Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
6 members (catscratch, Brandon Larson, Layne, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond, Angler8689), 638 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Jersey Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Guys, it is really killing me that I can't discuss it, but the good news is that I should be able to spill it in about it in about a week or so. I don't think my approach will be a lot of help to you guys out in Texas, but it is what I had to do and it appears to have worked for me. Understand that until I get to a certain point, there are certain people who could ruin the whole thing, so I ain't talkin'. I am sure that you all will get a kick out of it, though. ;\)

Hey Moe, I'm trying to think but nuthin's happening!
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I don't blame you Jersy. Stay mum until the right time, ... But I can't wait!!

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
Lunker
Lunker
I'll wait. The best story I ever heard, I had to wait 15 years for. And I haven't told the full version to anybody else in the 7 years since I heard it.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Theo, you just haven't told the "full" version because you can't remember it all when you're telling it ! \:\) hahah, messing with you.

Jersey...this better be good, Theo established a pretty high benchmark ! (even if it's not parallel to uncovering what "really" happened during the Kennedy assassination) We will all breathe a sigh of relief when you get the go ahead on your pond. I can only imagine how "passionate" you will get, once the dirt starts moving !

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I think I would wait until the dirt is packed and water is impounded.

J
Jersey Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I hear ya Dave, but then I wouldn't be able to show all of the pictures and tell you how excited I am once the 953's start rolling! \:D

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Jersey:

When I started to build my pond in 2002 I talked to NCRS and asked them if any permits were needed. They told me none were needed.

I thought better safe than sorry so I called the county engineer and he said no permit was needed. I then called the state water office and the chief engineer said that if my drainage area above the dam was not greater than several hundred acres I was exempt from any state requirements. Since my drainage area was 75 acres I was OK.

One of my son's friends parents said that the Corps of Engineers required a permit. I thought what the H, it never hurts to ask. I called and left a message, after several days of no return call I thought they were'nt interested. A week or so later I just happened to be in the office over the noon hour and the phone rang and it was the Corps of Engineers deputy on the phone. He said that the Corps had jurisdiction of any area that flowed water enough to bend vegetation over and that a permit or a finding that an exception applied was required. I asked him what happened if I built the dam without the permit. He said if they found an unpermitted or a dam built without a permit they would make me remove it.

I then applied for a agricultural exeception and in about two weeks a letter arrived stating that I met the exception in and confirming that I could build the dam without a permit.

I was lucky to have unwittingly gotten the Corps exception approval despite trying to ask anyone who I could identify as requiring a permit as to what permits were required.

Rock Creek

J
Jersey Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Rock Creek,
What was the basis for your agricultural exemption? Cattle? Crops?

2002 is when the rules changed, but it sounds like you asked after the new rules went into effect, being that they are now in charge of every drop of water that ever touches land.

Your ACoE engineer was much more reasonable than mine. At least they were willing to talk to you.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Jersey:

At that time I had cattle on the place and intended to use the pond to water them. Since then I have signed up with the ASCS riparian initiative to improve timber stands along creeks and am using the water to water the tree seedlings during the dry spells. The riparian initiative is to improve water quality in the creeks and to prevent erosion. The Corps representative stated that the exception, once granted, would remain effective even if I quit running cattle on the place. I suspect that this new use (being environmentally friendly and government sponsored) might be even more pursuasive to the Corps. If you have these kinds of programs in your area you might try enrolling and see if that helps you.

Rock Creek

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
The levees are and have been in place for decades. What you're seeing on TV is the result of breaches in two of those levees. Keep watching and you'll perhaps witness the result of a fear of God being lacking in a segment or segments of a population.

Lunker
Lunker
Dudley:

Am I correct that N'awlins was originally above the level of the Mississippi, but with 2-3 hundred years of the river rising due to silt and the city NOT rising due to keeping the river out, it is now several feet below the level of the River? If it weren't for the levees, it would be underwater all the time.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
J
Jersey Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Maybe someone should suggest not rebuilding there?

Boy, this this get off topic!

But I appreciate the ACoE actually doing what we pay them to do.

Lunker
Lunker
Yes, rebuilding levees for a major city on a river that has major ship traffic is much more my idea of "navigable waterway" work.

-S. M. Stirling
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Dudley, your comments sound like those of a man of faith. They are almost verbatim what my wife said.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I've been sitting pondering about the magnitude of Katrina.

As I previously posted, a close friend of mine lived at Pass Christian, Mississippi which no longer exists. Nothing habitable for a considerable distance exists. They are in a motel at Columbus, Missippi.

