Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,984
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,535
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
6 members (Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Bigtrh24, FireIsHot, Dave Davidson1, jmartin), 1,233 guests, and 362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
My brother-in-law has property in McLennan County (near Waco, TX). He's looking for someone that can electroshock his 10-12 acre lake and give him a solid management plan. I gave him the number to Todd at Overton, but he wants to know if there are any other reputable services that are a little closer to Waco. Any suggestions?

By the way, we've fished it 3 times in a week and taken out approximately 70 fish. Average size is 12". Largest is 16" @ 2lbs. My guess is that he needs to put in a couple truck loads of forage and keep culling bass. He just doesn't know what quantity of forage fish to put in until he gets it shocked. Amazingly, the lake is still circled with filametous algae in January. There's a lot of cattle around the lake. With the warm temps and manure feeding the growth, it never had a chance to die off. I told him to put Tilapia in there this spring to fight the algae. What rate should you stock them and what size for this situation?

I told him it would cost around $1,000 to $1,500 to electroshock. Is that accurate?

0.6 acre pond / 13' max depth / Bonham, TX
P
P
Here is a link to the availability list of Texas Aquaculture Association. The right hand columns has services they provide including electroshock.

http://www.texasaquaculture.org/id86.htm

Please no more rain for a month! :|
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Jimmy, I'm guessing that the $1K to $1.5K is a little light on the shocking, but that's just a guess.

Do you think that a sound recommendation would be to continue culling up to the removal of 500 or 1,000 skinny LMB, before adding forage or shocking?

I would think the electroshock survey would just confirm what you already know - overcrowding, stunted LMB population.

Granted there could be all kinds of other species in there.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I would pass on the electro-shocking. Fish, fish, fish and keep detailed records. Cull anything that is under 14". Increase and diversify your forage you will get your bass going in the right direction. Make sure you stock forage that is large enough not to become a quick snack but have chances to spawn. How is cover or structure in your pond?

J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
The reason I'm thinking an electroshock would be helpful is because he'd like to begin a healthy management program for the lake and the lake wasn't stocked by the typical suggested standards. I don't know if he needs 4,000 feeder fish or 40,000. It would be a mistake to put more fish in the lake than it can support; and it would be a waste of money to put too few feeder fish in there, especially if they're not the right size.

It would also be helpful to know what the varied depths and underwater structures are. In my mind, having a clear plan would set him on the quickest and smartest path to having a healthier fishery with some nice 8 pound LMB's being caught sooner rather than later.

I noticed on the link above that Overton Fishery doesn't have tilapia. Anyone know if that is going to change in the future?

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
We are only about 60 miles East of Waco, and we provide services in McLennon County. I'd be glad to provide references in that area if you like. Cost for this service is half of what you predicted.

It's ALL about the fish!
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Jimmy,

We raise and overwinter our own tilapia. If it is not listed this way on the availability list then it is their fault and our problem to deal with. We have a good stock of tilapia and expect to be able to handle all spring orders. Toll free number is 1-866-347-4327

Thanks

It's ALL about the fish!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Jimmy :

The electroshock/mgt. will do things (or at least help). One it will give you a third party experts advice and let you see the same info as it occurs (if you watch). Second if you are sure you have to many LMB (or if the survey shows that as you first start) you can use the electroshock boat as a tool to remove a bunch of LMB. It is a very good fishing tool and it does not remove just the fish which are most likely to bite and it allows you to be selective as to which you remove.

There are other ways in addition to fishing to get an accurate survey of population dynamics but they take time and effort. If you want to go over them just repost. Keep in mind that creel (fishing) surveys are not always an accurate method , when used by themselves, to tell the status of a pond. They are one tool to be used with others to get the whole picture.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
I checked out the availability list. We are listed for Mozambique Tilapia but not food fish. It is difficult to read with an internet browser.

It's ALL about the fish!
J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Great info, thanks guys.

Todd, I've informed my brother-in-law about the fee for the electro shock and all the advantages. He should be calling you all this week. His name is Cam. It's good to know you guys carry the Tilapia. He'll need some for sure. I'll eventually need some in my pond. Can I get some in Bonham, TX (Fannin County)?

Ewest, I've never considered the advantage of culling fish during an electroshock, but that makes perfect sense! Thanks for the tip!

J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Anyone have an answer to the question about stocking rates for tilapia per acre? Will they spawn at anytime from the spring to winter?

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Jimmy,

We recommend a stocking rate of 10 lbs per acre in most cases for bass forage, but sometimes more for control of algae. They will spawn as long as water temps are above 70. We can bring some fish to Bonham, because we have several customers in that area who have ordered tilapia. There is a wealth of information about tilapia as bass forage. See: http://www.overtonfisheries.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/0304a.pdf

It's ALL about the fish!
J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Thanks Todd. I'll give you guys a call when my pond is ready for them. I appreciate your help!

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Just for reference, there are several people who advertise in Pond Boss who also provide excellent services, as does Todd. I know all of them, and they are all reputable. Todd spends a lot of time on our site, and the others don't. Consequently, Todd outhustles the other guys. But, as editor of the magazine, I would be remiss to our advertisers to leave them out. If you don't subscribe to the magazine, please do it. You miss a lot without the magazine. It's what funds this website, plus lots of information you won't see here.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Bob, you are a good businessman to mention the other advertisers in the magazine. I do subscribe to the publication and enjoy it very much.

I've actually suggested to a company called Keeton Industries in Colorado to look into advertising with you guys. They sold me a solar aeration system.

Overton is good for my brother-in-law because they are close to his ranch. I know there are many others that would be just as good though.

Keep up the excellent work!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
posted by Jimmy Wheels: I've actually suggested to a company called Keeton Industries in Colorado to look into advertising with you guys. They sold me a solar aeration system.

Jimmy, I would be interested in any info you can provide on the solar aerator, such as make/type of compressor, amps, solar panel watts, etc; unless you had them set it up and dont know. Please let us know about the performance. Maybe not using it yet?

J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
burgermeister,

I haven't set the system up yet, but here are some specs from there website:

http://www.keetonaqua.com/products.asp?product=SB-1

I'll get it up and running before the spring, so I'll post more info later.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Thanks, Jimmy. I did see that they have more info on their website now. Keep us posted. tnx.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
I'm no Herbert Einstein, but couldn't we (not me, but some of you smarter engineers)set up something similar at a much cheaper price. I know solar panels are fairly expensive, but all we're trying to do is
move some air. If you've got flowing water somewhere a Ram pump can move water, air, water, air a fairly
long distance. Not trying to be a smart ass, but I've been wrestling with this same situation for a while.

Just do it...
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
rmedgar, I have been working with a couple members with suggestions for remote aeration. I have been using an AC compressor and DC-AC inverter. Just interested in Keeton's DC compressor to calculate how long it will run. It DOES seem to be high quality for those that can afford it; but the markup must be pretty high. Then again,if they have them on shelf and ready to deliver, it is not a high volume item. Search past threads on "aeration..can I do it myself" and others for more info.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
BM, thanks, I'll search that thread. Don't want to steal his thread so I'll start another one on a related subject.

Just do it...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:12 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:04 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by esshup - 04/26/24 05:33 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away