Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (FishinRod, Fishingadventure, 4CornersPuddle, Bigtrh24, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Ponderific2024), 1,109 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
OP Offline
H
A problem several have mentioned here, and one which I share, is the difficulty in knowing whether Tilapia are even still present, much less reproducing, once the pond blooms. The first indication I have each year is to wait until water runs over the spillway and check the pool beneath. About a week ago, this happened, and I could confirm the presence of the young of the Tilapia nilotica which had been stocked in late April this year. I decided to test a rough-and-ready method of checking which would be less dependent on capricious weather and which might give me some reassurance earlier in the summer.

Inside a standard wire minnow trap, without extender, I placed a can of creamed corn which I had punctured multiple times. I set the trap in a shady and protected place (in my boat house, under the pier) and waited 24 hours. I checked it a few minutes ago and identified 20 small Tilapia, averaging about 1 inch long. They seemed very active and healthy. I saw no other species in the trap.

I plan on sampling again when the water begins to cool to see if the young are still eating and at intervals thereafter to get an idea of the numbers of Tilapia small enough to enter the orifices and big enough not to exit through the mesh. I hope to get an idea of when they disappear, as well.

I am also planning to sample again next year, if I am still a pondmeister at the time, starting about six or eight weeks after Tilapia stocking. I will let you know what I find out. Seems a lot easier than running a seine and may tell more about fish behavior.
Lou (13.5)

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I can say without a doubt that mine have reproduced multiple times this season. My pond is now totally devoid of any vegetation that is in the water. This year the results have been more dramatic for me because we are in such a bad drought. I stocked more fish this year and have much less water because of a lack of rain. I know I was overly optamistic about our rain chances. Even though I have hybrid bass in my pond they can't keep up with the reproductive power of these fish. The way they can reproduce is amazing. I can see how they could very easily cause problems of overproducing.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
 Quote:
Originally posted by heronblu:
The first indication I have each year is to wait until water runs over the spillway and check the pool beneath. Lou (13.5)
Lou,

Water running over the spillway is but a distant fond memory around here. \:\)

One way I confirm the presence of Tilapia in my ponds is to observe them in shallow locations doing their spawning ritual..in chasing each other they leave wakes and swirls that are unique to them. It is a scene played out almost every day especially in low light conditions.

Interested to read about your trapping approach. I haven't had luck trapping them but like your can of corn approach and will give it a try.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Maybe also try a can of spinach with holes in the can. Or just put spinach or lettuce leaves in the trap. Experiment. During the Pond Boss Convention in March I will present some fish traping methods that might work for tilapia.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM