Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Abaggs Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hey guys my three acre pond had about a foot or less of running water over the emergency spillway last night for roughly 4-6hrs thanks to yesterday's storms. I'm wondering if I should be worried about losing the hybrid stiped bass I stocked. Last year's class fish are 14"+, and this years are roughly 8". I checked the spillway several times, and didn't see any fish in the flow. The guy I buy them from says I should be in good shape. What are your thoughts? I am a worrier by nature.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
How big is the waterway that your spillway empties into?

If it is generally a trickle, then as the water flows subside, your HSB might work back up to your outlet. Especially if you have a decent stilling pool there.

I have no clue about them escaping the pond, but was hoping that if some did, then you could estimate their numbers and perhaps net some to return to their pond home.

Good luck on your HSB recovery project!

A
Abaggs Offline OP
OP Offline
A
It flows over my dam, roughly 20' into another lake, so no chance of recovery. Just curious as to how likely a total escape was?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I have virtually no experience with water using my spillway.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
From what I've heard, certain fish are more prone to have thoughts of 'escape' from a body of water than others.

For instance, Grass Carp are supposedly prone to escaping.

I wouldn't worry too much about the HSB. All you can do is wait and see.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I agree with Sunil.

There have been a few threads on Pond Boss about fish escaping, and I vaguely recall that a few species seemed more likely to travel than others.

Since stripers and white bass are both generally "open water" species, then I hope your HSB have the same tendencies. I suspect they would tend to avoid moving water. Further, since your rains were NOT during the spring spawning season, perhaps they just stayed in a school in the middle of your pond?

Fingers crossed that you give us a follow-up report in the spring saying that you still observe both of your year classes of HSB!

N
N
I have stocked my lake with some wipers, the 1st year after a high water event I did catch some below the dam. I did catch some in the lake for the next 2 years and then nothing. My lake overflows 2 to 5 times each year. So in my own opinion I would say they will go with the water but not all of them. But repeated overflows you will lose some fish, so you need to stock more than you think you need.

61 acre water shed lake. bass, channel cat, black crappie, wiper, walleye, redear sunfish, blue catfish and bluegill. To many bullhead and common carp
http://www.pondboss.com/news/videos/why-subscribe-to-pond-boss
A
Abaggs Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks! This is only the second time this has happened in the three and a half years that I have owned the pond. After the first, I thought it was a rare occasion, but obviously not. I'm currentley making a removable netting system for the spillway.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Abaggs,

Do you live at your pond property?

I have seen reservoirs fed by small creeks get their spillways clogged by trees and flotsam that came in during huge rains. One almost had the dam get over-topped.

Priority #1 for the emergency spillway is to save the dam. I like your idea for Priority #2 to save your HSB.

However, I think you need a way for you to manually release your net if it gets so clogged with debris that the water level keeps rising. However, if you are not there, perhaps you can make a "break-away" net system? I have seen ranchers do that where they have fence lines that cross creeks. The fence survives the creek rising most of the time, but in a serious flood bringing trees and debris, a section of the fence breaks away. Better to repair your net system every few years compared to repairing your dam even a single time.

A
Abaggs Offline OP
OP Offline
A
We are on the same page. This system will be easily removable, and yes I live at the pond so monitoring it will be easy. Large debris and clogs shouldn't be an issue. The only two times this has happened, it has been relatively clean water going over the spillway with very little debris. I'll take pictures of the finished product it's looking really cool and easy.

1 member likes this: FishinRod
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Is your spillway "air gapped" from the waterway connection to the downstream pond?

There have been several threads where undesirable fish have gone upstream into managed ponds during flood events.

I believe esshup? has documented GSF being prone to moving during even shallow water flows over land.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM