Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 933 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
I just purchased a piece of land and it seems it lays out to make a great place for a good pond. The problem is I don't have very much money left for construction of the pond. Should I continue to try to make one anyway? Is it possible to build one myself without spending a lot of money? Is there a place I can read something like "ponds on a budget"? The topo is below and I would love to hear some feedback on everyone's thoughts. Thanks so much. This forum is great.

Allen

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome.

Where are you located?

Is that your tract outlined in red?

What is the scale?

Do you know how to run heavy machinery?

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
This is just north of Burnet, Texas. Yes the tract is outlined in red. I got the topo from terraserver.microsoft.com and it's 100 feet between lines and looks like 1 inch equals 300 yards.

I don't know how to run heavy machinery but I'm sure I can learn how to quickly. What makes me nervous is building it incorrectly and having serious problems later. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your time.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...where there is a will, there is a way. Oh yeah, and necessity is the mother of invention.
Welcome to the PB show, Ashannon. At first glance, it sure looks like a pond-able site. The intermittent stream proves out decent watershed. The two smaller ponds above you are a good sign. The only immediate thought I have is that as you near the bottom of the watershed, you may start running into soils that will be hydrologically considered wetland soils. This would create a government problem IF it is the case. If not, fire up your new/used dozer. You will get good support as a DIY guy. There is a good collection of the same on this forum. Personally, I considered it...looked at my project size and logistics, and nixed it. Now I have a very happy loan officer (and likely contractor, also).
You are in the company of alot of homeys from Texas, so there will be good knowledge of the rules of the road. How much homework have you already done? Talked with the NRCS office? Have you entertained any bids from local, successful pond builders yet (do so, listen and learn...bids cost nothing. You don't have to hire anybody...or...who knows, you may).
(edit) ...and get a hard copy of the USDA Publication 590 for your library. Here is a link to the on-line version Pub 590 link

A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
This USDA publication is great. I'll get through that and see where I'm at. I haven't talked to anyone yet but it does sound like a good idea. I believe my biggest problem is going to be affording the bulldozer but I'm going to shop around and see the price range. Are there any ones to stay away from? Where is the best place to look for one? One would be nice anyway to clear all the cedar.

Thanks so much for your help.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
ashannon,

I bought mine from a local tractor dealer whom I had asked to find me one. In my area, every now and then, I will see one for sale along side the road...for example there is currently a D5 for sale right now just a few miles away for $30k which I have been looking at.

My dozer is a CASE and I have been told that the CAT are probably better overall but also much higher when it comes to repair parts.

Unless you are very knowledgable on dozers, I would recommend that you find a very experienced mechanical person to evaluate any prospective dozer before purchase. Under carriage is very expensive to rebuild, much more than most engine/transmission repairs.

Running a dozer is great fun. Most folks can become a "driver" pretty quickly, but becoming an "operator" is something else again. My friends like to say the difference between a dozer driver and operator is that an operator will leave zero marks on two identical pushes side by side...a driver leaves ridges and marks and sometimes holes.

After two fun and productive years with my CASE, I'm still a driver, but getting better. \:\)

A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
Thanks for the info meadowlark. It sounds like you're really enjoying it. What is the range that I can expect to spend on a dozer even if it's lowend and a smaller one? Is there any where else that would be good to look for a used one?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...if I might interject another link to consider. The DIY heavy equipment dirt stuff is outta my league, but reading stories and insight from the guys that do have dirt in their teeth BY CHOICE is kinda cool: Movin\' dirt thread

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
 Quote:
Originally posted by ashannon:
What is the range that I can expect to spend on a dozer even if it's lowend and a smaller one? Is there any where else that would be good to look for a used one?
ashannon,

My Case 450 is about as small as you can realistically build a pond with...too small according to some. It is a fabulous ranch/property dozer, just perfect. To build a pond with it, however, is a time consuming affair.

You can find good ones in that size as low as I paid which was $13,000 and you can find better ones that go on up in price. I've seen several in the low twenties. If you "buy it right", you most definitely can resell at or above your original price.

$13,000 may sound like a lot of money, but ponds in my area are going for $10,000 per acre...and at that price, it does not take much of a pond to pay for the cost of the dozer.

If you get into a large pond project, you can always hire a track-hoe, dump truck, a loader, and/or sheepsfoot to move and compact large quantities of dirt in a short time.

There are online sellers of heavy equipment, but I'm not that brave. I want to look the owner/seller in the eyes and ask questions if I'm investing that kind of money. I can't emphasize enough the need to get an expert to help you evaluate prospective buys if you are not well versed in dozers. They are nothing like anything else I've ever owned. Getting expert help on the purchase was the best thing I did and it saved me a bunch of money and tribulations.

It isn't easy to DIY, but then nothing in life that I have found to be satisfying and worthwhile is ever easy. If you build it yourself, believe me, you will appreciate and take care of it.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
ashannon - First welcome to the site. We have a pond, not too far from you,just north of Goldthwaite. I am familiar, somewhat, with the area you are planning to put the pond. I am by no means an expert on anything, but knowing the terrain around Burnet I would highly recommend getting soil samples and info from someone very knowledgable about dirt work in your area. I know, like where we are, it can be rocky around there. I like a guy who isn't afraid to tackle a project, just do it with as much knowledge and research as you can before you start. You can check ebay for all types of heavy equipment. They usually give pretty good details of problems the equipment has. It will at least give you some good ideas what defects to look for in a piece of used equipment.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy