Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,064
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,408
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
20 members (bstone261, Bing, esshup, e_stallman, FishinRod, Justin W, Augie, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer), 691 guests, and 167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
in the bass pond. They are blind in both eyes and are dark in coloration. One odd thing that happens to fish once they go completely blind is it effects their pigmentation. They turn pitch black.

I've easily netted and removed two from the pond. I'm almost positive it's due to eye flukes that are part of a snail/heron cycle. It starts out with popeye or exophthalmia and then the fish go blind. They also become emaciated due to not being able to feed.

Anyone else observe this? Fortuantely it's only a small part of my population but it sure makes one want to blow those damn birds away!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Dang, Cecil, just another problem to worry about!

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Wonder if there's some kind of critter that feeds on the parasites before they infect the fish?

The wildlife guy told my neighbor that stocking redear sunfish is almost a must down here. He says they are needed to control some kind of parasite. Redworm, I think. There should be *something to interrupt the cycle of the flukes.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Cecil, we had one LMB and one bluegill totally black. The bluegill lived one summer but the LMB lived two. Yes, they were blind. We have a LMB now that is blind in one eye (from hooks I think) but it can find pellets easy enough so has no problem with feeding.

Norm Kopecky
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, I've considered the grim possibility that all of the work we've done to try to keep YOY (young of the year) fish out of our ponds could be contributing to certain type of parasitic infections. I do know that anchor worms, which can cause blindness if they attach near the eye, have a free swimming larval stage which MAY possibily need many YOY fish to keep it in check. I hope that's not a mitigating factor for you.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
What would you attribute the color change to? I've caught starving bass that were of normal color so I don't really understand the black color.

Lunker
Lunker
I've been assuming it was because the fish no longer had visual cues to use in setting it's chromatophores (sp?). Anyone have the real answer?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Theo's right.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Fascinating! That may say a lot about the lack of pigmentation in cave fish. I thought it was the lack of light.

It may say a lot about the pale color of the bass I used to catch in a lake with a lot of suspended sand. They didn't even have a colored lateral line. The lake was so muddy and the water so sand colored that you couldn't see the bass in a livewell.

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Lack of light causing darkly set chromatophores
has the problem of contradicting what we normally
see. That is the more opaque the water, the lighter the fish is. If there is no light there is no need for camouflage, hence pale blind cave fish.

Layton Runkle
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Many cave fish have nonoperative eyes { that is they don't work on visable light} . Over time with no light there is no use for eyes so the fish evolve to the point where they do not work. No eyes , no light, no need for color none of that is needed.

My guess on the bass or BG , which do operate in a light envior. and need operative eyes is that the chromatophores are keyed to colors/light viewed by the eyes .
White is the lack of color , black is a mix of all colors. If a fish is surrounded by lack of color {white sandy bottom and/or in opaque water} it is light colored. If it is surrounded by dark {no light or dark bottom or water } it is dark . If the fish is blind and detects no light or colors it turns dark.

When I kept BG and bass in my aquarium at night I would turn off the light wait about 30 seconds and turn it back on . In the process the fish coloration would go from light to dark and back to light . If I changed the background they would change to reflect the background color .The same with the rocks/sand in the bottom. The BG would also turn dark { I think as a warning} when they were aggravated . I have also read that bass eyes may be able detect light that we can't see like infrared or UV which are above and below our visual light spectrum . I don't know but that would be interesting . ewest

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Theo and Ewest.

Very interesting!

Bruce, the bass are in a pond that is not my primary bluegill pond so I am optimistic with the bluegill. Additionally I've had blind yellow perch and bass but no blind bluegill. Not sure if that means anything.

Hey guys bluegills in the bluegill pond are going crazy under the Will 'O ' Wisp buglight! They absolutely love to suck in bugs under the light. They are presently sucking in small white bugs and seem to have limitless room in their stomaches for the things. Sure hope it really makes 'em grow!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:28 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:23 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:22 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump