Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,989
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (Fishingadventure, jmartin, RAH), 1,163 guests, and 392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
G
Originally Posted by jpsdad
SetterGuy,

I used to have very hit and miss (mostly miss) with the rabbit call until my neighbor shared something with me. He told me that coyotes have a very good sense of distance and direction from their hearing. If a person calls too much, the coyote will know EXACTLY where the sound came from. He told me this. If a coyote hears the call once, it will have a good sense of the generally area from whence the call came but will not know precisely where. So he will investigate and search. The more a person calls, the more likely it is that the coyote will have pin pointed the caller's precise location and will be able to identify the caller before the caller spots the coyote. He told me to do this. Call once ... if there is a coyote in the neighborhood he will come into investigate. Give a coyote at least 15 minutes to come into view but wait no longer than 30 minutes. If no coyote, then assume none were close enough or hungry enough to come to the call and move to different spot or call it a day. He claimed that overcalling will ruin the hunt and educate coyotes. I had a lot of respect for him and followed his advice and although every hunt did not end in a kill ... a greater percentage did and I spent less time hunting.

Ill buy that, coyotes are extremely intelligent. Ive had more unsuccessful hunts then I have successful, I have always wondered about over calling.

I have a friend that hunts them at night with the thermal imaging scope, they are for one, not near as skittish after dark as they are thru the daytime. Quite a few people have started hunting them on a bright moonlit nite with snow on the ground with buckshot, its not uncommon for them to come a lot closer then they ever would in the daytime.
Friend of mine entered a tournament last yr where they had an entry fee and met up, and then everybody scattered in their own direction all nite and showed back up in the morning, with prizes for the most coyotes and biggest coyote, that was a lot of fun.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
Do any of you good coyote hunters ever work land where they perform prescribed burns?

Whenever I do a big burn, I almost always stay out after dark and walk the burn to put out any embers. Every time, the short grass areas beyond my fire breaks are filled with coyotes, and they are VERY close to me! I assume they are having a feeding frenzy on all of the ground critters driven or wounded by the fire.

I have seen them near my truck, and then hopped in to drive to the other side of the burn, and caught more coyotes in the headlights - where I NEVER see them unless burning.

I would think that on a full moon night, or with a thermal scope, you might be able to get a dozen coyotes at my farm?

(Just an observation from a non-coyote hunter that doesn't like his increasing coyote population.)

P.S. I assume full grown raccoons are too big for coyote predation? I get coyotes loping on my game cameras, but have never seen them even stalking the fat raccoons at my deer feeders every night.

P
P
Originally Posted by FishinRod
Do any of you good coyote hunters ever work land where they perform prescribed burns?

Whenever I do a big burn, I almost always stay out after dark and walk the burn to put out any embers. Every time, the short grass areas beyond my fire breaks are filled with coyotes, and they are VERY close to me! I assume they are having a feeding frenzy on all of the ground critters driven or wounded by the fire.

I have seen them near my truck, and then hopped in to drive to the other side of the burn, and caught more coyotes in the headlights - where I NEVER see them unless burning.

I would think that on a full moon night, or with a thermal scope, you might be able to get a dozen coyotes at my farm?

(Just an observation from a non-coyote hunter that doesn't like his increasing coyote population.)

P.S. I assume full grown raccoons are too big for coyote predation? I get coyotes loping on my game cameras, but have never seen them even stalking the fat raccoons at my deer feeders every night.

lol I guess they don’t fool with coons, at one of our feeders we counted 29 coons at one time!

Originally Posted by FishinRod
Do you normally hear the coyotes howling at dusk in the distance? If so, did you hear them yesterday too, or did your rabbit call significantly change the coyote behavior?

I heard the coyotes howl almost every time I worked until dark at the farm this fall. They would start up on one side of me, and then there would be a reply in another direction. Sometimes I would even hear a third group.

However, the way that sound carries, I have no idea how close the coyotes were.

I do normally hear them at dusk, and that’s when they generally show up in the game cameras. But I’ve spotted a few recently mid afternoon just driving around. I heard zero the night I tried calling. Now I know I called way too much. I’ll try again in a month, and I’ll call for a short time and wait. I might try that fawn call too.
Nothing seems to cut into our coon population but me. Definitely seeing more vultures around than a few years ago. And,, we are seeing more turkeys too.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Caught a neat pic on the game-cam last night....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Fishing has never been about the fish....

1 member likes this: FishinRod
F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
I also had several pics of bucks fighting on my game cams long after the rut was supposed to be over!

No clue if they were fighting over corn, over females, or just mock fighting to get ready for next year's rut?

1 member likes this: Zep
C
C
Deer are social creatures. They lick each other, groom each other, play with each other, run across a field to greet another, and spar with each other. I think it's the equivalent to a couple of teenage boys wrestling in the living room after a summer baseball game. They aren't fighting over a cheerleader but they might look like they are. I keep cameras on scrapes year round. Deer check and leave scent at these spots every month of the year. Their social network goes way beyond breeding and includes many different aspects.

2 members like this: esshup, FishinRod
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Deer season sucked. Early season I saw a lot of bucks that needed one more year to be legal. Later, I saw an occasional doe. I’m not much of a meat hunter. Saw no pigs.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
Deer season sucked. Early season I saw a lot of bucks that needed one more year to be legal. Later, I saw an occasional doe. I’m not much of a meat hunter. Saw no pigs.

I was worried about our season due to the drought. I deepened one of my groundwater ponds by 8' and it stayed full at that new pool level throughout the fall.

I might of had the only open water for several miles around. We did see our highest number of bucks on camera ever. I think we were drawing them to our land.

P.S. I wonder if your drought conditions also explains your lack of hogs? Piggies have to drink too!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
My grandson saw some pigs at the end of the season.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
My grandson saw some pigs at the end of the season.

Bummer! I was hoping the drought had at least a tiny silver lining.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves