Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Neal Horner, Champ59, fletchccc, etx-pond-c, Painterpond
18,537 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,022
Posts558,589
Members18,538
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,516
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
11 members (Champ59, Shorthose, Huntmastr1, Tinylake, catscratch, LeighAnn, FishinRod, phinfan, ewest, etx-pond-c, WiYeti), 1,034 guests, and 161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
boomer2 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I grew up in Florida all my life and from time to time, we have fish consumption advisory for mercury. What causes mercury in water sources? Are some states more susceptible to mercury poisoning than others? Do cattle produce any harmful pollutants in ponds? Also, how can maintain a healthy pond for harvesting fish?

Jack
1 acre pond in N.Alabama
B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
I can't speak about FL but here in MN we get mercury in our water from paper factory fallout mostly from Canada (mercury goes up the stacks and comes down in the rain). Some how they use mercury in making paper. We also have naturally occuring mercury that leaches out of rocks.

Gotta get back to fishin!
Lunker
Lunker
I think it may occur in some coal deposits, and hence the exhaust from some coal-burning power plants, as well.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
In CA its from the gold rush, both from the mining of Hg (mercury) near the coast, and from recent sedimentation of Hg used in the mountains during the processing of gold....it made its way across the entire width of CA and is present in the S.F. Bay, estuaries, and near shore Pacific ocean. Advisories in Clear Lake (the biggest natural lake in CA) IIRC include no more than 1 pound of LMB per month per person or something to that effect.

many mountain properties are built on old gold mining claims, and the ponds are thusly prone to high Hg. anybody who owns a pond in the Sierra Nevada should have it tested at least once for Hg before eating lots of fish out of it.

GSF are people too!

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
 Quote:
Originally posted by boomer2:
Do cattle produce any harmful pollutants in ponds? Also, how can maintain a healthy pond for harvesting fish?
Boomer2,

To comment on this aspect of your question...we have cattle and ponds and the one pond that we designate for fish consumption, we fence off from the cattle. We don't feed any growth hormones or anything unnatural to the cattle, but still feel that fish have a much better taste if the pond waters are not subject to cattle use. If there was a feed lot feeding growth hormones or other chemicals to cattle in the watershed for a pond, I think I wouldn't eat those fish...just my personal opinion.

B
boomer2 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Thanks everyone for all your replies. If properly managed and depending on the location, I get the impression that pond fish are safe to eat.

I see most here feel that fertilizing a pond will greatly benefit the fish and their growth. Does anyone here worry about dangerous chemicals from fertilizers getting into the fish? Is there an alternate organic method to fertilizing a pond?

Jack
1 acre pond in N.Alabama
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
dangerous chemicals? The recommended fertilizers have no trace elements and contain mostly, if not all, phosphorus. In a mature pond, triple phosphate works quite well, assuming you have enough water hardness for it to be active. As far as organics, if you feed your fish and overfeed, that would apply nutrients to the pond.....at the risk of reduced water quality, possible O2 crashes, among others.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Nothing more organic than cow manure. However, I have no idea how to compare it to chemicals. I don't use either. I don't need it and can't count on my water levels staying static enough to push the envelope on carrying capacity.

Fertilizer of any kind will benefit an infertile pond. However, if you don't need it, don't do it.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
JB Askew
Recent Posts
I think I killed all my fish
by Tinylake - 05/21/24 11:30 AM
Help,BG Dying, 1 a day
by Champ59 - 05/21/24 11:30 AM
Spillway recovery from record rains
by etx-pond-c - 05/21/24 09:30 AM
Fish Finder?
by catscratch - 05/21/24 07:28 AM
Optimal vs Purina. Optimal for the Win
by Willy Wonka - 05/21/24 03:35 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Boondoggle - 05/20/24 10:01 PM
Trapping the Crays
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 05:16 PM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Sunil - 05/20/24 08:09 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 04:54 PM
TadpolePalooza!
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 11:20 AM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023