Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 779 guests, and 195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#563909 01/29/24 05:56 PM
C
OP Offline
C
After poking around here it looks like I'll wind up buying the Texas Hunter feeders. Seems like they have the best reputation and I've screwed around enough with cheap deer feeders to have learned my lesson on buying once and crying once. My only regret when I bought my deer feeders is that I didn't go larger in capacity. So my question now is what size feeders should I get for the fish? I'm going to be putting one feeder on a small catfish only pond (.25 acre) and the other will be going on a 2-acre pond which will be a bluegill bass pond. My life is extremely busy, so I really want to be able to go at minimum 2 months without having to refill, preferably 3 months. With that said though I'm not sure how often these feeders need to be emptied and cleaned compared to a deer feeder, so is it even realistic to go that long? I'm a ways out before I'll actually need these feeders but I'll be in the San Antonio area and can pick the feeders up from THP when I'm there which will save me a lot on shipping.

On a side note, how do you all store excess feed and how long is it good for?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
To go that long, I'd get the Lake Manager Special feeder that holds 100$ of feed for the small pond and 400# feeder for the bigger pond if you plan on going that long without checking the feeder.

If the feed is kept dry and as cool as possible (keep in pole barn vs. closed shipping container) it will last a year.

Use good food, it has the least amount of fines in it. I really like Optimal Fish Food, and you can get set up with them so they ship what you need on a regular basis so you get the freshest food possible.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
OP Offline
C
Esshup, I'm assuming you are referring to the 70lb small feeder and the 250lb large feeder?

Unfortunately, I'm in Texas, so the only cool spot that I can store feed would be in my office. Wife won't let me keep it in the house. I tend to like to buy things in bulk to get the best price, but it just sounds like that won't be a feasible option in this case. The feed stores around here tend to give a decent price break if I order a half pallet or more, but it doesn't appear that I will be going through that much feed.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by CentexSaj
Esshup, I'm assuming you are referring to the 70lb small feeder and the 250lb large feeder?

Unfortunately, I'm in Texas, so the only cool spot that I can store feed would be in my office. Wife won't let me keep it in the house. I tend to like to buy things in bulk to get the best price, but it just sounds like that won't be a feasible option in this case. The feed stores around here tend to give a decent price break if I order a half pallet or more, but it doesn't appear that I will be going through that much feed.

Teasa Hunter offers for us pond managers a 100# feeder option that will hold 2 bags of fish food. If you call Optimal Fish Food, they ship directly to your door via FedEx. So, you could set up that they ship "X" amount of bags every "X" weeks or just order from them a week or so in advance and you will have the food without having to store it. Their food is priced including shipping costs. https://optimalfishfood.com/

I firmly believe that it is the best food on the market. More of the food gets utilized by the fish than any other feed on the market, so less passes through the fish, less ends up on the water as excess nutrients.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
1 member likes this: jludwig

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...