Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
2 members (anthropic, esshup), 743 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
I've been lurking on the forum for some time. I'm currently starting my pond building venture and I'm glad to have found this site! I plan to have a 1 acre/ 15 foot deep pond built on a future home site. The sequence that I have in mind are as follows.
1- Hire neighbor (excavation contractor) by the hour to dig deep holes in the location of the future pond site. Please advise on the best method for thes deep holes/ Large X across pond site?
2- My environmental engineering buddy offered to use a transit on the site and put the layout on paper.
3- As we all are, I'm looking for the most "bang for the buck"! I would like to create a pond construction bid sheet and send it to 3 or 4 well known contractors. Included in this list will be the contractor that does the deep holes. I've already discussed the pond with him and he has expressed his dislike for seeing a competitor doing work across the street from his business. I would like to work this angle in my favor and make sure that I'm working with a level playing field. Can someone forward me a sample bid sheet for a template or link me to one on the net? My goal is to leave the contract loose enough to allow minor changes in the construction phase if needed, yet rigid enough to allow the contractors to make a calculated bid on the project. Also, are there any past articles in the Boss that someone could suggest on this topic.
Thanks, Chris

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Chris, Mike Otto has been discussing pond building in the last half dozen or so issues. I believe you could read all of his stuff and make a list of the things that you probably wouldn't ever think of. It would make a good starting point. I think it would make sense to also get some opinions from a couple of the pond builders on this site to put yourself in the dozer guys shoes. You really need to find out what is reasonable to expect and what kind of stuff not to put up with. ZHKent(?) comes to mind.

Finally, the internet is pretty deep in info about how to build a pond. A lot of States have wildlife/pond sites. Check it out and go from there. Then post your list and get people to poke holes in it.

Z
Lunker
Lunker
Z
Lavarock64,
On the test holes I would recomend one in each corner, in about 45 feet from water line. This would be roughly where the toe of the slope meets the bottom.
Getting the layout on paper is good. Figure out how much cut (excavation) and fill (dirt in the dam) you have. Unless you want extra dirt getting the cut and fill to balance (cut = fill) is ideal. From the test holes determine how deep and long of a core trench is needed.
# 3; Contracts are typically for cubic yardage of earth excavated and compacted into the dam, on dams that balance. If dirt has to be brought in or removed it would have it's own price.
Cheapest is not always best. The topsoil should be saved and put back on top which means it has to be moved twice, once to get it out of the way and then back. The core should be dug out and compacted back in. Watch for the cheap bid that will charge extra for these.
Rather than leave the contract loose, also negotiate a reasonable hourly rate for anything extra you might want done after the pond is built, which falls back to putting what you want on paper so if you want the banks to jut out into the water they will be dug that way. Saves you money and the contractor headaches.
Hey Dave, always happy to be called a pond builder and dozer guy.

Make it look easy,
http://zhkent.com
L
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
Thanks for the replies guys. The hourly component makes sense. One additional idea I've had for the project is including an island. How does this effect the project in terms of cost? I thought it would be a nice area to put glacial erratic boulders that are bound to turn up during the project as well as an area for nesting waterfowl.
Any takers on someone willing to share a sample bid sheet? If not I hope there is one in the back issues of pond boss I plan to order.
Thanks, Chris

Z
Lunker
Lunker
Z
lavarocks64,
For my pond work for individuals I don't have a contract. I've been lucky to work with honest customers, most who have had to be rather patient waiting on me to get there.
For bid work for watersheds and other jobs the contract is like a book. The bid sheet is itemized by item.
example of bid sheet;
Excavation of Core Trench 500 cubic yards
Unit Price_____ Price _______
Earthfill Embankment 3500 cubic yards
Unit Price______ Price_________
Salvaging and Spreading Topsoil 500 cubic yards
Unit Price_______ Price_______
Total __________

And on the bid work the quantities are estimated on the bid, then measured for the actual cubic yards and the final price

Another option is to set a benchmark (a solid reference point for elevation). Cipher out the height of the proposed dam and the water elevation in relation to this benchmark. If 2 benchmarks can be sat, 1 at the same height of the proposed dam, and 1 the same height as the proposed water level, it would be great. However benchmarks must be in a safe area where they can't get destroyed or lowered.
Then bid on building a dam to the proposed height (elevation). Slopes, top width, core, topsoiling are all variables.
Good luck

Make it look easy,
http://zhkent.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails