Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,070
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Freg, Rick O, Justin W, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing, e_stallman, FishinRod, Augie), 754 guests, and 179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#55861 07/07/05 11:15 PM
D
OP Offline
D
George / ML and anyone else,

I have seen a couple of posts on the forum and one recently from George concerning the "pellet fly". I am by no means a fly fisherman but I do have a fly rod on order and hope to someday use it skillfully in my little "Thai Shangri La" pond.

Right now I am in Afghanistan and have access to a USA APO address so makes ordering from the states easy.

What I am interested in are few tips on what flies to buy and the sources, mail order please. The pellet fly has me real interested or any other fly that has tricked fish that readily pellet feed. I have various species of fish that come around at feeding time, besides Tilapia; numerous Carp species; Snakeheads and catfish, would like to be devious to the finiky feeders!

Also have seen many posts on other threads about catching Peacock Bass with streamers. Seems like PB hit similar flies to LMB with the exception of frog/crayfish imitators (PB are strickly a fish predator), so any suggestions from you folks would be greatly appreciated while I have the shipping / customs "discount" available.

Don
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Don, Pellet flies are Georges own unique creation. Not available for purchase anywhere and only someone who is used to pellet feeding would have thought of it. I expect George won't mind sharing his methodology. The darn thing is almost indestructible. It is made with foam (not styrofoam), panty hose, a hook and super glue. The super glue is important.

I'm a beginning fly fisherman that George and Meadowlark got hooked. I bought a mail order fly tying kit that included a video. I've not found a fly that pond fish just won't hit. That is, until they figure out that there are strings attached. The video mentioned a black gnat that most fish will readily hit and I found that to be absolutely true.

I developed an easy one that works well. I found some long pipe cleaner things called chenille stems at a craft store. They come in various colors and are made in Taiwan. I just cut off about an inch, wrap it around an appropriate sized hook and toss it where I'm feeding. It works like a charm and is dirt cheap. Its only drawback is that it sinks and the fish seem to inhale it and take it pretty deeply. They must like it. I mentioned the idea to a friend who got some white ones and used them for a second hook tied a couple of feet behind his main lure and cast them to feeding white (sand) bass. He said he caught more fish on them than he did the main lure. I've tried soaking flies in the fish oil that comes from vitamin stores and it seems to turn fish off. That oughta tell you something. I'm going to try just impaling it on a hook to see what happens.

I'm still experimenting with fly fishing but figure most of the gaudy feathers catch as many fishermen as they do fish. I caught a couple of good sized, hook shy, catfish the other day on a greenish foam concoction that is supposed to look like a spider. I know it looks like nothing I've ever seen in nature but it did hook me.

Bottom line is that you can build your own a lot cheaper than you can buy them. Also, the lures don't seem to last very long. Get a kit and you won't have to depend on the stores for anything but hooks. Heck, I shot a squirrel the other day and cut its tail off to use the fur for fly tying. My wife is looking at me kinda funny but she does that a lot. I'm still experimenting but finding that I'm limited only by my imagination.

G
G
Don, send me your mailing address and I will send you some pellet flies, materials and instructions.
They work with pellet trained fish.

But as Dave says, you can easily concoct just about anything you think up - PomPoms, feathers, hair. closed cell foam, etc. - very simple - and fun.
George Glazener

G
G
Don, some years ago, I developed a fly for Lake Texoma striped bass, that I call the Spinster.

I modified the fly for Amazon Peacock Bass.
It’s big, bright, noisy and very productive. From what I have learned from your posts, it would be overkill for your pond, but the basic concept could be applied to a simple bucktail streamer fly - with spinner blade attached.

The attached link to danblanton.com will give you an idea that might be helpful:
http://www.danblanton.com/thespinster.html

George Glazener

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Don,

Welcome to fly fishing. Its something that gets in your blood in addition to being a great way to catch fish. I loved Dave's discourse on how he got started...and by the way a red fox squirrel's tail makes some of the best pond flies you will ever use.

George has covered the Pellet fly which works great and is his creation. Another effective approach is the PomPom fly. The PomPom is sold in sewing centers and craft stores here in the States..apparently kids tie them on their shoe laces, I don't know. They are cheap and very effective...maybe George will include some in his package to you and if not I'd be happy to send you some. It helps to store them in small ziplock bags with the crushed fish feed to absorb the smell.

I haven't caught a PB (yet, but will one of these days) but if I were to go for them, I think I would use large poppers fished very violently, clousers (chartrues and white) which are one of the very best streamer flies, and something like a seaducer (red and white).

Small nymph patterns are deadly in the pond, e.g. prince nymph, pheasant tail, squirrel tail,zug-bug, hare's ear, etc. One of the best, if not the best all around flies is the wooly bugger in various colors and size3s. It will catch any fish that swims.

Below I've listed two links where you can order flys and/or materials. I've used both and they are reliable. The third link is a good information resource. Relative to fly tieing, I enjoy it, but like catching fish more so I try to use my time accordingly. You won't save much if any money tieing your own, but it is a very satisfying feeling of accomplishment.

Enjoy and keep us informed on your progress. I'm a traveling fisherman and will (and have) gone just about anywhere to catch fish and am always looking for a new place.

http://www.ligasflies.com/index.html

http://www.fortackle.com/

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

D
OP Offline
D
Dave, glad to read your post, seems you became a fly fisherman largely based upon George and M/L's post. Thanks for the input on building your own! Sure gave me a lot of ideas, materials and confidence in the procedure. Will get a build your own kit and will chase ya down for more advice!

George..."the master of the pellet fly", thanks so much! No doubtably it is those unique ideas that produce. You are getting my mailing address on an email, and by the way...make that a rush order on the pellet flies, will be home in 4 weeks! The APO address will take a couple of weeks to deliver.

M/L may need some assitance with the Pom Pom flies! Your experience and posts I have a deep, sincere respect for. Though not super experienced with the HSB and stripers, have seen a lot of similarities between the PB (just love laying that acroynom on you all) and the stripers. The PB school, like stripers love to play / and have experienced "ping-pong" with top water. They are a real blast. My time in eastern NC coastal waters coupled with the HSB in Lake Eufala, AL fortify the similarities.

Though angling technique is not a major part of this forum it is a large part of our combined quest for enjoyment of the endeavor.

For all three (above) a sincere appreciation! Hopefully...I'll clog this site with photos of the success using the learned / used, know how. Sure it can be an enjoyment and learning experience for all.

For all of you...if you ever get the chance to come to Thailand, would be more than happy to invite you'all to the pond for some fishin' and night life if your schedule allows!

Don
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Night life? For PB? \:\)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:13 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails