Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
etx-pond-c, Painterpond, Energymble, Kendal, BoomerTC35D
18,534 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,019
Posts558,559
Members18,535
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
2 members (anthropic, Bennettrand), 231 guests, and 199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Lunker
Lunker
I bet Southern Whitetails breed sooner so as to drop fawns earlier next year, to coincide with the earlier Spring.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Not so Theo, the south Texas region has the latest scheduled rut, it usually peaks in the last of December.(see the link)

Pond Boss subscriber ever since I joined the forum. Thanks Bob!
Lunker
Lunker
???

Must be another example of the Completion Backwards Principle.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Theo, I think with the warmer weather here, they're just like the bgills, they spawn 3 or 4 times a year ! Hard to tell if it's the same doe, but most definately the same buck...if he's lucky \:\)

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Not an expert on this but I saw where (just like fish) part is based on photo period (day light length).

Here is some info.

"The length of the rut is generally determined by latitude and day length. In the more northern areas of the whitetail range, such as New York and Wisconsin, changes in day length are pronounced. With the shorter days of fall, the rutting activity increases and ends within a relatively short period of time. In the southern states, differences in day length are not as pronounced and the breeding season lasts for several weeks.l Whitetail's near the Equator actually breed year around."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ewest, Sounds like around the Equator, they have a rolling rut.

I took the day off today and went to the country. I saw 4 fawns/yearlings running together about 3:00 in the afternoon. They don't have a clue what is going on. I have had no time to actually walk thru the woods to hunt up scrapes and/or rubs. Like the little deer, I don't have a clue.

I think bow season starts this weekend but I don't bow hunt.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
bz
Scrapes don't mean a whole lot this early. The bucks will stake their area. NOTHING really starts happening until the Mrs. says it's time! I have studied the Edwards Plateau (Sutton County) and So. Texas (Wilson, Medina and Frio Counties) for 40 years. As ewest stated, the Fall Equinox is a factor and I believe things 'heat' up a week or so AFTER the second full moon. This year most of Texas should see a peak rut earlier than normal. The Oct. 7 and Nov. 5 full moons tell me that I need to be active in the pasture Thanksgiving week. When I can smell a scrape at 20 steps I will observe it. I have seen 3-4 bucks use the same scrape...so patience is a must for a viewing of the dominate buck. Our normal peak for areas mentioned is Dec. 5. Yes, factors such as buck-doe ratio, extreem dry or wet weather, and temps. play a role. All this rhetoric and a dollar may get one a DIET DEW!
My .02...we shall see.

Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by ahvatsa:
All this rhetoric and a dollar may get one a DIET DEW!
My .02...we shall see.
I take 3 DMD out with me in the morning every day of Deer season. \:D

-S. M. Stirling
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
doesnt 3DMD bring on pee? or are you putting them on the scrapes?

Lunker
Lunker
CB:

You have to understand Theo's Ergonomically Correct Deer Hunting Method. I sit in a lawn chair (inherited from my Wife's Grandpa, who always got his deer) and shoot the first deer that wakes me up. Without the DMD, I could be injured via stomping or impaling before waking. So it's really a safety issue.

We have so many deer now, you can't sling a dead cat without hitting a doe. So while the DMD residue undoubtedly deters trophies, it's not a problem for a meat hunter like me (I actually shot a buck last year, a 4-pointer, and felt guilty for not taking out a breeding female). Thus far, I have been unable to interest the Ohio DNR in a dead cat season on deer.

-S. M. Stirling
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
gotcha, i have too many deer too, my genetics must not be too good cause one only has 3 legs.

i think i can get at least 4 tags, but none for dead cats.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Interesting. There could be another season and it might have a name. We already have archery season and rifle season. The weekend prior to the opening of rifle season is youth only weekend (season). Some states have black powder season.

In some TX counties, there is an extended season for the taking or cropping of excess does. We could name it the the TDC season or Theos dead cat season. BTW, not to be confused with the TDC meaning Texas Department of Corrections. OK, change it to the Gallus dead cat season or GDC season. Nah, that wouldn't work either.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Theo:

Remind me for next year, and I'll be pleased and proud to provide alla dead cats you care to sling. For that matter, you can do whatever you want with them...if that means slingin' 'em at deer, that's fine. If you just wanna keep around for company while deer huntin', so be it.

I've got plenty to go round. Give me a physical address. I'll see you don't run out during the season.

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

Lunker
Lunker
You're too kind. Normally I have to resort to E-Bay to keep up my dead cat supply. :rolleyes:

-S. M. Stirling
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
they busted some kid in iowa for tortoring his cat, just this week. so, maybe we had better find more appealling weapons

http://www.kcci.com/news/9955397/detail.html

dont forget those landowner tags, slug, bow/black, doe only. think more landowner is possible (each parcel) and more doe. road kill salvage tags from deputies. but if you are trying to start an outfitter then forget about your clients from out of state getting tags.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bonvillian, lownums, Skywave
Recent Posts
Stocking a new 17 acre, 25 ft deep pond in KC, MO
by fletchccc - 05/20/24 12:05 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 04:54 PM
Spillway recovery from record rains
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 04:37 PM
TadpolePalooza!
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 11:20 AM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by FishinRod - 05/19/24 09:06 AM
Trapping the Crays
by Boondoggle - 05/18/24 05:17 PM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/17/24 11:57 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by H20fwler - 05/17/24 10:51 AM
Bird Deter for patio furniture....
by Energymble - 05/17/24 04:46 AM
BG sex?