Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
4 members (Shorthose, rjackson, gehajake, catscratch), 1,003 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#82249 01/31/07 11:34 AM
P
Pam H Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Here's my question(s): What is the best way to seal up a section of a clay pond damn? My 60-70 year old clay bottom pond was mostly drained about 15 years ago by cutting through the damn and installing a 3foot diameter 12 foot corrugated pipe. It was just layed in the cut away section - not back filled. When I bought the place 9 years ago, I removed the pipe and attempted to back fill the hole. I did this by hand and it did not hold. The pond is fed by a spring and a well. (Supposedly, during a drought in the 30's/40's, people came from as far as Baltimore to get water from this well.) Right now the pond is about 1 foot deep, has a thick layer of leaves and an even thicker layer of silt/decayed material(not silt from runoff). If I can successfully seal the damn, it would add about 2 feet to the depth. This would also increase the area from about 90 sq.ft. to about 150 sq.ft.
I doubt I can handle this work myself - I'm very handy but busy and getting older (i.e. my body hurts longer after hard work). What type of contractor do I look for? Do you have references for anyone in the Maryland area? What should I expect for the cost of having the clay moved and compacted? How is this type of work guaranteed?
I would really feel more comfortable spending the money if a "pond" expert gave me quidance first. I have one contact with an 'earth moving' contractor (a neighbor) but I'm afraid he doesn't have experience with natural areas and ponds, but I think he would 'take the job'. Sorry this was so long...I could get some digital pictures together if that would help. Thanks for your time, Pam Heimann
Lanham, Maryland

Pam Heimann
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hi Pam and welcome to Pond Boss!

I don't have an answer for you but I'm sure within short order one of the forum experts will provide you with the info that you need.

Glad you found us!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
hi pam, a couple pics would be helpful...(please post them at a somewhat reduced size). a question that came to mind reading yer post is what do you want out of the pond (i.e. what are your objectives for the pond)? it sounds like if the dam is fixed the pond will still only be about 3 feet deep but much larger in area...do you want fish, or just a body of water to look at?

depending on yer objectives, there are a couple different ways for you to proceed...an example might include (if you want fish) mucking out and deepening the entire pond basin and possibly raising (and fixing) the dam.

GSF are people too!

P
Pam H Offline OP
OP Offline
P
The pond has a healthy frog population and aquatic insect population but I've only rarely seen small fish. The pond in its current state has attracted Blue Herron, wood ducks and a pair of Barred Owls. As far as aquatic plants: the feathery green stuff and a grass-like plant are common but not taking over the whole pond. I want the pond to hold a decent fish population - not for fishing but to eat mosquito larvae and to feed the birds. I am planning to build a screened room that will overlook the pond and spring (not too close), so the view is important too. It would also be nice if when my dogs (and visiting dogs) go for a swim they don't come out either black or green.

Pam Heimann
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Pam,

Welcome!

If the pond is that small and shallow, you won't need a contractor. All you need is a couple of young guys with a shovel. Have them pack about 6" of dirt at a time, and stomp it down good between layers. Plant grass and lay some rocks atop the dam so it won't wash out when it tops the dam.

If the pond were deeper than 3', it would require a lot more work. 3' of water creates very little pressure, and a 150 square foot pond creates no flooding danger.

Good luck!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome, Pam...may I share a thought?
I am in the midst of developing a pondsite and surrounding area as a nature haven. Although our pond projects are considerably different in size and scope, they share similarities in the goals for which we both strive.
When I started my project, the only thing I was concerned for in the pond portion was a nice water feature. I really wasn't looking much further than the end of my nose and was comfortable with the goal. Then I got hooked up here and realized that I had an opportunity to not only achieve my "water feature" desire, but, with a little more time and money, I could take a "7 project" to a "10 project". In football-ese, I could either settle for the field goal, or drive in for the touchdown. I stretched and went for the big score; no regrets to date and I am confident the ROI is well in place.
My point: look at your project from a different angle before you decide. If you are going to bring in a contractor with a small backhoe, maybe you should think a little wider and/or a little deeper . Maybe this improvement can go a couple clicks higher and yield not only a more enjoyable water feature, but add monetary value as a more diverse pond.
Hey you PB fish nutz; how deep would she have to go to create a micro-fishery?

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Hello Pam,
Welcome to PB. I don't have an answer for you, but it sounds like if you are going to have some equipment come in (small excavator) you might as well have them remove the silt/sludge layer on the bottom. On a pond this small it won't take any time.
Also My Grandmother lives out by you, in the house my dad grew up in, over in Seabrook MD. Where she's at has grown up and changed since even I was a kid, but there are still some beautiful areas out that way. My Great Grandmother used to work at the Goverment Farm.

Matt Wehland

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i like yer prodding brettski.....my thoughts exactly...if you did decide to kick it up a notch pam, it would have to be deep enough for the fish to withstand ice up during the occassional strong winter back there....6 feet might be sufficient, 8 would be better at least in one end.

i grew up in potomac pam....many moons ago.... there were many small tenth acre (and smaller) type ponds in my area "full o sunfish"......i cut my fishin teeth there as a small boy, and have the greatest memories of it.

let us know what you decide on, either way, a property without water is....well....a property without water \:\) man, i'm deep...

GSF are people too!

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
If you do decide to keep it as you have explained then Bobad,s reply is on the money. A packed earthen dam will work just fine, people build houses and roads with the same method, the Great wall of China. Two or three day laborers and a couple of short, stout pieces of wood and in a day or two you are on your way. I like your idea of fish to feed the birds, most of us have the same thing happening but we would rather it didn't.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...