Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS, Ben Davis
18,530 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,013
Posts558,517
Members18,530
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,159
Who's Online Now
9 members (ewest, catscratch, RAH, LANGSTER, Jason D, Don Kennedy, FishinRod, Theo Gallus, Angler8689), 1,141 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#78013 11/02/06 12:13 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
As you may know I just got some Canadian brook trout from northern Wisconsin. In a sense they are stunted initially because of 45 degree well water. Too low of temps for optimum growth even for a coldwater fish. One year old fish are only 3 or 4 inches and 2 years olds are only 7 to 8 inches. Optimum water temps would produce 10 to 12 inch fish and 13 to 15 inch fish repectfully.

Anyway, I put these fish into my pond with temps averaging in the upper 50's to lower 60's in summer. They seem to go into a catch up mode and end up trophies in two more years. Even bigger than typical brook trout. I think max lifespan is 4 years as I have not been able to hold them more than 2 years after I get the 2 year olds.

I have to wonder if once I hatch my own, and start them in warmer water from the get go, how big I can get them in 4 years?

Thoughts?

Here's one that started out as 7 to 8 inches as a two year old and ended up over 5 lbs. two years later. Excuse my appearance. It was cold out and I just got out of bed! I also suffer from morning allergies! \:D

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
If the stunting is due solely to the low temps, would this not also have provided some lifespan extension? Like say 3 cold years only using up 2 warm years worth of lifspean? So that once you warm them up, they have more time to catch up than if they had been stunted by lack of food in warm temps?

OTOH, Cecil, I think you could fatten up FHM into 4 oz. trophies you wanted too.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Theo Gallus:
If the stunting is due solely to the low temps, would this not also have provided some lifespan extension? Like say 3 cold years only using up 2 warm years worth of lifspean? So that once you warm them up, they have more time to catch up than if they had been stunted by lack of food in warm temps?

OTOH, Cecil, I think you could fatten up FHM into 4 oz. trophies you wanted too.
You know I thought about that. The hatchery says they have a runty fish of only about 6 inches they keep that is 12 years old! Lots of factors to consider on growing fish big. Still experimenting.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
CB1 :

Here is the thread that led to Bill doing the archive post you noted above. You can post there . \:\)

http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000397;p=1#000001

I think it would be best to start your question under a different heading like "Stunted Trout" or "Trout Growth Rates" so we can find it again. I hate to lose the data/discussion based on headings. I will look to see if I can find any info wrt your question , maybe we can get a good thread on trout started.

All note that there is little or no posting on archive threads (including Bob and moderators) so as to keep it functional for the question covered (no discussion needed there). \:\)

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
CB1 - are you going to retitle your post as suggested by Ewest or should we do it for you?

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Cody:
CB1 - are you going to retitle your post as suggested by Ewest or should we do it for you?
Easy Bill I just got here today! \:D

Go ahead please.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Cecil aka CB1 - How are the new trout doing? Feeding well I hope.
A. Any losses?
B. How are they behaving compared to the first batch of brookies from the other supplier?
C. Any photos of the freshly stocked fish before stocking for a kind of before and after Cecil's magic touch influence (Cecil Envy) thing?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I think CB1 missed my previous post unless he is now ignoring me.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Cody:
Cecil aka CB1 - How are the new trout doing? Feeding well I hope.
A. Any losses?
B. How are they behaving compared to the first batch of brookies from the other supplier?
C. Any photos of the freshly stocked fish before stocking for a kind of before and after Cecil's magic touch influence (Cecil Envy) thing?
No Bill just saw your post. I would never ignore you. You're too full of good information and a great person to boot.

No morts that I am aware of, and I am getting them to feed just before dark just like the previous batch I got back in 2003 from the same source. They are spooky but don't seem to be as spooky as the previous batch. Sorry no pics of them just before planting. I would have done it at the hathery but I forgot all about it.

As far as these in comparison to the other source, with the other source I was losing them almost immediately and lost about 20 in the first two weeks. Not seeing that here although if any are laying dead on the bottom I wouldn't know it. And in all fairness to that source it may have been that the larger browns already in the pond stressed the smaller brooks.

Water was crystal clear before I left to pick up the fish, but has taken on a more opaque emerald green color thanks to all the rain. Still good quality water, and proabably a blessing as I had a Kingfisher here a couple of weeks ago. Had the water stayed crystal clear he would have had a field day if he is still around.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
BG sex?
by ewest - 05/16/24 11:32 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by RAH - 05/16/24 11:31 AM
Happy Birthday Bob-O
by Pat Williamson - 05/16/24 07:53 AM
Optimal vs. Purina
by gehajake - 05/16/24 07:26 AM
Repairing Dam with Culvert?
by jludwig - 05/15/24 12:21 PM
Pest Control around Pond