Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,253
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,569
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
1 members (RAH), 668 guests, and 145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#7946 03/10/06 11:51 AM
J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Are cattails recemended in any situation? I only ask because some of my best fishing experiences were at ponds that were totally surrounded by them. the cattails were from the bank out to 3 feet of water. We would see who could get their lure closest to them without getting snagged. This seemed to be the key because they would often strike the second the lure hit water. The only bad thing was you could not fish from the bank . Most of the pond is over 6 feet deep. Is there a depth that the tails will no longer reach, or will they completely take over? Do the tails help with soil erossion along the bank? How about BG & fathead minnow spawning?

#7947 03/10/06 12:31 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
If most of your pond is 6ft, cattails won't be growing in your pond. To determine if one wants cattails in their pond, one would have to decide the purposes of their pond. Cattails do not only have attractive fish cover, but attract assortment of other creatures. Muskrats tend to favor cattails to do dances to piss off pond owners.(They even, Possibly, make blowgun devices out reeds any other suitable materials)
I would assume any vegetation would be helpful around pond banks, not just the cattail.
Native americans ate many parts of the cattail back in the day. So the cattail does have many uses. Just keep the floating seed debris out of my eyes on a windy day.

To Dam or not to dam

That isn't even a question
#7948 03/10/06 01:25 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
c-tail discussion link: cat-tails

#7949 03/10/06 02:19 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Cecil Baird1:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lance Kleckner:
[qb] If most of your pond is 6ft, cattails won't be growing in your pond. To determine if one wants cattails in their pond, one would have to decide the purposes of their pond. Cattails do not only have attractive fish cover, but attract assortment of other creatures. Muskrats tend to favor cattails to do dances to piss off pond owners.(They even, Possibly, make blowgun devices out reeds any other suitable materials)
I would assume any vegetation would be helpful around pond banks, not just the cattail.
Native americans ate many parts of the cattail back in the day. So the cattail does have many uses. Just keep the floating seed debris out of my eyes on a windy day.
I beg to differ. I have had them out to standing in 6 feet -- maybe deeper! In fact, they were taking over my 3/4 acre pond which has lots of 8 foot water.

I find it to much trouble to keep them controlled. They are no longer welcome along with the muskrats that dig into my dike that are attracted by them.

I will be spraying any little sprout that comes up with Habitat herbicide from now on! Take this you little $%#&*@*

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

#7950 03/10/06 07:41 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I new something was odd when I saw the link Brettski supplied.
I know the cattails in my locale are not a problem, so what's the deal? Could it be, possibly, be a different species.
Probably.
Narrowleaf cattail and its meaner cousin, a hybrid between 'gentle giant' broadleaf and 'crazy mofo' narrowleaf, are known to be way more invasive than the common broadleaf that is currently in my neck of the ponds.
Exotic cattails have come for you!

To Dam or not to dam

#7951 03/10/06 09:06 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Lance...
luv the cameo pic on the website; now I know I'm not alone
\:D
(edit)
...Cecil raves
 Quote:
I will be spraying any little sprout that comes up with Habitat herbicide from now on! Take this you little $%#&*@*
(I hate it when he beats around the bush ;\) )

#7952 03/10/06 10:45 PM
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
I love threads like this one. When someone calls my office to talk about invasive plants the question typically starts off like this, "When do plants become a problem?" My answer is usually, "When you think they are." Here's the way I see cattails. Nature uses cattails to hold loose soils in place, as these soils move into the water. I don't see cattails as ideal fish cover. There are other, less invasive plants and artificial things you can use for fish cover. I, too, have seen cattails growing in water much deeper than 6 feet, and those cattails rise above the water more than 8 feet. Yes, there are other species, even some dwarf cattails on the market, that people can choose to use to accomplish specific objectives. One important point on this thread, the fishery wasn't great in that original pond because of the cattails. The cattails happened to be involved in the pond, not necessarily a key ingredient to the great fish population. What I mean is this; a pond can develop a great fishery without cattails. Personally, I don't mind a few cattails, but keep them only where you want them.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
#7953 03/10/06 11:18 PM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
I'm kind of mixed on the cattails. I still have a lot to learn, but a pond I drained (and hope to redo this year after a few years of being dry) had cattails around it for probably 60 years. You can see where they were on the bank, but I bet the build up after all that time is still less than a foot deep. Maybe some debris washed to pond bottom?

I like the look. I like the fact that it helps prevent bank fishing. I like that they help hold soil. I like fishing near them. I'm not sure what to think regarding small fish hiding out in them. Is that a good or bad thing or both? I don't want them on my dams or elsewhere that I wouldn't want muskrats digging. I don't want them around my island either; but there are a lot of places around my pond that part of me would like to have them. Maybe (probably) more experience will change my perspective.

FWIW... I had some incredible cattails in one of my ponds as it was filling up. I think they just kept getting taller as the water rose until at some point, the stems couldn't support the weight, they fell over, turned yellow, and died out. You couldn't reach bottom with a long paddle and your arm partially in the water (over the side of the boat). I bet it was close to eight feet deep when they fell over. Once they died out, none grew back in that location.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
#7954 03/11/06 02:40 AM
J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I asked about cattails because I thought about transplanting some in my pond with low water. I do not want a pond surrounded by them by any means. I would just want a few small 10ft patches here and there. I am trying to put cover in the pond in as many forms as possible.My partners in this whole pond building thing like the idea and we are going into this idea knowing that if it gets out of hand we will have to pull them out one at a time. I have never seen cattails in more than 4 feet of water,keep in mind i am in northern kansas.Most of these ponds are at most 6 feet deep and i have never seen one be completely covered with cattail. One more thing, I hope I start a new trend with this whole pond managing thing. People just dont care about these pond, they fish them and take them for all they are worth and then move on to the next one. It is speading fast though almost all my friends and family are just keeping smaller bass for dinner and throwing the larger ones back. This practice would have got you killed 5 years ago.

#7955 03/11/06 09:27 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Ok, so this deep water cattail situation still wasn't registering to me. So I found a couple references that suggest one species grows in deeper water than the other:

Quote:
Typha angustifolia(narrowleaf) generally occurs in deeper water than Typha latifolia(broadleaf). Typha angustifolia(narrowleaf) has fewer and larger rhizomes, resulting in a low rate of cloning but enabling it to grow in deeper water than Typha latifolia. Typha angustifolia has a higher allocati onto sexual reproduction. Cattails spread both vegetatively and by seed, particularly underdrawdown conditions
 Quote:
Where Common Cattail and Narrow Leaf Cattail are found together, they are frequently segregated by water depth, with Common Cattail found in shallow water and Narrow Leaf Cattail in deep water, usually more than 2½' deep.
I'm assuming I have the common broadleaf cattail, which doesn't spread as fast, nor does it grow in as deep of water.

To Dam or not to dam

#7956 03/11/06 02:16 PM
G
G
John Wayne,
Below is a picture of what cattails will do in drought conditions with lowering water level. This area is normally 4 ft. deep with a ”few” cattails in shallow end.

Here’s the solution to our cattail problem – upper end deepened by 4 ft , so should be 8 ft deep when and if it ever rains again.

By the way – I’ll be happy to send you some, but believe me, you don’t want them…..
\:\)

George Glazener
N.E. Texas

#7957 03/11/06 03:38 PM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I tend to like them but they are not a problem in my pond. In fact I can't get them to grow all the way around my pond because of the clay. They don't seem to care much for that. I do have some that grow a ways out but in either place I do have some of my best catches.

#7958 03/11/06 10:13 PM
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Cattails! In Texas they can literally take over a pond if the soil is sandy or loose. This can limit you from fishing from the bank in many places, they are also snake havens. However, from a fishing standpoint, they are great. Like Texas 715 said you can have some of your best catches in these areas. Fish will position themselves right at the edge of the Cattails for an easy meal, they also like the cover and shade that they provide. You can flip or pitch a worm or tube on the edge or even one to two feet back into them and catch some really nice fish. I just wish there was a better way to control them, they seem to just keep spreading.

