Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,067
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,410
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
18 members (esshup, bstone261, jpsdad, Bing, e_stallman, FishinRod, Justin W, Augie, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson), 691 guests, and 169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
Deb,

I have a 8.5 acre pond that is currently drained down for repairs. I am planning on restocking this fall. I would consider GG and be a test case for the PB forum. It could be an ideal situation as most of my fish are gone and I can start from scratch.

Are GG available in East Texas?

Gator

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
No dealer there, but I will have a truck in the area the week of November 14th (tentative). Email me directly if you will. I have finally gotten away from the "salesman" label, and I don't want to go back there. \:\)

Deb

Do fish actually kiss?

A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
I'm a perch jerker myself, not really into huge LMB, so perhaps this will work well for my pond and goals. But dont tell my wife - I'm not sure if I can afford it!

In any case I am in contact with Deb and will keep the board updated on my progress. This could be fun!

I am open to any ideas you guys have...

Gator

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Gator,

See the post started by big_pond on GG's vs crappie....and specifically my comments about the limitations of GG's.

Maybe you might want to try them in one of your small ponds first, before making your 8.5 acre pond a test case.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
AMEN ML AMEN . Lets see --- 5000 per acre x 8.5 acres x 25 cents per 2in. fish = $10625.00 or were you getting a discount. Now you need a predator at ? $ . Maybe you need to tell your wife they are made of gold and she can wear them as jewelry. \:D ;\) ewest

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Get rid of the wife. Go in peace and never repeat your mistake, my Son.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Actually he would get a discount, but first of all I would not stock that high, second I would not "test drive" a fish on a pond that large unless you want to keep a tight grip on it, and third to do a true test he can't introduce any other bream (just predators). Especially since Aaron is having a very bad experience with what he thought was a GG from a local source. He and I are on a covert mission right now, so everyone think good thoughts for him please.

Deb

Do fish actually kiss?

A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
All,

(looking for opinions)

I have a ~.25 acre pond...would that be a better test?

Gator

A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
BTW,

I cannot go $10K.

Gator

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Gator :

The cost of stocking an 8.5 acre lake can be expensive. That was the point of my post. It can also be a big job to renovate such a lake. If you want to expir. then it is better to use a small pond. It is also easier to control and renovate not to mention cost. On the GG not for me until I understand the science and like HBG probably not then. ewest

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Gator - The 0.25 acre pond would be an much better pond and situation to do the GG test. Go for that one if you can.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
ewest, Bill and ML;

Thanks for the input.

I have a small pond on my place. It has one 3.5 lb LMB and a few "nervous" HBG that are several generations removed and reverting. I need some dirt for the pad for my cabin and I am planning on enlarging the pond to get the dirt. I could easily dispose of the current residents and run a GG test in that pond.

It has been holding at about 12” – 18” visibility all summer. It should end up at about 75' x 75' in size.

Deb, do you have any thoughts about this plan?

I will christen it the Pond Boss / Georgia Giant test pond, follow Ken’s stocking recommendations and report the results on PB.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Gator :

It sounds interesting. I would make one suggestion. Let Bill advise on the test matters ( how to stock , feed , fert. and test etc.)as he has some ideas in mind I think . ewest

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hey there,

If my figures are correct, that would give you a little over a 1/10 acre pond. This would be an ideal size to experiment on as you can keep up with everyday activity easier. The following is what I would recommend for the testing. The numbers will sound high to everyone on board, but if you want to do a true trial...

1. aeration is a must for a pond that size with the figures I am going to give you. We offer a surface unit that pulls from 4 feet deep and circulates 1/2 million gallons a day for an upfront cost of $648.95, then about $1.37 per day to run (if you run 24 hours 7 days), but there are alot of other good units on the market.
2. Stock 250-300 GG. 1-2" would cost .39 each, or 3-4" would cost .50 each.
3. Stock 50-75 HSB (smallmouth) for a predator. These are sterile so overstocking should not be an issue. They will control the Fx offspring allowing the F-1's to max. out in size.
4. Stock about 1000 gambusia minnows if you have the access to them. They spawn about every 28 days, give live birth, are an excellent source of food for the giants, and control mosquito populations around the pond.
5. Dye the water in the spring and summer months leaving an 18-24 inch visibility for plankton growth.
6. Stock a grass carp or two in the spring also to reduce excess vegetation.
7. If you do have the power source for the aerator, try a Bug-O-Matic for about $129.95. This does not kill the insects, but wounds them (knocks off an arm, leg, or head) so they are still moving when they hit the water. Both the GG and the HSB love this.
8. Supplement with a high protein feed every day during the summer (floating pellet), then every 2-3 days during the winter (sinking pellet).
9. Most importantly keep check every few months on water quality. Alot of people don't realize or accept that ammonia kills happen every day. The aerator above should eliminate that, but you can't be too cautious.

I will deliver for free and help out with anything else I can slide by Ken for the experiment. With the above stated items (not counting every day electricity), you should fall under $1,500.00 over a two year period.

I know everyone is saying right now that these numbers sound extremely high, but if an experiment is to be done based on our recommendations for high yield (not just the everyday pond), this is the plan to follow. Maintenance is to be expected with these numbers mind you, but the benefits will be great.

I am looking forward to this,

Deb

Lord I forgot to mention GET RID OF THE CURRENT RESIDENTS PLEASE!!!

Do fish actually kiss?

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Gator,

I think you should go for it in the small pond...I'm doing the same in my "kid's" pond. We can compare notes, maybe get on the same delivery truck order...Deb, I want the same breaks. \:\)

Also, you must get rid of that LMB. Don't make the mistake I made when I (unknowingly) tried to grow out HSB in the same pond which had an unknown LMB of about the same size as yours...he/she cleaned out every single HSB, every stinking one. \:\)

A
A
I agree with ML...GO FOR IT...do it for the team \:D

If what we here of these true GG are true you should be inviting us all for a fish fry say mid summer if you stock this fall \:\)

We all do what we like with our ponds. If and when I totally renovate I am leaning twards the GG myself. Right now I am just playing around with various bream to decide. Its a blast.

Just another 1 acre hole in the ground...........with fish !!!
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
Thanks everyone,

ML, I agree, smaller is better in this case. I need to read your comments on Crappie vs. GG, I am a big fan of Crappie but have shied away due to the ongoing management issues.

Deb,

I need to think through a couple of issues:

1. I live 2 hours away from my property. Am I biting off more than I can effectively manage? I make it down to "check on things" 2 - 4 times per month average. I am a concerned that with the stocking plan, feeding requirements and full time aeration could present a maintenance problem - if so, what plan should we pursue for me?

2. Given an agreed plan. What are the expectations for this test? IE - What is going to a realistic goal for these fish?

3. Since my contractor is enlarging my pond this week, I need to measure it to confirm the size (after he is finished), this may affect your recommended stocking plan.

4. Do we need a control group?...Any volunteers? :p

FYI, I will be restocking my big pond with CNBG this fall - it will be fun to compare/contrast the results with the PB GG Test Pond.

5. Removing the LMB in NO problem, I have caught her several times…she will make a nice addition to my larger pond.

Gator

P.S. Dudley and Robinson - I gots to keep the wife...shes a keeper and she loves fish! \:D

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I don't think you are "biting off more than you can chew". The main thing to realize with a pond that far away is the need for aeration and a good check on water quality . Do you have a power source out there? If so then stay with the aerator and BOM feeder, also you might want to set up a Stren feeder on the bank that you could program to feed each day since you won't be around. If this is not a possibility then we do need to adjust numbers accordingly.

I know my recommendations fly in the face of everything else here, but we found in the early years with this fish that GG's grow quicker when stocked heavier. They are terribly aggressive when it comes to feeding (like steriod induced), so to do an accurate field test you need to follow our plan pretty close. As for water quality you need to refer to Cody, Lusk, and the many others who have been working water chemistry for years. I have stated many times this is not my specialty, and I still sit on the fence with what to use and not use.

What are the expectations? Stock as I recommend (fish, equipment, and dye) and you should be looking at 1 to 1 1/2 pounders by the end of next summer. This is not unreasonable at all.

I plan to have my truck over in that area the week of November 14th, so if that isn't pushing you too much we need to get going on this. I will give you all my numbers (home included) so you can keep in contact with me anytime you need to should you have question. I don't do sales so this is not a pitch for commission. I am really looking forward to this project.

Call me at the office if you need to chat!

Deb

PS- Meadowlark I feel like I have been accepted as part of this family so my plan is to take care of all of you to the best that I can. Have no concerns \:\) !

Do fish actually kiss?

A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
Deb,

Thanks,

I will be traveling to the UK November 13th - 20th. Dang it! It's always something. \:\(

Can we shoot for the week before or after? OR I am ok with a delivery while I am gone as long as we plan it out ahead of time. I have easy/good access.

I set my electrical pole last weekend and ordered it to be hooked up this week.

humm...lots to do. Better git busy!

Anyone have comments on stocking rates?

Also, a $700 aerator seems pricy. Do we really need to move one-half million gallons a day? I’m ok IF it is a requirement, but, are there better financial choices?

Let me get the pond measurements back to you this weekend and we can make sure my estimates are correct. I will collect water samples and take some picture this weekend as well.

Gator

Oh yes, almost forgot...we need some rain Deb - could you please do a rain dance too? ;\)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hey there! That week is not set in stone yet. We could actually make it the week before or after, I just won't know until a little later.
That unit is a 1/2 horsepower 220 volt unit surface unit that sprays up 6 foot, and it pulls from 4 foot deep. Actually the price is reasonable compared to others like it, but like I stated before there are alot of others on the market. The important thing is keeping that dissolved oxygen up regardless of the unit you go with.

Give me a holler. I am going outside right now to dance for you ;\) !

Deb

Do fish actually kiss?

A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
The week following would work better for me...ML?

220v huh? ...220, 221 whatever.

;\)

Gator

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Gator you asked here goes...
For your goals numbers are not too crazy, go for it.
1/2 hp unit price is good but may not be necessary for 1/10 acre pond. Worked quite a few fish kills none from ammonia but again not sotcking this high, normally a problem in aquaculture only. If deeper than 8 feet more efficnet with bottom diffused unit.

Still do not agree with dye usage but if wanting a true test here I guess follow to see how it goes.

Of course this is not a true test unless you feed like they say but I do not like feeding over winter depending on climate.

Problem is that if every single aspect is not followed then they can say that is why growth is not like advertised. Good luck!

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
Greg,

I welcome your comments.

Since this IS an unofficial "Pondboss" GG Test Pond, I would like to hear everyones view. On the aerator - perhaps my pond is smaller than 1/10th acre...need to measure...but that big of a unit seems overkill to me to. Will need to measure and think through this issue carefully.

I will say this, If there is a probability that not going with the recommended unit will screw up the test, then I will suck it up a get the big dawg.

In any case - I will report all the details and leave them open for debate.

Gator

BTW Deb - For the ka-zillion dollar investment I'm spending and you are shipping half way across the USA - I want some grand daddy sized GG's. How long until I have the 5 lbers likie in the picture?

Heck, I can jeck 1.5lb Crappie out of just about any lake all day long around here. \:D

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Gator,

I'm flexible on delivery schedule...and reserving the right to deviate from the plan...such as the dye. I'm not convinced on that one. My ponds already have tannin colors and green colors from natural fertilization. If the GG's don't grow, it won't be because of not using the dye, in my case.

The winter feeding of sinking pellets every 2 or 3 days sounds okay to me, in fact, sounds like a good thing to try. I love experiments! Let's get it on!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Gator we have people with smaller ponds than that who use this model effectively, but like I said there are other units available (but keep in mind that our unit can be moved to one of your larger ponds later). I do not agree with Greg though (I know everyone is surprised) about the bottom unit. With numbers this high, and the fact that you will be away most of the time, I would like to see a unit that chops and sprays up into the air instead of bubbling. This would help so much with the removal of ammonia and other obnoxious gases.

Greg- "Problem is that if every single aspect is not followed then they can say that is why growth is not like advertised". Not true, in fact we might be referring to you for water quality. Let's all put our heads together to make it work. Yes we have a plan here that we follow, but a few variances are allowed.

Deb

Do fish actually kiss?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 08:37 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:22 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB