Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,958
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
8 members (gautprod, catscratch, Omaha, Theo Gallus, Lake8, Sunil, J. R., FishinRod), 1,382 guests, and 424 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
I just found a nutria den in the dam. I have taken care of the nutria. My question is what is the best way to refill and pack the den to prevent it from leaking or getting worse?

Thanks

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
TEXAS715,

I've had two different encounters with nutria. In one case on one pond, I caught them early (and dispatched them) before they had been established long. I simply plugged the hole in the dam with clay by hand and hoped for the best and it worked...no leaks.

The other case was not so fortunate. The nutria were well established in the past on this other pond, but had vacated the premises. I tried the packing approach and it didn't work...the dam leaked. I then drained the pond and tried digging/repacking with a dozer on the front side...still leaked. Then tried digging out areas on the backside of the dam and finding tunnels with the dozer and repacking with clay...again still leaked. Finally cut a trench in the middle and along the direction of the dam with a backhoe and found the main den and water from the front side. Repacked and so far no leaks, but my water levels are very low. This tunnel system was very extensive as I learned as I went. I had no idea it was that extensive. I won't know for sure that it is fixed until the pond refills. In effect I have rebuilt the entire dam segment inhabited by the nutria.

Two cases, one easy, the other very difficult.

The answer to your question then, based on my experience, is that it all depends...on how long they have been there and how much damage they have done. One thing I'd bet on, TEXAS715, there isn't/wasn't just one of them.

Good luck cause you may need it.

T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Oh, I know. It is a never ending battle here. My property borders two creeks and no matter what I do soon there will be another one. The shotgun has gotten a workout and if their fur was worth anything I would have bought Lake Fork by now. They have gotten smarter and don't seem to be out until after dark. I will need to start to try trapping them.

Just a little story. When I hunt for them with shotgun. I go out in a boat with a trolling motor and foot peddle. My black lab will be at the front of the boat. All I have to do is watch him and his nose and he'll lead me to them if they are around. I don't know where he got that from but I'm not complaining.

My lab does things I would never expect a dog to do but has helped me do a lot of work.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I was going to try Dan Patterson's muskrat trap on them but haven't got around to building it yet.

The attached points to an article that suggests baiting a trap with sweet potatoes and apples sprinkled with Zinc phosphide...haven't tried that either but it sounds promising. I can't see them in daylight hours and they won't fall for the simple live traps. I'm glad I don't have them like it sounds you have...I'd really be concerned about any dam or levee. They are unbelievable tunnel builders.

http://wildlifedamage.unl.edu/handbook/handbook/allPDF/ro_b71.pdf

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
If you have questions about tapping Nutria or anything, post your question here:
http://www.trapperman.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=1
These guys know how to trap animals.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
K
Lunker
Lunker
K
They sound worse than muskrats, glad we don't have them up here. I've been in a bout with muskrats over the past year. The put a hurtin on my pond over the winter last year so I put a hurtin on them with about 20 conibear traps. While they did cause some damage in my expierence muskrats won't burrow more than 15 feet into a bank. It sounds like nutria have some mole in them.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
You disappointed me Meadowlark. I thought for sure you would suggest plugging the holes with water turkeys.

As I looked out upon one of my ponds the other day I noticed a small "island" moving across the water. Upon closer inspection with the sight glasses, there was a muskrat with a wad of greens in its mouth heading for home. Since my ponds are excavated, I'm not too worried but I think I'll knock the rust off the old 110 conibears and take a few this fall.

Russ

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Russ,

That's kinda what I thought.. as long as they don't burrow into the dams I didn't care. HOWEVER, one day when I was mowing the rear wheel of the tractor broke thru into one of the burrows and I think the Brush Hog prevented the whole tractor going over into the pond.

From that day on I have a Zero Tolernce Muskrat Free Zone at my pond.

I don't have livestock but I could see where broken legs might happen if a larger animal broke thru unexpectly. Just not worth the risk, in my opinion.

Mistakes are proof that you are trying.

Dan
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
ML,

Where are you getting the zinc phosphide from? I haven't been able to find out the toxicity of it to aquatic life?

Hogs are also coming through so the rifle is going to be getting a workout.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Dan,

I should explain my situation a bit further. The rats have been digging on the west bank of my pond. At the present, mother nature rules the roost on that side. I'm in the process of clearing the trees there in preparation of future pond expansion. Once that takes place and it comes time to maintain that space, my view of the rats will change.
I'll certainly take heed of your warnings about busting through the tunnels when I get over there with my tractor. Thanks!

Russ

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The above article says zinc phosphide can be purchased only by certified pesiticide applicators. It is pretty toxic stuff. The article talks about using it on floating rafts baited with carrots or sweet potatoes for nutria control. I think that if treated baits are used on shore any animal (cats dogs raccoons etc) that eats the treated bait will usually get very sick or die.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
TEXAS715,

I haven't tried the Zinc phosphide...and would use it only as a last resort. If traps and shotguns don't work, then yes I would try it rather than go through having to completely rebuild a dam. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it would be available at most rural feed stores.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Theo Gallus - 04/25/24 05:18 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Lumberman1985 - 04/25/24 03:01 PM
Low Alkalinity
by ewest - 04/25/24 02:13 PM