Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (Bill Cody, Fishingadventure, catscratch, araudy, FishinRod, Boondoggle, JabariStokes), 1,563 guests, and 514 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#6416 04/27/07 01:57 PM
T
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
T
I have heard that some counties in Texas offer a cost share programs to help build ponds. Is this true ?

Thanks

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Yes, some are even 100% certain rules apply, there are several levels or programs. The more they pay the more resrictions and length of time you are bound to the agreements. No big deal just maintanance agreement etc. For the 100% one you can't sale the property for 10 years or you have to pay the cost back to the state. I think it depends on your watershed. They have build several ponds in my area in hill county. Some are Aquilla water shed some are Richland Chambers. Eroison control programs to protect the water shed is my understanding. Check with you NRCS Agent. And don't take no for an answer. Some of us have been thru this. Keep hounded them eventaully they will talk. If they don't call the state level they can give you all the info. I was told to come to the nrcs office in the month November because that's when the state gives out the funds for these programs.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Counties don't do it. The NRCS (Feds) have or at least have had the program(s). The last talk I had with them, they told me that they were "de-emphasizing" pond building.

The way it worked for me: Make application and they will visit your place. Erosion control and wildlife management get you points to total your score. Food plots, bird houses, brush piles, etc. all figure into your score. If your score is high enough and program money is available, they will do a cost share. They will do an annual visit after the Guv $ is spent, mostly to fill out their paperwork. If you sell within a certain period of time, you have to pay back the $. In my case, it was 5 years.

Check with them at your county to see what programs are available to get the ball rolling.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I visited with a couple NRCS agents a few weeks ago and they told me that a big focus right now for them is pasture conditions. Could the widespread droughts be responsible? On a brighter note...Texas is finally breaking through its drought.

"Our Life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, Simplify" -Henry David Thoreau -
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Just checked into this in Kendall County last month and they said they no longer do it.

Billy Klemstein
T
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
T
Thanks for all info on this programs. I have looked at the NRCS Web site a few times and found it a bit confusing, however I did e-mail them a few months ago asking about these programs but no one ever e-mailed me back. I do have a few more questions if anyone know the answers. Do you have to have some agriculture on the land you want to apply for the program? I do have cows on the land but they are not mine. A man leases the land for his cattle.

Also for the ones who have gone through this program, is water shed program the one meant for erosion control?

Thanks again to every one.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
"Also for the ones who have gone through this program, is water shed program the one meant for erosion control?" YES

That is what the NRCS program in my area is.
They also have programs for cost share on livestock ponds. My neighbor had one built about 3 years ago. And by the way I was told twice from a NRCS Agent that they don't do that anymore. Once in person and once on the phone. Only after I talked with locals that had ponds built recently to find out what contractor they used and I ask what it cost and they both replied I don't know the NRCS paid for it that I got wise. When I called a third time and the agent started telling me they don't do that anymore and I flat out told the guy he was full of it and named 2 ponds built within the last couple of years that he finally come clean and said well you have to come in november and sign up cause that is when we get the money for these programs. Like I said this has been said before in other treads demand to talk to the superviser if need be and if that don't work call the state office.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
R
Lunker
Lunker
R

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
That's why I wish they would do away with it altogether. Why should I have to help pay for pork handouts for people who live in states with a strong ag lobby? If you want a pond, pay for it yourself. As rockytopper just explained, the money is doled out to friends and relatives. That's the inherent evil in this type of government waste. Maybe I should get some stock and overgraze my watershed, then other people could have paid for my pond, and I wouldn't have had to build and pay for it myself. Guess that's the price I pay for trying to be a good land steward.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
 Quote:
Originally posted by TN Hillbilly:
That's why I wish they would do away with it altogether. Why should I have to help pay for pork handouts for people who live in states with a strong ag lobby? If you want a pond, pay for it yourself. As rockytopper just explained, the money is doled out to friends and relatives. That's the inherent evil in this type of government waste. Maybe I should get some stock and overgraze my watershed, then other people could have paid for my pond, and I wouldn't have had to build and pay for it myself. Guess that's the price I pay for trying to be a good land steward.
I'll have to say, I wholeheartedly agree. Sweat off my brow, in several lines of work, and borrowed money paid for mine.

I want my, I want my MTV..........."Money for nothing.........and the checks are FREE........."

Robinson, PI (Politically Incorrect, of Course)
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Honestly, with water rights/watershed the way they are today, just be thankful "if" you can still build a pond ! "Big Water" is worth it's weight in Gold (almost). I don't care if programs are available or not, I do not want monitoring or regulations telling me what I can or can't do. I'm building again from my own pocket, because I know the value my first pond provided me with...and that was built in 2003 and now sold. I'm in the process of building again on my new property...looking to improve once again. Let the Dozer roll...I can almost smell the earth \:\)

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I feel the same way.I built mine by myself and paid for it.The gov can kiss my ... and stay off my land.Its mine,I bought,paid,built sweated over it and ill do what I .... well please with it.period Ill bet this thread gets some attitudes would up pretty quick ha ha ha

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM