Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,789
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
9 members (FireIsHot, Theeck, Rick O, catscratch, canyoncreek, Augie, Bigtrh24, Shorthose, Theo Gallus), 881 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#58258 09/12/05 01:28 PM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
 Quote:
Originally posted by ewest:
I have a current ph. # for Garry Garrett and called and left a message of our inquiry and name and will call him back on Monday. Will try to get him to post
EWEST,

I got is e-mail address from TP&W and requested him to post here also...maybe one of us will get lucky.

#58259 09/12/05 09:46 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
guys. new pond ( 5 acres) stocked 5000 copper nose blue gill and 40 lbs fatheads ist of feburary and 400 lmb in middle june. one half (200) pure floridas and one half (200) F1. i am feeding the bluegill. to enhance the catchablility later, would it be a good idea now to add a few natives? (the bg and bass were small 1-3" when stocked) or is in kind of too late to do that? or should i wait till later? and if you think i should , how many? or since i did half and half do you think catchability be ok?

thanks,
darrell stringer

#58260 09/12/05 09:47 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
ML :

Talked to Gary Garrett today. Greg is right he is very nice and went over some of his work over the phone. He has been out of the office. I went over this discussion and ask him to look for your email , visit the forum and post on the topic as per your email. He indicated he would like to look at the forum and would add his comments. With that said I will wait a few days to see what happens . I would rather let him tell us what he thinks rather than me try to repeat what he told me. If no response occurs then I will try to get his message posted as per my memory. If you want to go over in mean time call or email me. ewest

DS :

What are your goals ? If you want better catch rates and it was my decision, which it is not ,I would add another 10 lbs fatheads another 1000 CNBG/RE ( 1-3 in) and 100 4-6 in.( same year class as LMB you put in recently) northern strain LMB. It is not to late to do this this fall. You can even do it later with larger nort. LMB, but now is ,in my opinion the better time to try to balance the % , before the first LMB spawn. But depending on your goals you may be in good shape as is.

#58261 09/19/05 09:14 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
ML :

Did you get a reply to you email. If not I will try to post what Gary Garrett told me tomorrow. Let me know if you got a reply. ewest

#58262 09/19/05 09:16 PM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
No, no reply received to my e-mail request.

#58263 09/21/05 09:43 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Even though I do not like to try to speak for someone else I will try to set out a few of the points Dr. Gary Garrett of TPW made in a conversation regarding the topic of this thread.

I explained the points we were discussing as they related to the several papers and articles he has written on his research.

He has been very busy and may post later. I hope he does and corrects any error I may make in relating the conversation.ML sent him an email that we both hope he will answer and if so it will be posted. Thanks for the help on this matter.

Most of his points were included in the papers. Each point needs to be read and thought about and allowed to sink in before going to the next point. I read the articles several times and did not get the full effect of the points until I talked to him.

1. Fishing with resultant harvest creates selective pressure for wariness in fish.

2.Some fish are more prone to be caught and they are the ones removed by both fishermen keeping them or by natural mortality associated with catch and release fishing. Thus leaving a higher % of wary fish either by learning or genetics.

3.LMB are rapid learners particularly when negative stimuli such as artificial lures are involved.

4.There is a genetic link to angling vulnerability -- difference between Fla. strain and northern strain.

5. There is evidence this applies to other sunfish (BG, RE etc.) as per studies that show that hybrid sunfish are more aggressive and more vulnerable than either parent species.

6.Catchability (vulnerability) can be manipulated by selective breeding.

7. This manipulation runs on a sliding scale based on the amount of vulnerabile fish genes in the population. A pond with 80% northern LMB genes will have a higher catch rate than one with 40%.

8. Use the goals of the owner to set and then adjust the % Fla. or Northern or F1 genes to get the catch rate wanted. We used 87% northern genes and 13% Fla. genes +- in a TX Resv. because we wanted high catch rates for the public while still retaining a chance for a trophy. Much lower rates of northern genes ( 20%) will still have a measurable effect on catch rates but they will be much less than with 80%.

9.TPW used triploid Fla. LMB in several of its studies which are not available to the public. Several of the studies on these matters are still ongoing in TX lakes and more info will soon be available.

10. There is a range of vulnerability within each subspecies but there is a bigger difference between the 2 subspecies.

11. Remember that BOTH types of LMB learn quickly ( a major point)-- so that catch rates go down a lot over the first fishing days on each of our test ponds. This is like the " opening day effect" on new resv. high catch rates drop off quickly.

12. Vulnerable fish were caught multiple times during the survey while some fish were never caught.

That is enough for now. If I think of more points I will include them in a later post. ewest

#58264 09/22/05 05:16 PM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
EWEST,

THANKS FOR THE POST--GREAT INFO--FOOD FOR THOUGHT. YOU PUT A LOT OF EFFORT IMTO THIS FORUM AND I WANT YOU TO KNOW IT IS APPRECIATED.

