Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 712 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#73243 07/30/06 01:58 PM
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
In late June the TGG pond was observed to be highly turbid. Visibility in the pond was essentially zero. This happened during a 4 day absence from the Ranch. At first, the cause was thought to perhaps be foul play, e.g. seining/poaching because at the same time only very few fish appeared to be surviving. No activity at the feeders, no feeding on Gambusia, no fish to be caught, and no dead fish observed. The Gambusia, in a very short time, multiplied to huge numbers covering a large part of the pond indicating no predation.

The turbidity very slowly improved to where now there is a visibility of about 3 to 4 inches. As the turbidity has improved, the fish activity has picked up. As a result, I was able to catch fish again for this update. During this period, there is no evident growth of the TGGs. Fish are at about 8 inches, the same as measured in June. However, there is evident weight gain in the TGGs. Perhaps this is the expected shift in the length vs weight curve which as indicated in other HBG data happens as the fish reach 8 inches. Unfortunately, I only have the Berkely scales (a situation which will soon be remedied) and those scales do not have adequate granularity at small weights. The fish are very healthy; fight very spirited, and are obviously heavier than the June fish. The absence of Fx TGG continues with none showing up in the traps. The HSB are running about 12 inches (stocked at 3 to 4 inches last Dec.) and also appear to be in good health. With clearing water and cooler temps things should get back to normal for the Oct. update.

A picture of the pond as it was in late June is shown below. The August update pictures (along with all previous pictures) can be viewed at the following link:

http://www.meadowlarkponds.com/TGG.htm

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Very strange wrt the water. Did you take any temps ? I assume nither rain or cows were the cause. Did the water prior to this look like the other pics of your pond water ( good green color with 18-24 in. visa.)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I got spring rains that did the same thing to mine. Now, it has cleared.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
I'm glad the TGGs are still there and OK. It reminds me a little of last year when my pond got murky as all get on for 2 days. IIRC feeding was down during that time. Whatever it was settled out in a bucket about a day before in the pond and did not feel gritty when rubbed on my teeth (Does putting unidentified substances from your pond in your mouth qualify you as a PM, or just an idiot?). These mysterious "events" that happen in our ponds are, well, mysterious :rolleyes: .

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Temps...no, EWEST, I should have checked that, my mistake...but I'm (pretty) sure it wasn't turnover. The pond is only 6 feet deep so there wouldn't be stratification, I wouldn't think. Also, aeration is present.

No major rain event during the time this happened. The Texas drought was in full swing.

Cows, that's a possibility. Maybe a mass swiming party by the cows. It's possible I guess they could have been avoiding some kind of insect attack.

I'm really reaching...actually have no idea what happened and probably will never know. Water in all other ponds, two of which are within sight of this one, is perfectly normal. This pond was renovated last fall and since then has had a consistent low visibility due to turbidity, with visibilities of about 10 to 12 inches and steadily improving.

To add to the confusion, we received 2.25 inches of rain this week and the pond actually improved in visibility...so unlike DD's case, I don't believe rain was a factor. Like Theo said, its a mystery.

The good news is that the fish do not seem to be adversely affected, other than not eating much and not growing much during this period. I was worried about the HSB as much as the TGGs but catching a couple of them showed they are doing just fine, also. Strange set of events.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Any chance part was a brown bloom. We get those toward end of summer after no rain for a while. The only other thing I can think of would be that in renovating the pond you set the stage for some chemical event that would not occur until a certain water temp occurred for a period of time. Really guessing here. Is the aerator off the pond bottom? If the water volume in the pond went down some that would increase the water turnover rate via aeration which in turn could add to turbidity suspension.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
ML, where is the aerator in the photo? Hopefully the pond is back on the upswing. I noted that the TGG bodies are catching up with the mouth size; more 'normal' looking now.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Interesting, but I've kind of wondered about the aeration, also. The aerator is located in the upper left area of the picture. It is located on the pond bottom at about 6 feet. That shallow, it generates a healthy boil. I've wondered if it does contribute to the problem, but the visibility is improving anyway with the aerator running. Deb suggested I try some alum, and I did add a little but I'm really leary of using that.

Don't think it is brown algae. May be related to renovation, in some strange way.

The pond has only one grass carp and zero Tilapia.

Yes, Jim, they are beginning to put on some good weight and have a noticably improved fight. If this water problem clears and the temps fall some in September, the Oct. report should be interesting.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
ML, later in the year, I got a really good rain and the pond cleared but only temporarily. I believe the runoff was sitting on top of the clay. In a week it had remixed and everything was muddy. It took several months for the clay to settle. I don't have cows so I thought it must be catfish. However, the level has again drought retreated and is not muddy. Heck, I don't know.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Meadowlark, We have been getting down pours daly on the southwest end of Lake Livingston.I have measured 4" of rain since July 28. I wasnt home this past week but my wife was and she said it rained every day in the afternoon's.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Heck, It's pouring now.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Tim,

You really know how to hurt a guy. ;\) We are north of the lake about 15 miles and have missed most of those showers...could really use them on my hay field. We did, however, get just over a couple of inches last week which helped some.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM