Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,808
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
14 members (catscratch, Boondoggle, TLL, FishinRod, BCR Pond, Theeck, Sunil, Justin W, Amhano8r, Steve Clubb, Terry Battisti, Donatello, GunBoss, Fishingadventure), 1,080 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Check here for a couple more photos of tree/pallet structures.

http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=004988

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
I
I
dave b, i posted somewhere a year or so ago about my pvc trees. i built a long white vinyl pvc fence. lots of left over parts; had to cut some of the bottoms of the post and rails etc. also, you can check for left overs from a fence company or plumbing company. i took those, drilled holes thru them and thread them on stiff rebar. then anchored them in in quickreted buckets. put some old bent fence posts x'd on bottom to keep upright. worked well. also, on some of them, i took some metal fence posts, drove them as far in as i could leaving a few feet out, then tied xmas trees and pvc trees to it with plastic duck decoy wire to keep trees upright. the post method was the easiest. easier to do as pond is filling . otherwise, get some scuba gear which is what i did on some of the trees/posts. hope this helps, mark williams ilovefishingmark wish i could find the pictures somewhere.

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker
So no one misunderstands...my comment was partly tongue in cheek. I certainly welcome questions, but I also welcome paying customers. We have chosen to keep this site free, to provide the best information to all comers. As you all know, this site has taken a life all its own, and I love it. But, I would be remiss not to remind everyone to be sure and buy a subscription. It's what fuels the magazine as well as this website.
No harm intended...just offering everyone the opportunity to buy a subscription.
So there. Thanks, friends and subscribers.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've placed a couple of back issues of Pond Boss out in the waiting room of my dental office. Both were immediately stolen so they must be pretty darn informative!

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Lunker
Lunker
I'll have Kathy send a couple more. Let's nab those thieves.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
I sit outside of your office and send your patients in to take them and give them to me. It is cheaper than a sub. \:D

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
If you're still looking for carpet tubes, go to any home supply store (Menard's, Blowes, etc) or a local lumber yard and ask for Sono Tubes.

8"-16" diameter cardboard tubes used for pouring footings of concrete. Waxed, they hold up for months and are cheap (12" x 48" was about $5 last time I bought them.)

I only hadda use about a 6" piece to hold down the average xmas tree (maybe 15-20 lbs of crete).

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

B
B
Has anyone tried anchoring the bottom of the trres with concrete, and wiring a 2 liter bottle to the top of the tree to give extra bouancy at the top causing it to float vertically?

even a blind nut finds a squirrel every now and then!
D
D
Matt:

That is exactly what I did. Home Depot sells cardboard concrete forming tubes. I found that carpet roll tubes were too small of a diameter to sink a tree. The tubes I used are 12" diameter and 4' in length. I cut the tube to 12" sections with a chain saw to produce 4 tubes per tube. Then I placed two ropes between two trees with the rope placed about 4' off the ground. Next put the tubes on level ground, drop in a tree and fill with the cheapest concrete you can buy using a 5 gallon bucket. I bough concrete from the same Home Depot - 90 lb. bags for
$ 2.10 per bag and rented the mixer from them too. Fill each 12" x 12" tube with 11" deep of concrete. Last have the ropes hanging on each side of the trees so that the concrete cures over the course of two days and the trees stand up right. This amount of concrete per tube sunk every 4' - 7' tree with no problem. I ended up putting 225 trees in the lake over the course of three days working by myself. I used two of our docks as a barge to transport the trees (50 per load) and pulled the barge around with me boat to the various pre-selected and marked with a buoy spots. I grouped the trees in tight 10 - 25 tree groups on points and underwater islands with immediate access to deep water. The trees are in 10' - 25' of water now. After placing the trees I took GPS positions of each of the clumps. These have become key spots for me to catch bass in my lake. Amazing what good structure will do to attract bass. Lots of work but well worth the effort.

Dave

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Dave B, 225 trees? Just goes to show that there's nothing a labor of love can't accomplish. If I recall, you have a pretty good size pond/lake.

So how does next week sound for me a few PB forum members to come out and fish?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I used plastic pots that plants came in. Had several just laying around. Cut the cedar trees, put nails in the trunks and put the quikcrete in. When the crete dried I cut the plastic pots off and sank the trees. Seemed to work okay

K
ken Offline
Lunker
Lunker
K
i use 6' to 8' christmas tree , cut one side flush and hold it down with couple rocks. get alot more habitat , fish love it. we all want happy fish \:\)

i only wanted to have some fun
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I've used both cleaned anti-freeze and bleach bottles wired close to the top of cedar trees for years.Tie to the main trunk and use heavy concrete blocks Tied to the base of the cedar. On pond bottoms slopes they tend to remain in place and upright. Buckets with concrete would tip on uneven surfaces and tree would be on its side. Kids running a gas motor on a boat caused many of my buckets and cross braced wood to fall over.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I picked up 10 of this years Xmas trees. I want to add to the original 4 structures with a additional tree or two to each.

I was thinking of just laying down 4 or 5 trees with the trunk twards the bank and placing them 2 to 3 feet apart in a row. The bank has a nice slope leading into about 5 foot of water. What do you guys think?

Joey
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Joey:

They'll last about 2-3 years at best, that way. That's what mine do, anyway. If I sink them completely, they seem to last a lot longer...just off shore, in maybe 7 meet of water...

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Joey :

Tell us what you want from the xmas trees. Cover to concentrate fish for fishing or for an aid to spawning and protection of yoy fry. Where is the existing cover/structure and where do you think the BG will be nesting ?

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Everyplace that there is things in the water, either a laydown or dock or grass, there is always fish around. Little ones big ones etc. On that bank the bass spawn near the point and one spawned almost in the corner. The whole bank is a tapering slope with basically nothing on it. I layed a old RR tie but other then that its bare. There are very few fish there when I look the pond over. I was just thinking by laying the trees down it might pull small fish in and maybe bigger ones hang by the tops of the trees in the deeper water. By spacing them I figure it gives a casting lane, plus maybe a place for one to tuck up and spawn, also give the sunfish a place to hang out semi protected.

Joey
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
My only suggestion would be to put a couple of xmas trees on the back (deep side) of the island in addition to where you have them drawn. I would space them out by depth also.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Ya, I got enough. I could do 3 on the deep side of the island, 3 where I figured and one more on each of last years structures. There gonne be on a sharp drop on the backside of the island. When the trackhow dug that part it was just about vertical.

In the first pic, the trackhoes boom is pointing to where you sugested to put the trees.

In the second pic to the right of the pick is the backside of the island or the old dam. That aria you see is covered in about 10 inches of water then it tapers up to land, but the drop off is a sharp vertical drop right to the bottom into about 6 feet then it tapers to about 7 1/2. I just felt like sharing the pics...!

Joey
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
That sounds like a good plan to me. An xmas tree laying down on a steep slope should be a good spot.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by BCR Pond - 04/19/24 03:42 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?