Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra, Meandvls, Eugene
18,473 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,934
Posts557,697
Members18,474
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
6 members (teehjaeh57, Boondoggle, Snipe, anthropic, Fishingadventure, FishinRod), 536 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bobad Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I recently ran across an old fiberglass sattelite dish, and am wondering if it would make good structure.

It's one of those king-sized dishes... must be at least 10' in diameter, and is very heavy. It's sort of a mustard yellow color, for better or worse.

With the huge bowl facing upward, the outer edges of the dish are 16-18" high. It makes a nice shady overhang that runs 3-4 feet beneath. Looks like an excellent hiding place for fish, and maybe a good horizontal surface for fathead to attach their eggs.

How about the huge yellow bowl? Should I partially fill it with dirt? Pea gravel? How about riprap? It may attract spawning bream, and they would be easy to see against the yellow background.

Thoughts?

J
J
I have been trying to think of ways to recycle one of these things as well. Mine is 12' in diameter and gray. It can be unbolted into four equal "pie pieces" which gives a few more options.

B
bobad Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Well, no replies JayMan. I guess nobody has tried it, so you and me will have to be pioneers. \:\)

I think I'll try it. I can always hoist it out of there if it looks bad or doesn't work as cover or habatat. It certainly sounds like it would be good for attracting nesting fatheads though. I hear they like to lay their eggs under horizontal surfaces, and there is over 100 square feet of surface there!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I have a similar old sat dish. It is mesh aluminum I think. I will do something with it. I also have a stainless steel washing machine tub with many 5/16" holes in it and a 5 inch hole in bottom where the agitator went. Any ideas on what to do with this?

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Throw it in...but be mindful of water level changes.

I cut the end off an old 60 gallon pressure tank and a 50 gallon water heater and put them both in. Unfortunately, the pressure tank is now exposed and mama don't like it one bit. Eventually, it'll sit in about 4 feet of water and make great CC nesting habitat.

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Matt considers the ramifications:
 Quote:
Unfortunately, the pressure tank is now exposed and mama don't like it one bit.
I gotta think, tho, that the stack of old tires balanced against Nessie creates an exterior decoration pallate that is appealing overall. :p \:D
(ya know, if you're anything like me you can't pick a color to paint worth a lick, but give me some junk-trash and look out Picasso)

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Every pond I build represents a chance to "clear the decks" of unwanted materials. As long as it isn't harmful to the environment or people, it goes in the new pond for fish structure. I have a 76 GMC p/u setting in the front yard in fine East Texas tradition that is going in the next new pond. \:D

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
ML, watch out. You may have to bush hog if you move the truck. ;\) Come to think of it, my dad's '58 Studebaker P/U is at my sister's house. That's a good idea. I'm taking bids on this permanent 'fishing reef'.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
bobad, might I suggest that if you do place the sat dish in the water, that you have some chain or cable attached to it that runs to shore.

That way, you might be able to easily drag it out of the water if you don't like it.

If not, please take some video if and when you try to remove it from the water. It could be a winner to watch!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Burgermeister says:
 Quote:
Come to think of it, my dad's '58 Studebaker P/U is at my sister's house. That's a good idea. I'm taking bids on this permanent 'fishing reef'.
I'LL TAKE IT! When I was 14 years old, that was the first vehicle I ever drove, tho I believe my experience was a stake bed. Deep in the northwoods of Wisconsin, my best pal's parents were hardcore timber loggers. It was a family affair. They taught me to get up early, run a chain saw, pull a spoke shave, load the logs into the truck and drive 'er. Man I miss that stuff.

Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sunil:
bobad, might I suggest that if you do place the sat dish in the water, that you have some chain or cable attached to it that runs to shore.

That way, you might be able to easily drag it out of the water if you don't like it.
Or when 12 foot satellite dishes come back in vogue! :rolleyes:

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Well, Brettski...I've got tires sticking out too. Mama hates 'em, but she knows that SOMEDAY, the water will finally cover them for good, as with the other "Structure"...she's way more optimistic than me, but I can't really use that word around her anymore...she don't want no more stuff in her pond.

We just got another inch of rain last night. I'm trying to be grateful, but the ponds are still not on a raise. Rains come just right for farmers...soakin' style. Unfortunately...that doesn't fill the ponds...oh well.

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...subliminally slick Matt declares:
 Quote:
she don't want no more stuff in her pond
(..."her" pond)hmmmmmm
I gotta remember that one.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I have a 600 dollar Sweeney feeder and solar panel that are serving as structure right now. Seventy mile per hour winds can do that sometimes. Don't know exactly where it is either. Somewhere in the bigger pond. The Sweeney folks have been nice, but I don't think I'll try to get them to warranty that particular bonehead move.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
right now there's 1000 BG gathered, waiting for the sun to come out

B
bobad Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by Brettski:
right now there's 1000 BG gathered, waiting for the sun to come out
Ya gotta wonder if a little current from the solar panel would attract the fish, or repel them. I know for sure that electricity attracts fire ants!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Brettski,I know what you mean about the Studebakers. My dad never drove anything else. They were just ahead of their time. His pickups had a 'real' overdrive in them, not just a 4th or 5th gear. It was a separate transmission box. There was a slide lever to put in or out of overdrive. When engaged, you got up to 45mph, let off the gas then back on, and it went into OD.
My dad's claim to fame(other than he could throw a rock over the watertank) was that he had the only vehicle in town that would climb 'depot hill' in high gear( 3 on the column). Also 4 main bearings in Studes. Good memories.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
BM, that's like looking in my rear view mirror. I had a 56 Power Hawk with that overdrive when I was a kid. Dang, that thing would run in OD.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Burger,
Ya know, I've been thinkin' more...perhaps more accurately described as reminiscing? Is it possible that it was a '48 stake bed Studebaker truck that I remember? I remember the green color, the wooden bed with stake rails (bigger than any standard PU truck bed, tho not huge), and 3 on the tree (pretty sure). I also remember a straight or slant 6...? Man, it had gutz and ALWAYS started. They just left it parked on the logging road they just blazed, at the point that they left off as they beat into the woods for pulp-wood. What a character builder from a life-style twice removed from my own.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
FYI.....until a couple of weeks ago we were suffering from a major drought in Ellis Cty. While my pond was down, I took my albatros (10'satellite dish) down and put it where the lake used to be and filled the bowl with Christmas trees and other metal junk that would keep it in place. Well, 2 weeks ago the lake filled up and I am now catching bass,crappie and bream all around it. Plus everyone I catch has a smile its little face from being able to watch the Jimmy Houston on satellite.......Yuk,Yuk
Build it and they will come........

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Bruce, sorry to hear about that expensive structure...but those guys with an original satellite dish are right there with you in terms of $$$ \:\)

Recently I posted a pic of my 200 fat cat feeder, ewest wanted to know what the wire to the top was for...I never thought about 70 mph winds turning my feerer into structure, I had this 350-400 lb. thing trying to root the feed out \:\)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
"Hogzillita"

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Maybe "Hogzelda"

Taking the liberty since I had the fortune/misfortune of naming the first one. \:D

Do fish actually kiss?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That's a better choice. \:D

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
My thought was a pork chop or two on the grill. Eastland nice work and I like that hammock. I now assume the wire was for shock treatment. \:D

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Boondoggle - 04/15/24 10:04 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:48 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Pumpkinseed
by FishinRod - 04/15/24 03:08 PM
Bream Freshly Hatched??
by Snipe - 04/15/24 01:41 PM
What type of babies are these?
by ewest - 04/15/24 01:31 PM
What did you do at your pond today?