friday is a blur – non stop, down and dirty fly tyin’, taking on all requests, mostly tying pellet flies and requesting donations for the scholarship fund. No time for attending sessions.

Since I had expended my entire month worth of energy in one day, Eric West suggested that we forego fly tying session for Saturday, and I was able to attend many of the technical session. My apologies for not being able to help folks with their fly tying, but in the future I will post pictures and instructions for tying some of the simple, but effective pond flies.
The last time I checked, at one table James Holt and crew were already tying flies on their own with no help needed….!

Oh yeah, the CAP.
A silent auction was held for scholarship donations to Dr. Dave Willis’s SDSU fishery students for applied fisheries research.

A few weeks ago Dave Davidson gave me brand spanking new PonBoss cap that I saved it to get a few autographs for the PB Conference “silent auction”.
It went for $170 bucks – can you believe that….?
So in jest I said I WANT MY CAP BACK….

Can you believe during the general session Saturday afternoon, following Todd Overton and Bruce Condello’s excellent presentations on HSB and monster BG’s, Bob Lusk called Dave Davidson and Eric West to the podium, and an apparent afterthought asked me to join them.
I was stunned and embarrassed when the y presented my with a PB cap with every old and newly acquainted friends autograph.

Thanks a million guys – this was an experience of a lifetime.

I had previously tied about three dozen flies for the auction that went for an unbelievable price of more than $200.
If any one missed out on donating to this worthy cause, I’m sure there is someone that will continue this program.

I’ve run out of words to express how important this conference was to me.
I learned a lot, but the fellowship with folks with common interest and values will bring me back time and time again.

Thanks Bob and all the others – job well done.
George Glazener

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Thank you, George, for your fly tying and constant good will! \:\) If anyone does not know them, George, Dave D, and Ewest are the consummate southern gentlemen! In fact, I can personally attest that every single person I met at the conference, whether old friends from the forum or new friends, cleary fit the category of "nice people!"

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
George, you sure were a big hit at the Convention ! I stopped by the PB both around 7:00 Saturday morning again to see you and get my fly tying lession, Eric told me what you went thru all day Friday, and that he took away the machine around 3:30 because you wouldn't stop \:D I also heard that you tied so many flies, blisters were starting to develop ! I'm looking forward to future posts and instructions. I want to say thanks for your involvement, and input during Todds Presentation too...I had many side meetings with others related to HSB.

I too would like to express how important and informative this conference was...it exceeded my expectations by a mile !

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
George,
I didn't realize that I was sitting on a goldmine of panty hose(final layer of the "pellet" fly). How many flies do you figure I could make out one of my 2X-sized panty hose? \:D

Seriously, thanks for sharing the knowledge and expertise.

20 acres of trees & 3/4 acre pond.

"Home of the future Texas state HSB record for Private ponds"
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
George,
Thanks for teaching James Holt and myself how to tie a pellet fly! Can't wait to try them out. It was a pleasure to met you and all of the Pond Boss Moderators.

Lunker
Lunker
george, take the word of a man who rode to dinner and back multiple times with shuttle bus drivers - there is no way the mirror was your fault. I am convinced you must have exhibited cat-like reflexes to avoid a Howard-the-Shuttle-Bus-Driver type multiple fatality accident.

If you don't believe me, just ask Bruce or Sunil or Greg Grimes or anyone else on those dinner runs, except maybe the guy who lost his BBQ when Howard cut across 5 busy lanes to make a left turn on red. He's still probably trying to forget it.

It was an honor to meet you, Sir.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Lunker
Lunker
george an honor to meet ya. and You make fly tying look easy. I know better!!! great work sir!!!

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
George , Somehow i missed your fly tying exibition,my loss but i enjoyed meeting and chatting with you and your son.

Take care Harvey DuPriest.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
George so many great memories, but you made the trip when you told me my little cork fly made from a wine bottle years ago was one of your insprirations. I never knew!

Theo that ride Matt said was one of the scriest ever he even said it was scarier than my driving, whew glad we made it back in one piece. I wonder how fast he would have made it back if Sunil paid him more than $40.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
L
L
George,

Thanks for spending so much time sharing you secrets with the flies. Enjoyed our conversation and instructions.

Larry T

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??