TENTMAKER

#58265 09/22/05 08:07 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Tentmaker :

Thanks. I will do what I can to help. It would be great to get Dr. Garrett to become active on the forum. He knows more about LMB genetics and traits than any one I know about. If a bunch of you Texicans (word borrowed from the JW movie The Alamo)would email him at TPW he might just chime in.

I thank you for your considerable efforts on the forum like on this topic. I reallly enjoy your common sense points on the most effective way to deal with problems.ewest

#58266 09/22/05 08:30 PM
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Right into my wheelhouse :

"Some fish are more prone to be caught and they are the ones removed by both fishermen keeping them or by natural mortality associated with catch and release fishing. Thus leaving a higher % of wary fish either by learning or genetics"

The aggressive fish being caught, with 100+ Relative Weights, should become the foundation of a pond. Do NOT put bass into your pond that fail to meet this criteria. Don't just crack open the wallet for pellet trained fish, Florida strain, or F1's. It's easy to tell a hybrid bass, just look for the camo pattern back. It's hard work fishing for the best, but somebody has to do it !

Better yet, go to the hatchery and buy your bass under the condition you keep the ones you catch & want \:\)

Fire away ... someone will claim those pellet trained bass are more aggressive \:\)

#58267 09/22/05 08:52 PM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Eastland,

...yeah and someone will claim that larger bass are as easy to catch as small bass, again. \:\)

EWEST,

Thanks for posting this. I hope we can get Gary to become a regular on the Forum. His insights would be invaluable...and like Ken, the Georgia Giant, everyone has information that we can all use to develop our own positions.

The best thing I've read today, in a day otherwise filled with unbelievable events, were the statements by Todd and Theo...let the buyer beware. The way I like to say it is that we all need to be smart buyers. We all need to make up our own minds on what works best for us in our situations.

#58268 09/22/05 09:09 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Eastland :

Let me know what I am missing about your post.
A couple of general points to readers so my prior post may make sense ( not directed to your post) :

1. If you are not happy with your LMB catch rate do not add LMB to your pond until you know your population dynamics. Number and type.

2. If it shows you have plenty of LMB and have a cathcability problem you have to either remove LMB or increase forage base or both to accomedate more LMB if you choose to address the problem through genetics as discussed below.

3. All LMB/BG ponds require proper LMB harvest or over time you will probably get bass crowded.

4. Common LMB fishing (all subspecies} results in the most vulnerable LMB being reduced either through harvest or nat. death or learning. The smaller the pond the more the catch rate is effected by fishing.

5.The only way to avoid this through catch methods is to remove LMB with live prey or electro fishing so as to hopefully target the wary fish.

6. Other methods of dealing with the problem ,assuming you can do so with out causing a bass crowded situation , are through behavior modification -- selective breeding (see Garrett) or conditioning (competition)followed by removal of proper amount, as per Lusk comments at DFW. Second part usualy but not always requires use of pellet trained fish.

Sorry I went off on a tangent but I hope this helps. Comments are welcome and encouraged. If I am missing something let me know. I still have lots to learn about this topic. ewest

ewest #274502 11/28/11 09:19 PM
D
D
Originally Posted By: ewest
ML and Tentmaker :

Still looking for the requested stocking info.
I do want to refer you to one of the articles handed out at DFW meeting entitled " Behavioral Modification of Angling Vulnerability in Largemouth Bass through Selective Breeding " by Gary P. Garrett. One of their studies was on a small resv. addressing some stats. He was associated with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. on the paper and study. If you could make contact with him he may know more about this than any one as he has written several papers on related subjects. I would be interested in knowing what he says. Will look for more info and report back. May try to contact him myself.

Tentmaker I have a similar project ongoing started in 1998. Started with all northerns of all ages and sizes and BG/RE in 20 year old 16 acre pond. Added 100 10-12in. fla., next 2 years added more CNBG/RE to help forage then added 1000 2in fla all the while taking out LMB to keep balance. Probably got 10% survival of 2in. fla. This year added 1000 3-5 in. CNBG {behind blocking net grew out and spawned before release} to add forage and in fall will add 300 fin clipped 8in. F1s (Tiger Bass)selected for aggressiveness and some more (? 1500) CNBG/RE 2in. Have been taking out LMB to make room for TB. From fall through july no bass in 8-12in. class will be taken out to allow for Tiger Bass to spawn. Will try to not take out any fin clipped fish so as to keep aggressive genetics in pond for spawning. We will see how it works. ewest

I found this post after going through the 'Tiger' bass thread. Very interesting. What kind of results did you get in this lake?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by FireIsHot - 04/19/24 07:49 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward