Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 284 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
My neighbor's pond is 0.3 acre #9(1/4") crushed limestone for a beach material and golf ball sized stone lining the banks down to 3 ft deep. Just SMB in that pond. Good zooplankton numbers. NO forage fish. He gets some YOY SMB produced each year.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Attack of the Sunil smallies!!!

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Wow the markings on those fish really stand out don't they! I'm still finding dead ones and some with fugus on them in my pond. I've got a few hanging around the shallow water which is not a good sign. Hope there are more that are fine for Sunil.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker
What's the upper limit on water temp for Smallmouth survival?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Theo,

According to this source it's lethal limit is 95 F. I'm skeptical. Sounds pretty high to me for smallmouth.

http://aquanic.org/publicat/state/il-in/as-508.htm

Interestingly I do know a few years ago the IN Fisherman magazine had an article that stated the smallmouth being a cool water fish may be a misnomer. The theory is that the reason one finds them in deeper cooler waters than largemouth is they may not be able to compete with largemouth in the shallower warmer waters and are pushed deeper. I swear I remember reading an article in one of the first Pond Boss magazines that quotes a grower in the south saying they did just fine in 80 plus degree water.

Believe it or not they are calling the northern largemouth bass now a cool water fish now in aquaculture circles.

I had a grower tell me his smallmouth are the first to go off feed in the fall and the last to start up again. Odd for a fish that is supposed to want cooler water.

I rarely catch smallmouth bass icefishing in my pond but routinely catch largemouths.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Cecil Baird1:
Wow the markings on those fish really stand out don't they!
That's the taxidermist/artist in you. ;\)

Some of the best smallie mounts I've ever seen were almost a little "over the top" when it came to painting those vertical bands. Beautiful, beautiful fish.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Here is the one I like from the Classic. Remember these SMB are smart -- they won the spelling bee against the Hollywood crowd.

Or this one:

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Bruce,
Was it necessary to post that pic????
Now I can't open this post without turning green! :rolleyes:
You're right. Beautiful fish! And I'm gona grow some too!

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
These pics are from June '05. The large broodstock smallies went in to my pond in April '05 (I checked my records).

This is me:

This is my buddy, Dave:

These are two different smallies (the one on the left looks like an easy 5lbs):

I did not have a scale with me, but the Smallie in the second picture looks like a 5 pounder.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Nice fish Sunil, & looks like a nice pond too!

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Sunil, June with windbreakers. And you get the first PB mag. Man am I jealous. Nice fish. Spawning in June?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My post that got lost earlier today was a rare combination of literary genius and biting wit. It was essentially Tolstoy meets Hunter S. Thompson. The reviews were coming in from coast to coast. Some were saying that it was one of the most insightful commentaries ever into the psyche of the smallmouth bass. I was preparing to sign a contract for the movie rights when BANG!, away it went, into the great heap of discarded 1's and 0's that make up our collective international trash bin. You could almost feel the air being sucked out of the universe. Alas, I've decided to recreate the post to the best of my ability. It went something like this.

"Smallies blah, blah, blah. (commentary on LMB vs. SMB) More blah, blah, blah. Oughta ask Willis something...yada, yada, yada. Then I interjected with something...can't remember what, but it had to do with Robinson's something or other that he said, and how I agreed with it and all, but maybe the smaller smallies and the bigger largies couldn't coexist, something, something, something".

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Condello:
My post that got lost earlier today was a rare combination of literary genius and biting wit. It was essentially Tolstoy meets Hunter S. Thompson. The reviews were coming in from coast to coast. Some were saying that it was one of the most insightful commentaries ever into the psyche of the smallmouth bass. I was preparing to sign a contract for the movie rights when BANG!, away it went, into the great heap of discarded 1's and 0's that make up our collective international trash bin. You could almost feel the air being sucked out of the universe. Alas, I've decided to recreate the post to the best of my ability. It went something like this.

"Smallies blah, blah, blah. (commentary on LMB vs. SMB) More blah, blah, blah. Oughta ask Willis something...yada, yada, yada. Then I interjected with something...can't remember what, but it had to do with Robinson's something or other that he said, and how I agreed with it and all, but maybe the smaller smallies and the bigger largies couldn't coexist, something, something, something".
The problem was your post was classified material and it was a security risk to put it on the Internet.

Using the world smallmouth and another one together is a code word for a future military operation. The whole post was instantly deleted for that reason.

I think it was these two words together:

smallmouth 01010101010101

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yeah Bruce, that's how my rare flashes of brilliance usually go. Forgot to hit "Add Reply".

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
Bruce:

It was a great loss to civilization. A sure-thing Nobel Prize for literature, disappearing in a puff of electrons. Unborn generations will weep incessantly and uncontrollably at the loss. A handful of lucky Pondmeisters will be able to tell their grandchildren "I once saw the greatest forum post in the history of the Internet, before it vanished for all time."

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
The moderator got moderated. \:D

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Wow - Sunil, those may be the most beautiful smallies I have ever seen. Congrats!!!

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Cecil Baird1:
Actually using the world smallmouth and another one together is a code word for a future military operation. The whole post was instantly deleted for that reason.
[/QB]
I hadn't thought of that. You're right.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Somewhere there's a Little Janie's Cake Bakeing forum with a profound post by someone named Bruce Condello that's got all the ladies scratching their heads.

Ric
Lunker
Lunker
LOL! \:D

-S. M. Stirling
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Cmon guys, if Mr Condomello was moderated, it was by him after a HUGE dose of the gas. Or, was it actually just punishment fer hyjackin my GH post? Also, Sunil, be carefull posting those pics. I know the travel route when ya get Cecils smallies. Bob-O

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ric Swaim:
Somewhere there's a Little Janie's Cake Bakeing forum with a profound post by someone named Bruce Condello that's got all the ladies scratching their heads.
ROFLMAO!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I think Bruce really posted that profound commentary at KoiPond.com, and he knows it.

Great post, Ric!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Ric :

Ye made me fall offa my stool and break me bones again. Bloody William Kidd \:D

M
M
I own a 6 acre pond in nothern New Hampshire. The pond is not deep,maybe 10 ft at its deepest avrg depth maybe 5 feet. its spring fed with an additional small brook that empties into it. I get about 50 gal/min ave throughout the year. 4 years ago i stocked 140 redbreasts into the pond that before that had no fish in it. (ive owned the pond for 12 years) The pond has a sandy gravely bottom on 30 % of the bottom. The sunfish reproduced and are thriving. 2 years ago i put in 20 smallmouth @6-8 inches. They spawned 2 years ago the fish are doing great surviving and growing fast

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??