Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Freg, Jared015, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, Sunil, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 729 guests, and 217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I'm thrilled to tell you guys that I've reached a verbal agreement to purchase an adjoining 100 acres next to Meadowlark Ranch. This purchase will allow me to completely seal off any entrance to my existing ponds by would-be trespassers, but more importantly, it has what looks to be about a 15 acre lake site.

After closing the deal in another month or so, I'll do some site clearing to get a more accurate determination of the would-be lake. Construction probably won't begin in earnest until next spring because of the rainy season that we have in fall and winter.

I'm already contemplating stocking options, new varietes of fish, and wishing I had more answers to burning questions about LMB agressiveness, feeders, etc.

The journey continues.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
That is great news ML. I'll bet your mind is racing right now with ideas and possibilities. 15 acres, now THAT is a lake! \:D

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

B
B
I'm happy for you ML. That would be a big lake. Have you been getting bids to build. I think that would be fun to start from fresh and stock the right way than always trying to fix what is already there. Good luck
BM

B
B
Alligator, where in east Texas are you?

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Blackfoot TX. in NW Anderson county. I am about 1/2 between Athens and Palestine.

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
bmccreight,

No bids, not that far along yet. I may do this myself. I would need a track-hoe to go with what I have. I would hire an operator for the track-hoe and just re-sell it when completed...of course, I said that about my little dozer and I still have it.

For me, this would be the ultimate DIY project....and I will probably put Houston in the rear view mirror permanently to work on this and enjoy the ponds. Life is a Hoot!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
ML :

That is great news . I hope it works out and you close soon. Nothing like new land and or pond to get the spirits up and the blood flowing .

We will need to discuss the differences between mgt. for small ponds and large ponds . We have both and there are differences. Most have to do with time , $ , and methods and not with goals or scientific methods. One thing to keep in mind when planning { I wish we had this} is the ability to spawn , grow out and easily release forage fish . It would help to have 2 small grow out ponds connected by water control gates which could be closed to spawn and grow out and opened to release. ewest

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
ewest,

I have thought of that some...not only for forage, but for HSB as well. Know a reference for water control gates?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
ML :

That is a term {water control gate} that is used in water control like flood gates. Duck hunter/farmers use them to control the water level in fields often by adding or taking out boards in the gate to control water levels. What I had in mind is a way to block the grow out pond from the main pond which are connected by a 6 ft. wide opening 4 ft. deep. The gate could be made out of chain link fence attached to a re-bar frame covered by netting if needed. I think I have seen more complicated control structures by PondBoss advertisers . ewest

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Okay, something like my fish gates that I posted pictures of, only easily removable. I thought you were talking about a canal gate which would completely stop everything, water and all, until opened. Thanks.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
ML :

In my opinion the gate when closed needs to allow for water circulation between the grow out pond to the main pond to avoid DO problems and to clean out or refresh the grow out pond. So yes an open system . I have seen them done the other way with the use of pumps but see no reason to make things overly complex. ewest

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Makes good sense to me. Thanks.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Congratulations ML! This "little" project of yours sounds like it has the potential for a good Pond Boss article.

Russ

B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
ML, your situation is way cool! Wish you the best and have lots of fun. My pond site could be expanded to about 5 acres if I had the time and money. Unfortunately my site is not the kind where I can just build a higher dam. My pond is excavated out of a bog. I'd have to excavate the rest of the bog to get to 5 acres. Maybe some day, at least it's something to dream about. Got the idea to contract someone to excavate it who would sell the black dirt. Hope that works out some day then I'd actually get paid to dig a pond. Anyone out there ever done that? I don't know where you find enough time to manage 4 or 5 ponds though. It's a lot of work!

Gotta get back to fishin!
D
D
M/L, Hope it all works out for your best on the purchase and subsequent development. Sounds like a huge opportunity in your future, do what is best for you!

We would all be interested in how you manage the large lake and your successes as well as any failures. You are a top contributer to this forum and all respect your observations. Look forward to your future posts on the lake and if you don't close nobodies' business but your owns!

Good Luck, from all of us

Don
A
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by Meadowlark:
I'm thrilled to tell you guys that I've reached a verbal agreement to purchase an adjoining 100 acres next to Meadowlark Ranch. This purchase will allow me to completely seal off any entrance to my existing ponds by would-be trespassers, but more importantly, it has what looks to be about a 15 acre lake site.
The journey continues.
Sweet!

If wishes were horses, dreamers would ride.

I must admit that I am not a fan of the Catfish \:\)
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Congrats! More land is a great excuss for more toys.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Needless to say, we're all jealous and wish you the best ! Whatever you do, remember, you only get to stock 3-4" HSB one time with a high survival rate...I would seriously think about establishing threadfin & HSB first, everything else will end up in there one way or another \:\)
I also just received a stock tip...seems the Water Turkey Stock Exchange is set to explode ! Go get em' ML...but save enough energy to enjoy the finished product, we're not getting any younger. Also, make sure to post some b4 pics, we all want to see !

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Okay, enough of the green has drained out of my eyes for me to comment.

Quote:
This purchase will allow me to completely seal off any entrance to my existing ponds by would-be trespassers
I envision a VERY tall wall or fence. How high do Cormorants fly? \:D

Wonderful news, ML.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Congratulations ML,

that is lot of area for experimantation. Did you stock the pacu?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Good Luck, ML. Sounds like a wonderful addition to your present layout. I sure hope it all falls into place exactly like you envision.
Another hundred acres, new ponds to be built, sealing off the trespassers...... WOW! I can only dream.

Please keep us posted of your progress.

Dan

Mistakes are proof that you are trying.

Dan
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
To all: I really appreciate your comments. I'm not one to get overly excited ( \:\) ), but the prospects of this adventure are making me giddy.

Ed,

I've received criticism from certain folks on the forum for recommending practices which are not "tried and true". As a result, I won't be posting about my Pacu experiment, but would be simply delighted to discuss via e-mail with you or anyone interested. My enthusiam for ponds and quest for knowledge continues unabated, however.

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
My email address is in my profile, but, post any way. 100 acres, I can only imagine, I have 12, takes two weeks just to cut the weeds.
Oh, and that wasn't critism, those were complaints! lol

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
congratulations the planning and building phase is truly exciting and doing some of the work yourself is fun. I would reccomend having a contractor that is willing to let you do some of the work and what you can't do have him do it. I have to say that after working with mike Otto he is the best at planning and understanding a fishing lake.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
James,

I think you are right about Mike Otto. I was totally impressed with him at the Saturday session.

I don't know if he would come to East Texas, but I am going to try to get him in on the planning. I just don't have enough money to be able to afford making mistakes on this project...and I believe Mike could be invaluable in that regard even if he couldn't come to East Texas.

My current dilemma is on the basic approach...i.e. one large pond or multiple (two or three) smaller ponds in a chain. I'm leaning heavily toward multiple smaller ponds for several reasons.

1) I'm convinced that a substantial part of my problems with LMB is related to fishing pressure. Multiple ponds really can help with that problem.

2) I like to do this stuff myself and by doing so, my meager supply of funds goes a lot further. It is much easier for me to tackle building a 2 to 4 acre pond or so than a much larger pond.

Do you happen to have Mike's e-mail adddress? I haven't seen him post on the Forum. I would really like to get in touch with him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images