Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (anthropic, esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 706 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
#64054 01/14/07 01:51 PM
E
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
I have three main ways for water to enter my lake.

The first culvert is 15 inches, and as of right now, is handling the bulk of the water. My thinking this is because I've cleared most of the land above it and this is causing more water to runoff.

My next culvert is 18 inches and it's not getting as much water through it. It has twice the number of acres for watershed, but it's just not happening. I expect this to change quite a bit when I finish clearing my land and shaping the dirt.

The third entry for water is through an open trench that runs along the border of my land. It will pull some watershed off my land, but it will pull dozens and dozens of acres off my neighbors land. Or at least, that's the plan.

You can also see my shoreline road in the above picture. This is what stops the water from runnign directly into the lake. When the runoff hits the road, it then follows along the road to one of the culverts.

Thanks,
Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
#64055 01/14/07 01:59 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Unbelieveable progress! Congrats, Eddie...it really is something to see. Did you ever do a final analysis to pinpoint the total amount of drainage you receive?

#64056 01/14/07 04:55 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Time to stick another yardstick in shallower water!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
#64057 01/15/07 02:08 PM
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
truly a great thought- and entirely zen like- referencing Meadowlarks quote above- the sight of the first water cresting the spillway for the first time - like being 12 or 13
and discovering womanhood for the first time. I awoke Saturday morning and at daylight I could see my first pond about to top the dam --- but then the newly installed spillway kicked in and water cascaded over it into a newly renovated channel about 8 feet deep about 200 feet long- extending to a second spillway entering a newly created 3/4 acre pond and I got to see that spillway in action - just as envisioned and I continued watching (in the pouring rain) in amazement as the new pond filled to capacity and the auxilliary and emergency spillways kicked into action and handled 5 inches of water in about 3 hours---it was truly an amazing sight!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO I witnessed four virgin spillways handle an enormous volume of water- and I pray we do not get five inches or even three any time soon.

I began my pond journey in the spring of 05, starting construction of a chain of ponds. An existing pond in close proximity of my backyard, about an acre in size, elyptical in shape 14 feet deep when full- I renovated its spillway and created a channel leading to the new pond.

All of the done (I might add) with a tractor that Mr Meadowlark "doubted would even dig the core trench".

So the new pond was completed in fall of 05 and remained dry until 6am 01-13-07 and was full and overflowing in three hours- WHAT A THRILL!!!

what do I stock it with??

#64058 01/15/07 02:20 PM
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Looking fantastic Eddie! Might have to borrow your yardstick idea, my little pond is less than 2' away from being full now too.

#64059 01/15/07 02:32 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Seashores, I'm so happy for you and everyone making great progress. I'm certain it is a great feeling.

On the other hand, the system which just hit Texas and Arkansas and Kentucky missed me. I had been watching that system, almost hourly for a week prior to it developing. I've never been one to wish away time, but I was wishing away time expecting heavy rains. They missed us. I can not describe it, but for someone who's dam has been completed for almost 2 years, I can only explain it as the agony of defeat. I know it's not a good comparison, but it's like losing a big game, or something.

Oh well. Good things come to those that wait. Congrats to all who got big rains recently.

Robinson, PI (Politically Incorrect, of Course)
#64060 01/15/07 04:31 PM
E
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
Well the system seems to be about over. In two and a hald days, I receieved 6 7/8's inches of rain in my guage. I put that yard stick in just in time, as you can see, I'm now about 4 1/2 inches from being full.

There is now two feet more of water in the lake than I had just three days ago!!!

And I still have plenty of freeboard above the water. This was a big concern. I used the lazer, took lots of measurments, but to be honest, I've always doubted that I did it right. This is the biggest thing I've ever built, so the scale of it was a little overwhelming. Including determinining where the water height will be on the dam.

Thanks,
Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
#64061 01/15/07 04:39 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Eddie, in two days you received almost 7 inches of rain. Is that typical for you area? How often does this type of rainfall occur? A few times a year? A few times a decade? Or is that an exceptional amount?

Congrats. Lake looks great. Can't wait to see it when the color changes to green.

#64062 01/15/07 06:13 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm thoroughly impressed.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
#64063 01/15/07 07:46 PM
R
R
Looking good Eddie! You guys are going to have a fantastic site. We passed through your area last week on the way to a jobsite, I saw the entrance. The next time I know I'll be in your area I'll give ya a pm, would like to see your place in person.
We had almost seven inches here at Sundowner! Our sixty acre lake has come from almost two foot low, to running through the spillway as of 4:30 this afternoon.

#64064 01/16/07 09:49 AM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
It looks awesome Eddie, how much surface area did it end up being, it looks huge in the photo's. Congrats on a job well done.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
#64065 01/16/07 09:55 AM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
 Quote:
Originally posted by Robinson:
Eddie, in two days you received almost 7 inches of rain. Is that typical for you area? How often does this type of rainfall occur? A few times a year? A few times a decade? Or is that an exceptional amount?

Robinson,

I'm south of Eddie in an area that tends to get somewhat higher annual rainfall than Eddie's. A 7 inch rain is certainly not unusual around here. In a normal year, whatever that is, we could expect two or three such happenings. This winter, for example, we received an 11.5 inch rain, a 6 inch rain and the recent 5 inches. A few years back, we received over 30 inches spread over a 4 day period...that would be considered unusual, but not a 7 inch rain. East Texas, especially along the H59 corridor flowing northeast from the Gulf, has to be one of the best areas for ponds anywhere, from a rainfall standpoint(except for the last two summers).

#64066 01/16/07 11:53 AM
E
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
Robinson,

Like ML said, we get quite a bit of rain here in East Texas. I'm quite a bit North of him and don't get as much, nor as heavy as he does. An average year for rain here is just under 4 feet. The last two years we've been under three feet.

Rains of 2 to 3 inches in a day are not uncommon at all, but storms like that usually blow through pretty fast. This one stayed for awhile and droped allot of water. It didn't set any records, but it's more than we normally get. When building roads and drainage, we have to expect and plan for these types of storms.

Even then, the city and county roads are washed out all over the place. The news had several roads that no longer exist, or have 6 foot holes in them.

When Hurricane Rita came through, we were predicted to get 22 inches of rain from it. But I'm 200 miles from the coast and Rita didn't have much left of her when she got here. I think we ended up with just 2 inches of rain when it happened.

I've never experienced anything like what ML has. That would really cause some serious problems and damage!!!!!!!!

Bruce,

Thank you.

Rich,

I'd enjoy showing you around. Maybe you'll give me some pointers or ideas that I hadn't considered. I know that when Meadowlard was here, he gave me all sorts of ideas!!!!

Rockytopper,

I haven't done any final measurements with the water in it, but did do them when I finished the dam based on the locasion of my flags on the dam. It looks like I got it right as the water level is right around 4 to 5 inches from the flags, which is what I'm guessing the water is down at the spillway.

My measurements then put me at 4.3 acres. I had originally thought I'd have a five acre lake, but got carried away on the size of the dam. Now that it's done, and I've made it through that last storm without any damage or erosion, I'm glad the dam is as thick as it is!!!!

Meadowlark,

When you had 30 inches in four days, was that when Lufkin and all those cities flooded so bad? I just couldn't imagine what that must have been like.

Now that I'm almost full, I'm dying to go see our buddy Bob and start stocking. Two more months and the weather should change!!!!

Thanks,
Eddie

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
#64067 01/16/07 01:33 PM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
 Quote:
Originally posted by eddie_walker:

Meadowlark,

When you had 30 inches in four days, was that when Lufkin and all those cities flooded so bad? I just couldn't imagine what that must have been like.

Now that I'm almost full, I'm dying to go see our buddy Bob and start stocking. Two more months and the weather should change!!!!

Thanks,
Eddie
Eddie,

During that particular rain event I was in Houston and Houston actually got more...about 36 inches. Polk County was declared a disaster area because a lot of the roads washed out, but other than that, it didn't cause much damage. No damage at the ranch at all.

But if you really want to talk rain...at our former house in Clear Lake one memorable rain event dropped 48 inches in 24 hours at the Alvin weather station just down the road from us. Needless to say, that caused extensive damage. That's a lot of rain....even for Texas!

#64068 01/16/07 03:33 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Thanks ML and Eddie. That does sound ideal, especially in Houston. That Gulf seems to really pump in the rain. We get it after it has weakened in TN, sometimes it's still strong though.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Thanks again.

#64069 01/16/07 11:10 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Eddie looks like you have done a great job. I would have never known this was the biggest thing you have built if you had not said so. I live in KY and we missed alot of the rain, I think we only got about 2 inches over 3 or four days. I didn't need the extra water, I am afraid my 8 inch pipe is gonna be to small if we get gully washer when it's at full pool. I am thinking of addding some dirt to raise the top a little. How much freeboard (in feet) will you have once you reach full pool?

Donnie

1 Acre pond in Central KY
CNBG or BG?,CC,& LMB
#64070 01/17/07 12:32 AM
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Eddie, it's not too late for seeding rye grass on all the bare ground to reduce erosion material into the pond. You'll also have a hard time getting your permanent grass started this spring after all the topsoil has run off into the water only leaving hard clay. It made a big differance on my pond site.

Pond Boss subscriber ever since I joined the forum. Thanks Bob!
#64071 01/17/07 08:04 AM
E
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
Meadowlark,

Four feet of rain in one day is just beyond my comprehension. If that happened here, the damage would be catastrophic!!!

Robinson,

I'm no expert on this, but we get our weather from the Pacific across Mexico in winter, then when it's warm out, the storms come from the Gulf. The Pacific storms are more of the big fronts that come across the country and dump water or snow on everyone. The Gulf storms usually come out of nowhere in the afternoon or at night and dump lots of water vere quickly, then they are gone. Those storms are also the most incorectly predicted by the weatherpeople.

Donnie,

I've built a few goldfish ornamental ponds for clients and smaller dirt ponds up to an acre, but nothing like this. I started it as a project to work on when I had the time weather allowed. As I progressed, I modified my plan and scale. I was hoping to get six feet of depth at the deep end and was unsure if I could get 4 feet through the rest of it. The drought really helped me out and for two years, I had perfect conditions for digging. I just kept digging until I had 12 feet of depth at the deepest end with 10 feet in over an acre and 8 feet for the most part over the rest of the lake.

This is something I could never afford to have done, but with my own equipment, and lots of time, I was able to come up with what you see.

As for freeboard, there is 3 feet of dirt above the water line when it's full. I might add another few inches just to smooth it out and give myself a rounder crown. I'm also makeing the dam thicker in one area to create a large picnic area that will be at the same height as the dam. I want this big flat area to be like a nice lawn with a view of the pond, the creek and in the trees. An added benifit of this is that I have massive amounts of dirt that I need to put somewhere, and this works out perfectly for me.

At water line, my dam is close to two dozer blades wide, or 20 feet. At the top of the dam, it's still over ten feet wide.

Family,

Your right, I've been thinking about putting some rye out. The weather is so crazy right now that the schools are closing because of snow and sleet. I'm not sure what temps rye grass needs to grow, but I'm kinda sure the ground shouldn't be frozen. Our high temps the last three days has been in the low 30's.

Thank you,
Eddie

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
#64072 01/17/07 09:05 AM
Lunker
Lunker
Even if you sow it when it's frozen, it will likely sprout after it warms up a little.

------------

Quote:
The drought really helped me out and for two years, I had perfect conditions for digging.
That's a lot of time you spent making lemonade, Eddie, and it shows. Kudos to your persistence and optimization of the situation.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
#64073 01/17/07 09:11 AM
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Eddie,

Its looking good.

I went back last night and read through your post again from the begining. It is quite a story you have. From the first picture of you on the dozer to the picture of your pond almost full - is quite a jump! Great story.

Gator

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

#64074 01/17/07 05:31 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by Alligator:
Eddie,

Its looking good.

I went back last night and read through your post again from the begining. It is quite a story you have. From the first picture of you on the dozer to the picture of your pond almost full - is quite a jump! Great story.

Gator
How long did it take to read from start to finish.

To Dam or not to dam

That isn't even a question
#64075 01/25/07 02:06 PM
A
AJS Offline
A
Eddie, first of all I love reading your progress. Every time I come to the site I look for an update, great job! I do have a question. When and what are you stocking in your pond? you may have already answered this but I was curious since you have filled your pond up so quickly I know the sooner you get fish in there the better chance you have to keep undesirable fish out. just wondering AJS

#64076 01/25/07 06:20 PM
H
H
Eddie,

Your project is amazing, inspiring, and humbling all at the same time. Congrats on every aspect.

Joe

#64077 01/26/07 10:19 AM
E
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
AJS,

My stocking plans are pretty basic. I'm not really into fishing, but my wife and kids are.

My plan is to wait for the weather to warm up enough to for the fathead minnows to be able to spawn. From talking to my local fish supplier, Tyler Fish Farms, that should be the beginning of March.

I'm going to start with fathead minnows and coppernose bluegill. Then about two months later, I'll put in the channel catfish. Sometime in June or July, I'll put in my bass.

I'm leaning towards the cross between the florida and northern bass.

Whant I'm unsure about is if there is any advantage to putting in talipia this year, or waiting until next year whent the bass are already established and can take advantage of them.

Joe,

Thank you.

Eddie

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
#64078 02/04/07 02:40 PM
E
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
It's been three weeks since the big storm that brought me withing 4 1/2 inches of being full. Today I'm 7 1/2 inches down. It's rained twice, but not enough to have any real runnoff. Just slow soakers that might be close to an inch total.

Adding that inch to the equation, I've lost 4 inches of water in three weeks. Is this allot? I'm always fearful that I might have a leak, so that's my first concern.

Anybody know how much evaporation would be normal in cold weather? Average temps are in the 30-40's with a few days like today in the 60's. Winds are light, but have been fairly constant at less then 10 mph.

Over at tractorbynet, it's been suggested that the lake bottom will compress from the weight of the water and until it settles itself out, I should expect the water levels to drop. It's normal for new ponds. Anybody heard this before?

On a more exiting note, the pond is attracting wildlife. The birds are just amazing and the wild hogs use the dam as a freeway. Tracks are all over the place!!!

But after owning the land for over 4 years and living here for 2 1/2 years, I've never seen a decent buck. In fact, it's rare to even see a deer here.

This picture was taken from a tree along the edge of my dam facing away for the lake. The deer have just crossed the creek and are headed to the lake!!

Eddie

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails