Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,099
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,416
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
10 members (esshup, Layne, Dylanfrely, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure, Angler8689, Sunil, jpsdad), 709 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
My son-in-law came up from Florida and wanted to go fishing on my pond for LMB, so I was happy to oblige.

He caught the first bass (around 3 pounds), then a 2 pounder. I loaded up with a 4 pounder and a 2 pounder myself and we threw back about four more smaller ones. He finally landed another one almost 2 pounds in weight.

When we got back to the wooden dock at the end of our floating pier, I pulled the boat up and caught the chain-type stringer on one of the planks and the bass broke loose.

Fortunately, my foot could not reach my rear end or I would have had a kickin' contest.

There is no telling where that stringer ended up. Man, what could I do, except feel like the world's biggest dummy. Man, that was a nice stringer of fish for only an hour's worth of work.

My wife says not to worry, we will see that stringer again. I seriously doubt it.

Now what a fish story that would make if one of us could snag that stringer tomorrow.

Have you ever felt like the world's biggest idiot?

Thanks for allowing me to get this off my chest.

R. Chandler

I am a subscriber!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yeah, I've done that. I had some nice bass on a rope stringer. I stuffed the pointy end into the ground and they pulled it loose. Now, my wife makes me tie that stuff securely to something.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
One of the best stringers of my entire childhood was securely tied to a rock, full of perch and trout.

The snapping turtle also found it attractive and took it away. \:\(

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Lunker
Lunker
One of the proofs I have that my Grandpa was A Really Nice Guy was the time I unsnapped the wire mesh fishkeep (really nice, IIRC stainless steel) from the oar lock and we watched it slide into the water. He never said a thing.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Theo Gallus:
One of the proofs I have that my Grandpa was A Really Nice Guy was the time I unsnapped the wire mesh fishkeep (really nice, IIRC stainless steel) from the oar lock and we watched it slide into the water. He never said a thing.
This is probably why you've never been able to take responsibility for any of your destructive behaviour.

My Grandfather would have verbally berated me for three or four hours, then would have required me to constuct a new one from used coat hangers.

Just kidding.... ;\)

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Chandalier, I get me a big ol treble hook on some pretty stiff tackle, and criss-cross drag-snag an area bout 30' in all directions of stringer loss. Don't wait till tomorrow. "Have ya ever felt like the worlds biggest idiot" Everyday, but I've got pretty used ta it. Doc Condello, sorry that nasty ol turtle stole yer nice stringer. I can relate tho, as I once had a post bout Groundhog day stole by a different kinda replile. Theo, Grandpaws rock. I think our children pay the price of our learnin how ta be patient, but our grandkids reap the benifits. Fer ALL our kids put us through, guess it's kinda fittin.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Gotta agree with Bruce. Your many character flaws might be directly related to a priveleged and "spare the rod" background.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
As a kid I fished in a ditch and stringered a nice 3" BG. I fished down the ditch, came back to check if my fish had grown and it had....into a catfish. Thought I had the wrong stringer. Later figured I was the only one there. Went back for my catfish...it was a bream again. \:D

Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Condello:
This is probably why you've never been able to take responsibility for any of your destructive behaviour.

My Grandfather would have verbally berated me for three or four hours, then would have required me to constuct a new one from used coat hangers.
That upbringing explains your choice of profession - "Painless" Dentist. :p

If you had ben REALLY good with the coathangers, you would have specialized in Orthodonture! \:D

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
G
G
I was fishing on Lake Texoma a number of years ago with my son – he was fishing a brand new custom rod that I had just made for him, when I hooked a big striper that was giving me quite a battle.

He laid his rod and reel down on the deck of the boat to help me land my fish, when we heard a noise and splash as his new rig went overboard.

Needless to say, the trip home was a long and quite journey.

Early the next morning I headed back to the lake, armed with a metal fish stringer with opened clasps. I cast the stringer into the area we fished and immediately hooked a fishing line – followed by his new rod and reel.

I called my son and reported to him that I had caught his “trophy” and to have it mounted to hang over his fireplace.

Sometimes silence is the best punishment of all.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
While fishing at about 15 I had a wire basket keeper full of BG and a few LMB when I pulled up near the dam to show some friends. I unclipped the basket pulled it up and stood up and there was the biggest copperheaded rattlemoccasin hanging on the basket and down to about my shin. Needless to say the basket went one direction and I went the other and the boat off in another. Strange thing was none of my friends wanted to help look for the basket in about 8 ft. of water. I was real glad my rod and tackle stayed in the boat. \:o

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Here's my two. I was in a little neighborhood tournament about 9 years ago (back when I used to fish) on a lake we manage. I did not want the 6 lb bass holding me down b/c I was in a canoe and wanted to keep it alive. I tied it thru my shoe string to a gazebo. I knew from electrofishing there were bigger ones out there. Well 2 hrs later go back to get it to weigh in and nuthin but a head and skelton remained, picked clean by COndellos turtle. Lesson in greed I would have won $100 with the 6 lb bass.

One of my favorite pictures is of my bald Dad, my grandad and about a 10 ft shark. My Dad had an afro. I mean this thing is flying in the wind about 2 feet to the side. Guess the year?

Anyway they were fishing on a pier and my Mom's Dad hooked into something big. He lost control of the rod and it went flying over the end of the pier. Well my Dad was fishing about 30 mins later when he hooked somethng (you no where this going) and sure nuff it was the rod. Well he pulled it in and then it started tugging. They fought the big shark for awhile before landing it. Just goes to show you "never give up" is true statement.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Dad's hair: I'll guess 1974.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
'74 sounds about right. Artis Gilmore and Doctor 'J' come to mind.

Lunker
Lunker
For various nefarious reasons I'm going later - say, 1978.

-S. M. Stirling
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Dave I have been impressed with your fish knowldedge but never more impressed than now. Yes I was about to turn 4, 1974 is right , got it on first guess. I think I'm glad I missed those hair days.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 06:23 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 05:33 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images