Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
J
The thread has really come alive smile

Mike, you think it took you a while? LOL. smile Took me a while too and I was worried I didn't word the explanation well. If I can think of a better approach for describing the probabilities I will do edits but would also appreciate anyone providing an explanation with better wording. Mathematically, the probability of a single sex is the probability of only males PLUS the probability of only females. I can expand on that if anyone is interested but it eventually soaks in ... like it did with Mike and myself.

Eric, I see what you are saying. An extended spawning season isn't multiple spawns.

Thanks to John and Dale for sharing the fishing techniques and Dale, with regard to the photos, if you are able to identify male from female RESxGSF, it would be a little more than great to see examples of both.

Last edited by jpsdad; 06/27/18 05:46 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

I don't know what the ratio of male to female LMB would be in a wild environment, but that could also contribute to the odds in this case as well, as thats where these all came from.

Just came back up from the pond ( I spend way too much time there, lol). Noticed a couple of small Longears setting up shop. Dang I got a mess of mutts!!

I wonder what would happen if a GSF ever crossed with a LMB. Talk about one mean sucker!!

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
J
J
Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley

I wonder what would happen if a GSF ever crossed with a LMB. Talk about one mean sucker!!

A teenage muttant Basseenie?

Mike, this cross has been performed in the lab and I've tried to find an example of what one may look like but so far haven't found an image.

Last edited by jpsdad; 06/28/18 08:35 AM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
You're right Eric; this is a good thread, starting in 2007, and indicates a change in the thinking about GSF. Remember the first PB get together at D/FW Airport a bunch of years ago when Lusk said "What's the problem with Green Sunfish?" The silence was deafening. Until then, I had been tossing them on the bank thinking they would ruin my pond. Those were the embryonic days of pond knowledge and management.

I thought I knew what I understood fish and ponds but that meeting told me that I had no idea what I was doing. After 30 years, I'm still learning that I'm mostly a student and an often wrong. But, I no longer fret about it.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Are these the dreaded GSF?

B
B
Pond Perch. Other than goldfish, this is the best live bait to use for catfish in the Mississippi River as they handle the currents much better and live longer. And before the internet police triangulate my coordinates, goldfish are legal to use as bait in the Mississippi River. At least here in Mississippi anyways.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yep, that's the dreaded GSF.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Seems if they were such huge trash fish as they have always been treated, there wouldn't be so many crossbreed experiments and creations using them. Bout time they started getting the respect they deserve.

I'm waiting to hear about someone creating a GSF ONLY pond. I think they could basically police themselves.

Go greenies go!!

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 06/28/18 09:06 AM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
These made their way from the creek to the duck ponds, and now the little artesian pond. Will add one LMB if I can catch one.

Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley
Seems if they were such huge trash fish as they have always been treated, there wouldn't be so many crossbreed experiments and creations using them. Bout time they started getting the respect they deserve.

I'm waiting to hear about someone creating a GSF ONLY pond. I think they could basically police themselves.

Go greenies go!!
d

My first 3 years on the property I live on I had a GSF only pond....it was the oldest of 3 ponds on the property (by a long shot - a 77 year old neighbor said he fished in it as a little guy) and also the smallest at 1/4 acre and probably 4' average depth. It was chock FULL of GSF.....my kids were just toddlers then but that pond got them interested in fishing....you could literally throw a bare hook out there 20 times and catch 20 GSF between 2-4". There were also some DANDIES in there in the 9+" range, but not a ton of them obviously.

I didn't notice the typical signs of stunting in there, perhaps because GSF don't SHOW the typical signs, I don't know. But I know that for a 'get kids to fish' pond, it was the best I'd ever seen. I ended up breaching the dam and adding that little neck as a cove in my big pond when I built it - but all the GSF went into the big pond. I still catch one every now and then, caught a beaut last weekend.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
S
S
I have the same type story about taking my kids when they were in the single digit age range. A "perch" (that I now know are GSF) every cast faster than my wife and I could get them off the hooks. Small maybe quarter acre pond I doubt much deeper than four or five feet.

They are tenacious little buggers. In my 1/20th acre forage pond I raise RES, GS (used to have FHM) and recently put some SMB in there. But it was contaminated somehow with a few GSF. I have raised lots of RES fingerlings (something in excess of 600) and a considerable number of RESxGSF hybrids and also more GSF than I want. But I had the GSF pretty well fished out to the point I was hardly getting any GSF in minnow traps and through devoted fishing for them had removed almost all the adults. Key word being "almost". I had not put a minnow trap in this pond for quite some time and decided to the other day. I had been getting lots of RES fingerlings via cast net but an occasional GSF fingerling also. Half hour later the minnow trap was a quarter full of GSF fingerlings. So now I have a couple traps I am running once or twice a day and the catch rate numbers are finally starting to thin down.

But I am taking the lemons and making lemonade. Decided this was the perfect chance to attract the CC and LMB around my dock for easy catching. I take the 30 or 40 2-3" GSF from the two traps each time to the dock, clip their tail and dorsal fins and sometimes one pec fin on the larger ones, and toss them in one at a time from the dock. Mostly I see nothing, but the smaller ones sometimes get attacked by the larger BG, but twice I saw a really fast flash too large for a BG nail them. So my plan is to keep doing this and maybe get some pet LMB or CC coming up to the dock as pets waiting for their GSF nugget.

Last edited by snrub; 06/28/18 10:54 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
S
S
For those interested in GSF here is another thread about them with loads of pictures.

100% GSF

And another:

GSF thread

Last edited by snrub; 06/28/18 11:01 AM.

John

B
B
I know this is an old topic but I too add GSF to my pond from a ditch that crosses the hwy near my home. They call them rice field slicks around here I have always heard that you don't want them in your pond by locals and what I read in the internet. Then I got to reading more on here and what Dave had said at the conference about why not. If a person is not worried about purebred sunfish genes and just want some fun fish to catch then put em in there. All goes back to what your goals are. My grandkids like it when we go to the concrete bridge to catch some fish.

Last edited by bigpullerman; 02/24/19 08:59 PM.

Nothing like seeing your bobber bobbing.
1 acre pond with LMB BG GSF BH CC and whatever else I can find
Not after trophies I just like catching and eating fish
Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
S
S
I really like the hybrids (HBG and RESxGSF cross) in my main pond. When fishing gets tough the hybrids and the GSF come through. They bite like GSF but grow fast and get to decent size quicker than GSF.

When I catch small GSF in my main pond I cut the tail off and put them back for LMB and CC easy meals. Anything over about 8" I throw back to get bigger.

The big thing that GSF will mess up a fishery (in my area at least) is if they get established before the pond is properly stocked and promptly eat most of the fingerlings being stocked. In that situation they can be a real problem. I had an old pond with that problem and turned it around in less than two years but I had access from my main pond to advanced size BG and LMB to stock. The BG quickly out spawned the GSF and in two years became the dominant forage fish.

Last edited by snrub; 02/24/19 07:17 PM.

John

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
In most ponds with adequate predation like an established LMB/BG pond a few GSF will not create a big problem.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images