#7959 03/12/06 08:47 AM
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
We use touchdown pro herbicide at a 2% solution. With a few herbicide applications once they popup I feel not hard to control at all. MUch worse plants around than these guys and they require much more expensive herbicides.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
#7960 03/19/06 09:00 PM
J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I am going to give it a try, if things go bad I promise I will not bitch too much.

#7961 03/24/06 10:17 AM
Lunker
Lunker
Does anyone know if cattails would make suitable natural spawning structure for fathead minnows? It seems to me that cattails might also provide a place for FH to hide from predators.

We always have some cattails in the pond and periodically spray them to keep them out of areas that we don't want them in. We also leave some areas untouched in the shallow end to provide some nesting cover for the red winged black birds.

#7962 03/24/06 10:55 AM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Shorty - I don't think you will get much benefit as spawning substrate for fatheads by cattails. Faheads usually prefer an overhead flat substrate for egg deposition. Depending on the density and size of the stands Cattails do provide some refuge areas for small fish and lots of invertebrates especially since the old stems of cattails remain standing all winter and until new regrowth starts in spring. I would consider cattails a form of "fluffy cover" as opposed to dense cover, since the stems are fairly widely spaced and smaller to medium sized fish can hunt through them pretty good. Catail stands provide good edgelines for fishing.

On the negative side catatils displace more desirable plant species and tend to gradually fill in a pond more than other desirable species that annually produce less biomass. Cattails can relatively qucikly close up a small pond. Over large areas, mowing off the tops after the heads are formed BUT still immature and a SECOND mowing a few weeks later will give considerable natural, non-chemical control.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
#7963 03/24/06 11:23 AM
Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Fatheads usually prefer an overhead flat substrate for egg deposition.
I was thinking that maybe last years cattails that are laid down right now might just provide that type of cover, but not sure if they would be wide enough for FH minnows to utilize.

#7964 03/24/06 11:45 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I have some extra pallets if you need 'em, Steve.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
#7965 03/24/06 12:05 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Bruce, I might have to go with something a little more "aesthetic" than pallets. I may just get a bundle of cedar shingles and plant them in the shallow end of the pond in and around the cattails so they are not very noticable. ;\)

#7966 03/24/06 12:27 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My fatheads will spawn on the bottom of a floating piece of styrofoam cup. \:D \:D

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
1 member likes this: GotAPond
#7967 03/24/06 01:08 PM
Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty:
Bruce, I might have to go with something a little more "aesthetic" than pallets. I may just get a bundle of cedar shingles and plant them in the shallow end of the pond in and around the cattails so they are not very noticable. ;\)
What's not asthetic about pallets? All those fancy painters use 'em.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
#7968 03/24/06 01:34 PM
Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
What's not asthetic about pallets? All those fancy painters use 'em.
Well, all I can tell you is that the pond owner (my dad) and the primary fish manager (me) have some very different views on what is aestheticly pleasing and whats not out at the pond. \:D

#7969 03/24/06 02:22 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Theo steps up to the plate. He swings - he misses. And again, and again - strike three.

I hope you don't think I was dissing your taste or your father's, Shorty. No insult intended, and I'm sorry if one came across. \:\(

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
#7970 03/24/06 02:43 PM
Lunker
Lunker
No insult taken Theo, while Lusk was at Bruce's for the BG seining we had a conversation afterwards about the goals for "our" pond with Lusk. Long story short, I like the clear water and the weeds in the water, my dad doesn't care for unsightly weeds growing all the way to the surface everywhere. My dad and I are working on having "complementary" goals for the pond rather than "competing" ones. His goals are more aesthectic in nature while mine are more geared towards a healthy LMB and BG population. My comment was kind of an inside joke for Bruce. ;\) \:D

Anywho, I understand that any steps I take to improve the fishery in the pond should not conflict with his aesthetic goals. ;\)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:52 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:49 PM
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety
by KiwiGuy - 05/04/24 11:49 PM
My First