Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS, Ben Davis, DBS
18,529 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,011
Posts558,492
Members18,530
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,604
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,158
Who's Online Now
4 members (Fishingadventure, BoomerTC35D, Boondoggle, Snipe), 831 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
i am loving all this rain another 5 inches and i will be sking in my pond. i would like to see your light also bz

You can pay more but you cant buy better.
B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
I just learned to post pictures so here goes. If anyone wants some closeups showing more detail of how it's put together I could get some later.

Gotta get back to fishin!
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Oooooh BZ...yeah, more pitchers! Do the neighbors complain about the UFO hovering over yer pond? Is that a giant stainless steel salad bowl??? Looks cool!

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Here's what we need to build the hanger to swing the slugger over the pond and back to shore for maint.
http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/%7Eweinfurt/gaswelder.html

--Kevin Mc
It's not about the stomach. It's about the fish. Take care of the fish and the stomach will be fine.
B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
Yes Mat, that is a giant stainless salad bowl I got from my wife's kitchen. I will get some pictures from all angles so you can kind of see how it is made. The light is a standard kitchen light fixture from Home Depot that has two circular flourescent bulbs. The bowl has to be large enough for the light to fit inside. It's held in by the two carriage bolts and wing nuts you see at sticking out of the top. The motor and arbor on the motor shaft were purchased from Grainger as was the fan blade that you cannot see inside the galvanized shroud. I wanted a weatherproof motor so I used an enclosed unit that requires some cooling air flow around it, hence the fan shroud with a fan blade on the motor shaft. The fan shroud is 6 inch round heat duct attached to the motor mounting studs with a bracket. The thing that does the "slugging" is heavy weed trimmer line. I had to experiment with fan size and length of trimmer line that would work with this motor allowing it to stay cool but maximize the diameter of the spinning line to get as many bugs as possible. I think I have all the Grainger part numbers if anyone is interested who would like to duplicate these. When I get some more picturs I'll include more info. I have a swinging boom that fits over the pipe used for the legs of my dock. I can swing it in for maintenance. The only maintenance required so far is once a week to clean the trimmer line because it gets a buildup of bug guts on it. This unit has enough power to take down anything as big as a June bug yet will only injure most bugs so they still wiggle when in the water. I've found that mostly the small fish will feed at night under these. It's actually quite enjoyable to sit out at night and watch the bugs fly and the fish scoop them up. It will throw a pattern of bugs in about a 10 foot circle.

W
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
do you have any pics to show how its mounted on the pond bank?

K
K
Where did you get them from?

Quote:
Originally posted by wickedinhere:
ups delivered my bugsluggers today i bought 2 cause they were so darn cheap. i bought the 12 volt model
i will be using a solar setup with a 12v battery. i have one panel and i need one more plus the controller/charger. i will be updating this thread
when i start installing at my pond next week. here are some pics of the bug slugger.its a pretty nice setup for only 30.00.

1/6 acre pond in Dutchess County, NY
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
COMPLIMENTS OF NEDOC

CHARGER--ON SALE AT SEARS FOR 39.95, REGULARLY 64 BUCKS!

CHARGER HIDDEN UNDER A TOTE

ILLUMINATED!!!!

KILLING BUGGIES WITHIN 30 SECONDS OF OPERATION. HOOKED IT UP TO A TWO DOLLAR WALMART CHRISTMAS LIGHT TIMER.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
W
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
that is sweet can you please come and install mine?
i have a styrofoam icechest that i would like to install my solar panels on so that they can float around.i love the t posts.

Lunker
Lunker
You could add one of those thermoelectric coolers to it and keep your beer cold.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
W
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
i have been keeping a secret the reason i bought a 2nd bugslugger is i am gonna install one on my new pond boat.here NOT FOR SALE!

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Bruce, the light looks great! Was it knocking a large number of bugs on the water? or did you not get to stick around and find out? The last few nights have been breezy, but Tuesday I noticed large #'s of bugs out. It will be interesting to watch on a calm evening.

