Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,091
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, BillyE, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1), 747 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Well got up Saturday Morning and got started! Filled the Gradall up with $150 worth of diesel and started digging the small pond. The pond is going to be about ½ acre in size and 12 ft deep I have dug on it for 2 days and I am about half done. It’s probably going slow compared to some of you guy’s ponds, but I am a 1-man show! If the rain will hold off until next Sunday I will have it dug!!!

Before:

After Started:

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Tim,

I'd wait until you have some water in it! ;\)

Keep us posted! Welcome to the fraternity of pond meisters!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker
I always like seeing the progress of a new pond in pictures

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Tim,

Nice place! Don't be concerned about how long it takes....just how it turns out. Great job! Show us a picture of your equipment, if you don't mind. You can be an inspiration to other DIY pond people.

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Meadowlark, My equipment is Old but all in good shape. The Gradall is a 1994 model that I bought from the City of Beaumont for $7000 at their auction. It has a 5-foot wide bucket and a 25-foot reach, the bucket hold 7/8 of yard of dirt. By buying it from a Municipality I was able to obtain all the service records since it was purchased new, plus all the manuals.

My dump truck is another story; it is old (1974 model) and rusted out but mechanical in decent shape. Drives and hauls dirt, I cant ask for anything else as it was free. My father gave me the old truck as he has a dump truck service down in Liberty County. He has 3 other newer Kenworth 16 yard trucks that he transports River rock and sand from the Dolen / Rye Texas area mainly to Beaumont area.

My tractor is a 1994 model Mahindria 575 DI with a 5 ft FEL and a 6-foot box blade and brush hog.I bought it from a friend for $4500.The tractor has about 600 hours on it and it is in good shape. The only gripe I have about the tractor is the its India made based on the old International tractor pattens. Which would have been great if the would have stuck stricky to the original pattens, but they put metric sized hydraulic lines on it with British fittings on all the FEL and power steering hoses. Which makes the very difficult to find locally here in east Texas. Parts availability is my only issue with it.

So as you can see from above hauling dirt runs deep in my blood for several years. It is not something I practically like to do, but when you want something bad enough that you can do. You just do it! I started hauling dirt straight out of High school for a couple of years and before. I have chosen a totally different way to make my living, as I am lead tech for Global Voice Operation for the second largest bank in the US. I got as far away from the dirt business as I could. So I am not your typical DIY guy.

As you have read from many other peoples postings here (Eddie Walker’s story comes to mind) to own and operate equipment. You have to be 5/8 mechanic which is probably the least thing I like to do. I was fortunate to have parents that believed with encouragement, and will power, I could do anything I set my mind on doing.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
 Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Stuart:

As you have read from many other peoples postings here (Eddie Walker’s story comes to mind) to own and operate equipment. You have to be 5/8 mechanic which is probably the least thing I like to do.
Tim,

I'm exactly the same way...the equipment is a means to an end. Although I do enjoy turning brush and raw land into a beautiful pond and homeplace, keeping everything running is a chore. Man, gotta love that dump truck! Wish it were mine. It would fit right in with my old dozer!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Equipment is fun to have. My biggest chore is keeping everything maintained and useable. Various equipment that I own has 38 tires and 12 batteries.

Having limited time, I'm at the point of wanting something to work with, not to work on. Of course, I can rarely afford the good stuff that doesn't break down.

In the 25 years that I've owned land, I've had dozer work done 8 or 10 times. All but two of them has had breakdowns of one kind or another. $$$$$$$$$$$$

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Meadowlark, Maybe we could trade out some services?

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Tim,

Sure, that's possible. Finding time is my biggest problem. Clearing 70 acres, building more ponds, and just the normal ranch activities keeps things very busy...and work in the city is getting in the way of the "fun" work.

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Well, I shot some grades today. All I have to say is that looks are very deciving. I thought that I was close by my eyes, Boy was I wrong. It will end up only be 8 ft deep and I have a bunch more digging to do. Building a pond on the side of a hill sure can fool the eyes. I estimate that I am not a 1/4 done on the digging.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Tim,

Been there, done that also. \:\)

Even the pros' eyes can't be trusted. Shoot grade early and as often as needed. Don't trust the eyes on our rolling East Texas land.

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Well Folks, I have made some real good progress on this pond this past weekend. I did not work hard just at a steady pace. I have included pictures of the progress.

Than on Sunday about noontime it hit me: While I was eating lunch, “Why I had always hated the dirt business “ A tire blew!!! While the Gradall was parked and nobody near it! That had brought back some memories: Work hard all week to get a decent paycheck, than have to spend it on tires! This one is going to be expensive!!!!

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Well guys Its been a year. I have spent a lot of time on the dozer ,Gradall and in the dump truck. I thought I would show you guys some updated pictures. I have a brick layer going to lay a cinder block wall about 5' high down the right side of my house and wrap around the back side of my dam. Once that is complete I will do my finish grade and seed everything with rye grass.
Before

After

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Well Tim...there ya go. She's a beaut!
You guys that do your own excavation as a DIY project are in a premier class all to your own. I would consider you to be a card-carrying member.
-

When all is complete and filled in with water and grass, your spectacular vista will be postcard worthy. Congrats!

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Very nice lookin pond.

You have the world at your fingertips
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Tim are fish next or are they alrady in their new home ?

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Ewest, No fish in it yet. I have been waiting for about 2' more of water.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
uh oh....not even FH's? wait til Burger Sunmeister Forage Supply Co hears this one!

Lunker
Lunker
Not to mention the Jaegerwald Milk, Minnow, and Spice Company.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Tim:

You should be very proud of your accomplishments.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday