Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
1 members (Boondoggle), 823 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
Pretty sure this is a 3000 rpm motor. I tried slower motors but they didn't have the speed to consistently knock big bugs down. It is a small fan motor, standard 3.3 diameter, totally enclosed air over type, some small fraction of a HP. Would be best if I got the Grainger part numbers for you and you could look at the specs on their web site. There's a million places you can buy motors just like it. I used a fully enclosed motor because of being more weather and debris tight. You wouldn't believe all the bug parts that fly all over. Being enclosed it requires the cooling fan ($4) to blow air over it. I also had to experiment with the size of motor so it was able to swing a reasonable length weed whip line without overheating. It has automatic thermal reset so if it overheats it will shut down and restart when cool. Only cost around $30. I'll look up all part numbers and get back with info. The motor size, fan blade, and weed whip length need to all be matched for this to work without overheating and still be as low power as possible so if I give you part numbers you can avoid experimentation. I think total cost was about $60 but it's bigger and gets more bugs than most. Very low power draw with small motor and flourescent bulbs. I've got two of these that I've run for 3 years now with no problems other than occasionally cleaning the line when it gets coated thick with bug guts. Despite its speed and power you'd be surprised how many bugs just get injured versus killed. But even the dead ones get eaten.

Gotta get back to fishin!
W
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
I finally got my controller and got the battery box mounted and everything wired up. After a couple of days i will let you know what kind of time i am getting out af a charge.here is a pic.

You can pay more but you cant buy better.
B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
For anyone who wanted part numbers from my bug whacker thing. Sorry took so long but I've been out of town. Refer to my pictures back earlier in this thread. Wicked, that's a wicked setup let us know how it works.

Motor: 1/40 Hp, 3000 rpm Grainger part #4M093
Fan blade, 6 inch dia., Grainger part #5C174
Shaft arbor, 3/8 with 24 RH thread, Grainger part #3ZN04

Total cost $38.00

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
That was my question. Do LED's attract bugs?

Hey Moe, I'm trying to think but nuthin's happening!
W
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
Well i charged my battery up and hooked the controller back up the slugger it comes on for one night and after that the panels will not charge the battery past 12.4 volts no matter what. I checked the angle of my panels and there on the right angle
the controller is working the panels are putting out the right voltage i have no idea whats wrong. I know the battery is good after i charged it the voltage read 13.3 volts. I am thinking the panels are not putting out enough amps the are 15 watts each. Who knows?

Lunker
Lunker
The power rating of the panels is of course nominal, the actual output would vary depending on vertical sun angle (as you mentioned), horizontal sun angle (time of day dependent), cloudiness, and air quality.

Perhaps you have mentioned it above, but I would measure the actual output voltage of the panels, best case (bright sunshine, high noon) and again when the sun is low. Since automotive alternators put out 14 volts or so to charge a "12 volt" battery to about 13.5 volts, I would guess your solar panels will have to put out 14+volts under at least the best conditions to fully charge the battery. Does that make any sense?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
W
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
i am getting 20 volts out of the panels

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Theo makes good sense. I feel that the system is running too long; not cutting off and over discharging the batteries. If the controller has a photo sensor to tell it when to come on...charge the batteries, hook up the system, cover up the photo cell to 'fool' the system into thinking it is night and see how long it runs and monitor voltage. I would say the low voltage disconnect is not working, or it is set at too low of a voltage.
BZ, the part #s are good info. That is prety reasonable for Graingers and will save lots of guessing, testing and leg work. Thanks.

W
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
There is no photo cell it turns on when the voltage from the panels gets low at dusk. The low voltage disconnect voltage is 11.7 and of course its not adjustable.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Well, Wicked, you may just have to live with it. You are putting about max. 20 amp-hrs. back into the battery on a good bright day. It will get less as the season progresses. You should still get 2 or 3 hrs. out of it a night. That is a pretty good feeding time. Bugs get going good from about 9 til midnight. Re-charge it weekly and get one good all nighter out of it.
It looks to me like the angle is a little low on the panels. Point it at the 11AM sun(actually 10am sun time. You will get all of the morning sun and not directly facing the hot 4-6pm sun.

Afternoons are more often cloudy, also. Notice some roadside blinking signals or speed monitors panels.

I will edit this somewhat. Note the time it turns on. If it is before the bugs get flying good, you may have to point more toward the afternoon sun to maximize the late afternoon exposure, and cause it to kick on later.

W
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
I think i am going to scrap the solar powered bugslugger for now. I now have power to the pond and will probably just go that route.

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
BZ,

I'm really interested in your bug whacker setup that you made. It looks like it would work a lot better than the manufactured ones that can be bought online. Thanks for posting the essential part numbers of your system. I just ordered those parts tonight. The only thing that I'm having trouble finding is the dual bulb light fixture. I found a couple on the internet that would probably work, but they were pretty expensive. Do you know, and if so, could you tell me what light fixture you are using in yours? A part number, or even a name brand would be useful. Thanks for all of the information so far. My buddy and I are both looking forward to building a setup like yours.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.
B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
I bought my light fixture at Home Depot. It is a plain old dual flourescent kitchen fixture. I don't remember the brand but call Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and ask for a kitchen fixture. That is what it was specifically called. I'm sure I only paid around $20 for it. If you can't find one I can look at the inside of mine where there would no doubt be some company name or something to indicate who made it. The stainless salad bowl can be bought anywhere but make sure to get the light first and measure it so you know what sized bowl to get so the light fits up inside it. There are a few other things you need to modify such as moving the electrical components (starter & ballast) around inside the light fixture to make everything fit. You also need to drill a hole sideways through the arbor so you can stick one piece of line trimmer thru it. Then I used some rubber washers on either side of the line trimmer to cushion it. When you get all your stuff and if you need any more help just look me up here. If you're creative you'll probably figure out how to make it all work but I'd be glad to tell you how I did it. Good luck.

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Thanks BZ. This is going to be great. I can't wait to put everything together. I shouldn't have any problems. Once its up and running I'll create a post and give you all the kudos for it \:D .

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?