Keep us informed how well the hot tub perch like it.

I will be ordering the BoJo light shortly and have my horizontal aeration system in shortly. You will have to come check it out.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
What are the pros and cons of this setup compared to buying a Black and Decker 1 or 2 amp charger and using a battery to run the light at night and recharge, during the day?

--Kevin Mc
It's not about the stomach. It's about the fish. Take care of the fish and the stomach will be fine.
W
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
i sent you a pm

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'll watch tonight when I go out. There were tons of little midges getting knocked in the water within moments of installation, however I'm curioius to see what happens when Mr. Junebug happens by. ;\)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I can't believe there were no comments on my tote "artwork"! \:\) \:\)

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I think we're still trying to absorb that Redneck Cruise Ship. I recently got picked on for using my washing machine to hold the ice and beer at a party. Hey, it worked well!

--Kevin Mc
Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Condello:
I can't believe there were no comments on my tote "artwork"! \:\) \:\)
Did you paint that can of Diet Dew yourself? Great job!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I wanted it to look like I was just "off" enough to be unpredictable. Purposely misspelling a word makes people nervous for some reason.

Lunker
Lunker
I see. When I misspell, I'm wrong. \:\( When YOU misspell, you make people nervous.

-S. M. Stirling
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
'Mile? who's 'Mile?
Nice po' boyz BWS.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
sMILE! \:\)

I just got back from observing the bugslugger for about fifteen minutes. I noted the following:

1. Approximately two-hundred flying insects from 3-8 mm were flying all about the unit.

2. All bugs flew directly into the light.

3. At least ninety percent of the forays into the light resulted in a successful exit, unharmed.

4. Bugs that exited the light repeatedly attempted to enter the unit.

5. When the bugs hit the whip they were never observed to die. They were lightly injured.

6. Forty to fifty insects were flailing on the water when I left.

7. Being the first calm night since installation I was not surprised that there were not yet any slurping fish.

I'll keep reporting.

B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
They're fun to watch. If you watch for a while you will see that the bugs keep circulating around the light and eventually most of them get hit. The first time I put mine out I came back an hour later and there was about a 10 foot circle where there was only an inch or less between bugs. It took about a week before any fish discovered the night snacks. For some reason I can only get small fish 4 inches or less to feed at night. After running these for several years I've often checked in the morning after a calm night. By daylight I can't find a dead bug floating. I find that my BG will eat even dead bugs floating when early morning light hits. I've also spent time checking the effectiveness of this at different times of night. I've found that here in MN there are a lot of bugs until about midnight and then the number goes way down. Check it out after 2:00 am and you won't see hardly a thing flying. As a result I have mine on a timer and only run them from dusk to 2:00. I found an outdoor digital Xmas light timer that you can program to activate at dusk via light sensor and then run for as many hours as you want. So I just run for 4 hours after dusk.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
bz interesting observation about BG being reluctant night feeders. If I recall you have LMB in your pond also. LMB are awesome night feeders and have the sensory advantage over BG at night. This may explain why most BG don't venture far at night. To easy for them to get picked off as a LMB snack. I wonder if locating the bug zapper over or close to some thick cover , like a triangle of xmas trees or weed bed would increase the BG night feeding ?

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Bruce - thanks for the info. Update us again in a week or two so we know how the fish are responding.

Ewest - that sounds like a great idea for bluegill. I am planning on hanging mine over the edge of my dock, which has plastic snow fence in a continuous 'S' running from 2x12's underneath of it. The 'S' shape should allow the larger bluegill in the opening of the 'S' and the mesh of the fence should allow the little bluegill some refuge from the big bass.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob-O
Recent Posts
Building a sprayer for 10 acre farm pond
by BoomerTC35D - 05/15/24 01:06 AM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/14/24 07:06 PM
Tilapia with Winterkill
by Fishingadventure - 05/14/24 06:34 PM