His home is gone, the childrens (6) schools are gone, the grocery stores are gone and the hotels/motels are gone. There are no public utilities. The Church is gone. The hospital where his wife worked is gone. He worked for a New Orleans defense contractor that was right on the coast. There is no place to stay for a considerable distance from what was home and source of income. He has no word, so far, about his job. There is no city hall, fire or police station. In short, the infrastructure that we call society no longer exists.

He is insured and has flood insurance. In the short term, how does he return and to what?

I've been through my share of tornados but they cause a much narrower band of destruction. The people of the afflicted area have huge challenges facing them. I can't even imagine those challenges.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Our company has an office in Terrytown LA which is accross the river and SE of New Orleans.

Our branch manager and staff from that office all got out safely, however, they have no idea about the condition or existence of their homes.

From what I can tell, our whole office must have been underwater (or still is), and the manager only lived a few miles from the office.

Does anyone know of a source of information to find out what areas have been affected etc. Everything I can find seems vague at best.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
Lunker
Lunker
B

Hey Yall the Army Corp of engineers is supposed to be looking at the breached levees in New Orleans to try to fix it! Good Luck to poor Ole New Orleans...I wonder if they will make New Orleans get a FREAKING!! permit to fix this dam or levee huh? It will probably take them 3 month to cut through the red tape...Those Turds!! Every time I see them in the news I cringe!! Maybe the US should send the folks to Iraq to fight in this useless war!! That is bout what they good at……..sorry ticks me to see this bunch of clowns to so call help people!!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/31/katrina.levees/index.html

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Sunil; Ham radio operators maybe.

Big Pond, this is the thing the ACOE is good at. No red tape, no local officials. Just guys with machinery.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Thoes guys aint good at anything but causing TROUBLE!!! Heck! just ask Jersey and all my friends!!

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Theo, I can't answer your question. One of the many theories I've heard is that the weight of the buildings caused the land to sink. The Corps of Engineers could probably provide commentary on the most likely scenario. Maybe Big Pond will offer to call the ACOE office in New Orleans to try to get that information.

Jersey, sounds reasonable to me!

Bob, as you know, a fear of God's reprisal has historically kept people in line, and even without that fear hanging over their heads, most people develop a sense of acceptable behavior. Others are only a few generations past using cow crap as a hair dressing.

Dave, perhaps our wise leaders will decide that New Orleans would function best as a port only. Or better, allow it to remain a pond. Wouldn't have to be concerned about adding structure.

Sunil, I don't know of any source for that information, but maybe Big Pond could ask that question when he calls the ACOE office.

Big Pond, the ACOE always makes every attempt to be accommodating. Maybe you should try the "Be Nice" approach. javascript:void(0)
Smile

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Thanks guys, I'll try both suggestions.

I did speak to the New Orleans Branch Manager who is currently domiciled in Panama City, FL. His clan is doing fine and just trying to figure out how and when they can get back to Lousiana to position themselves for getting back into New Orleans.

If anyone knows anything about the condition of I-10 between Slidell, LA. and Mobile, AL., please let me know. My co-worker is not having any luck finding any info. on that topic.

Dudley, not wanting to assume anything here, but because you still have internet, does that mean you didn't get hit that hard? I hope all is OK at your pad. Don't forget, I still have a sub-let open on that sunken tire and wood pallet chalet in my pond that we've been saving for you. You can have it anytime, but you may have to grow some gills first!

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil, this is probably about as good as any place to look. http://www.mdot.state.ms.us/
I-10 closed til tommorrow @5:00 pm for search and rescue.

It ain't much of story if you don't have pictures!
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
I just heard that a large group of doctors went to the N.O. charity hospital to attempt to help those left in the city and their cars have been stolen, looted or otherwise destroyed by the people they're trying to help. Looking out the windows they saw looters wearing their stolen mink coats walking in water well laced with sewage. Unfortunately, they'll probably all survive exposure to that poisonous swill to each have fifteen children who will adopt like philosophies. Don't rent that condo; I'm on my way to Somerset to tie weights to my feet in order to occupy it without gills.

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Sunil, I'm so furious that I neglected your inquiry and I apologize for that. The only thing I had was four young (two years old) LSU Gold fig trees growing near my pond that got blown around too much. I managed to get them erect and staked them in that position. Hopefully they'll survive, but if they don't, I won't consider it a problem.

Thanks for asking, my friend.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Thanks Ross, that website is helpful.

Dudley, glad to hear you're intact.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??