Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,486
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
3 members (Dave Davidson1, Groundhog7, TropicalKoi), 709 guests, and 226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
pat Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I put 150 florida,150 native bass and 150 f1 bass in the pond 3 years ago.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ric, I agree. Frankly, for myself, if I don't have live bait while at my pond, I may or may not throw out a minnow trap. More likely, I will revert to watching fish or doing other tasks that need to be done. Understand that I have a full arsenal of artificials on me at all times; I just don't care to fish them.

So as ML says, he can catch these "lockjaw" LMB if he chooses to go with live bait.

I think this is an important point, or underlying assumption, that needs to be brought out to forum newcomers. More specifically the context behind our own goals.

For ML, as an avid fly fisherman, he is deeply concerned that one of his specific ponds is not producing for him in a way that suits/satisfies him (being able to catch fish on flys).

In Pat's case, I'm not sure we know what kind of fishing he does (live bait vs. artificials), but in the case of a new pond owner who is trying to get a grip on his/her fish population, we need to suggest that they also fish extensively with live bait to get a real picture of what they have in their pond.

Again in Pat's case, he has the electro-shock survey that shows that there are some bigger LMB in his pond. If Pat's goal is trophy LMB, as I think he mentioned somewhere, then he is really not that far off from getting on a direct path to his goals. Bolstering the forage base, culling, etc. are all things that he needs to start doing.

I think ewest's comment about info. and hard work etc., is really right on the money.

Also ML, I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, just doing some light paraphrasing.

We all have some different context for our goals. For me, I could care less if any fish in my pond would or would not bite on an artificial. I would be leaving mounds of sadness everywhere if I couldn't catch any of my fish on live bait though. My brother who is a co-owner of my (our) pond is different; he only fly fishes, but he does catch fish.

Again, ML, paraphrasing for you, I think a fishery would be inadequate (or a failure) to you if you couldn't successfully catch fish on flys.

All right then. That's enough from me now.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Well, Pat I was hoping/expecting you would say all Floridas.

I understand what EWEST is saying about avoiding any negatives in a discussion, but I have to be frank and say I'm disappointed to hear that your F1's also may have the same problems as Floridas. That is disappointing indeed.

I tried introducing natives into my pond with uncatchable Floridas and found it did not help at all. The natives quickly "learned" the habits of the Floridas, it seemed because they suddenly became uncatchable and came from another pond in which they were imminently catchable.

I've had hopes that F1's by themselves would prove to be a better solution. Time will tell.

Thank you Pat for sharing your data and adding considerably to our own knowledge.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Sunil,

In my case, I know I can reliably catch native bass at a catch rate of 8 bass per hour on flies with a 50% chance of catching a bass over 5 pounds. That's in a 3/4 acre pond, without artificial feeding and with very light fishing pressure. Live bait might catch more, but I seriously doubt it.

When I go to my pond with "all" the management techniques of Floridas, artificial feeding, even fertilizer once, I have a catch rate of .5 bass per hour on either conventional or fly tackle.

I prefer the former rather than the latter...and yes I prefer flys/lures to live bait for sport fish. If you prefer live bait, then this discussion is probably not of interest nor relevant to you.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
ML, I feel that we only recently started to discuss the method of fishing in this thread.

So your first paragraph of your last post is:

"In my case, I know I can reliably catch native bass at a catch rate of 8 bass per hour on flies with a 50% chance of catching a bass over 5 pounds. That's in a 3/4 acre pond, without artificial feeding and with very light fishing pressure. Live bait might catch more, but I seriously doubt it."

To me, this frames out what you view as a successful or pleasing result from your efforts. I think that's very nice what you have there.

Somehow, I feel we need to (or should) preface our opinions and advice especially to forum newcomers who don't know much about any of us.

Now with your last post, I think you've greatly clarified to Pat (and other lurkers) of the exact direction that your advice will hopefully lead them to.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Pat,
Sorry your thread got sidetracked.
Dave Willis & Greg offer advise based on alot of science & professional experience. We cherish their input.
As Greg said he has a similar co. as SE but has more positive testimonials on catching big LMB in the ponds he manages than you may have heard so far. So as ewest says be positive about your ponds potential & ask away any questions you might have.
We're lucky to have some impressive expertise on this site that will be glad to help.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM