Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,990
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fishingadventure, FishinRod, Bigtrh24, Sunil, catscratch, highflyer), 1,128 guests, and 497 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Dave,

It is a shame isnt it? Do you have controled access? Is it fenced and gated? If so then look close by for the problem.

I just recently purchased my property in East Texas. While talking to the next door neighbor he decribed in great detail my place and the fish (exact species and size) in each lake. It's obvious to me that the local population is most likely the problem when it come to these type of things.

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Dave D. I can imagine the rage you must have felt about finding the dead turtles w/ holes in their shells. I feel for you.

The shitty thing about that specific incident is that the guilty party was just killing for fun.

As I'm an absentee land owner myself, I have had the most success in busting people at my place from Mondays through Thursdays, from early afternoon to dusk. This is not as much fun though as you can't be doing your regular pond activities, but instead have to be hidden somewhere.

Another first step (as Meadowlark has said) is to make the bastards aware that you are aware of their activities. This alone does stop some individuals.

While these items have most likely been mentioned before, here's a list of things I would do:

1)Spread the word to certain local folk that you are having trespassing problems.

2) Gather up the turtle shells and keep them in a place where they can be seen.

3) Start expending hundreds of rounds of ammo from a handgun or rifle every time you go to your property for the next month or so. Leave some empty shell casings around.

4) Hang targets w/ bullet holes at various locations around your property. I use old coffee cans hung from trees.

5) Leave a note for these bitches. I like to let them know that when I do catch them, I will be pursuing the most severe action/penalty within my rights and under the law.

6) If possible, donate some amount of money to the local police and let them know what you're going through.

7) If you haven't already, make efforts to find some local person who for a few bucks can act as a caretaker type. Obviously it's hard to know who you can trust at this stage. This is also very helpful in narrowing down the windows of time when the trespassing is happening.

Again, I'm sure you know all of this.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I'm going to do all of these types of things plus call the Game Warden. I've always liked to handle my own problems and, admittedly, the veneer of civilization is a little bit thinner on me than on some other people. However, in this case, I'm going to have to go for outside help. I just can't go there except on weekends.

Venting here and I think everyone here feels the same way. People let their dogs run and it scares the deer. They have gotten scarce in my area due to people moving in. People seem to think my investment and work for fish and other resources are theirs for the taking. Heck, I recently found a large, baited Havahart trap on my property. I modified it with the help of a big rock and hung it in a tree. I heard, second hand, that one of the neighbors considerd me a real @$$hole for wrecking his sons trap.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Sunil . I to don't live at my pond site .

I have talked to the Sherrif and the Game Warden .
Don't know how often they check on my place .

But have placed a large sign by the best fishing spot on my pond . It reads .

Your are
TRESPASSING and your are a THIEF !

Would you steal Cow's , Horses , or someone's Goat's .

THE'SE ARE MY FISH !
I treat the water !
I buy the fish !
I feed the fish !
THESE ARE MY FISH

If i catch you
I WILL PROSECUTE !

Have'nt seen any evedince of poaching since placing the sign ? Also looking into cameras .

Harvey

!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Harvey, I'm glad to hear that the signs may be working for you. Sometimes people need to be told that their activities are being seen.

Meadowlark, you mentioned that your cameras and traps seemed to be working. What did you mean by "traps?"

Also one other thing I've noticed: This is my seventh year owning my pond. The trespassing has seemed to go in cycles. Part of me believes that some of it is associated with kids, which unfortunately can be a regenerating problem. Once kids turn 16 years old, they can drive to more exciting things (or where the girls are) so they don't screw with your pond, but then you have the next group of kids who are now 12 to 15 years old.

Now certainly there are adults who are trespassing too. For Dave with those dead turtles, you have to wonder if that's a kid or an adult. If it's a kid, you really have to wonder about the parents who are letting the kid just shoot things with a rifle or pistol. The adults are always the ones who think they have some hick right to your property.

During my first year owning my pond, some chump actually came up to me and said "we hunted and fished here all of our lives, and now you own the place for six months, and we're not allowed on the property!"

I simply told him he should have bought the place if he loved it so much.

One final thought. Besides my recent issues with someone stealing the concrete slabs off my dam, I've always been able to find the perps by offering some other skell a few bucks for information. $20 bucks goes a long way to sell out a fellow perp.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Sunil, I have no idea who the perps might not be. Almost everyone is a possible and the general feeling is that, even after owning the place for 20 years, I'm still considered a Dallas Cowboy. There is a lot of resentment about rich outsiders (who, me?) who come in and buy up the land. I talked to one guy yesterday who retired there from the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex who recommended that I call the Sheriffs Dept. He says they would like to get access to land where the owner doesn't live there but has running water. My house, tractors, 4 wheelers, etc. are pretty secluded and a lot of people don't even know it is there. Evidently the local drug cookers like to come in and spend the day cooking dope and then disappear. I noticed a couple of months ago that my water hose had been left on by someone and my 2,500 gallon water tank was drained. We always turn the water off at the valve leading to the house when we leave. Possible mystery solved. I don't know whether to trust my stuff to some unknown deputy(s) but I don't know what else to do. I'd rather have possibly known cops than unknown druggies or poachers. At least the cops wouldn't blow my head off if I catch them.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Dave,

Is there one local neighbor that you could allow access and have them policing the others? I know a lot of people who keep tabs on their place this way...it seems to me that would be better to have one person rather than (possibly) the entire sheriffs department.

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Man Dave! That's a whole new can of worms.

So are you saying that some trespassers/drug cookers are wanting to find sources of running water? And are you thinking that you had some of these drug cookers on your property (who used the water)?

There was an article in Time Magazine maybe a year ago that detailed the amount of Crystal Meph labs that were popping up in state parks all around the USA. They also talked about pot fields in the CA state park system. For hikers and innocent park users, the most dangerous times to be around were close to harvest time. Some innocent people had been killed. A major enforcement problem was that CA only had like 8 park rangers to patrol a few hundred thousand square miles of park.

A Crystal Meph cooker is also a prime user of his own product thus making him highly unstable.

I wonder if we, as land owners, have any other legal rights if we come accross some of these drug cookers on our property.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Dan, I really don't see anyone that I could trust. Heck, maybe I'm just being paranoid but everybody comes to mind as a possible problem. The retiree that I mentioned lives far enough away that he wouldn't really be available.

Sunil, We are loaded with druggies in rural Texas. The more I think about it, the more I believe that my place is perfect for a drug cooking operation. Very secluded with power and water. The Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex is close enough to have a ready market. The Sheriffs Dept. actually cruises the back roads around my place looking for them and they arrested some of them about 1/4 mile away. That was about 6 months ago. Guess I had better go armed when I go there. Now, thats ridiculous but is reality.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Dave,

It may be time to move to the country. I've been thinking about it a lot lately. Its really the only reliable way to protect your property. I've tried to have the best of both worlds (city and rural) but the city gets less and less interesting.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
The only problem with the move to the country is my wifes job. She works in downtown Dallas. That means 1.5 hrs before getting to the traffic jams. I'm self employed and can work from home or anywhere. The problem is that I'm not retired yet and would have a hard time motivating myself with all of the toys I have there.

I just talked to the Montague County Sheriff. I'm meeting them up there next week to give them a key and an authorization to enter the property. I talked to the only guy with a key and I agree that he would have no interest in fishing or turtle shooting. BTW, the Sheriff told me who the local druggies are. That narrowed my suspicions down on that matter but if its teenagers or neighbors or (?). At least seeing them around should give people an idea that its unsafe territory. I'm also going to put up more signs so prosecution is easier.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Dave, that sounds good that you're going to meet with the local sheriff. I hope he sounded willing to help, or at least interested. I would also ask him how you may be able to make a donation to his Fraternal Order.

My local police have very much wanted to help, and more importantly, they have wanted my help in coming to any trials and testifying. For one of the guys who ripped off some of my small 100cc dirt bikes, he had prior bad acts and was on probation. His act of "Receiving Stolen Property" landed him his third strike and a multi-year stay in the PA State Pen (different than Penn State, mind you).

The officers explained to me that they spend so much time on dealing with the crimes that this guys does, and that the only thing that may have an impact on him is some jail time. I guess we'll see when he gets out in about two years.

I tried to tactfully ask one of the officers how "rough" it was in the State Pen. He caught the drift of my question, and just said "yes, oh yes. It's bad in there."

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Dave,
I'm glad you're getting law enforcement involved.
Who knows, you may find a good friend there! I'm not the trusting type either but you're in a spot where you have to trust someone.

One thing to consider. Some of the chemicals they use in making the meths are lethal. Be very careful what you brush off of a picnic table or any other surface with your bare hand!

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Ya'll gave me a great idea talking about posts in the water , for camera mounting .

I have a point sticking out in my pond accessable
by boat only .

Lots of trees to hide a camera , I keep the boat chained up and trespassers would have to have some big bolt cutters to cut the chain. But they would never see the camera anyway !

Harvey

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Harvey,

Consider mounting your camera on the post in a bird house. Easy to build and its really cool if I do say so myself....and so far a bird hasn't taken liberties with it.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
ML

While reading your post a "picture came to mind"..How many close up pictures have you got of birds flapping their wings trying to get into that birdhouse? Thanks for todays chuckle.

Dan

Mistakes are proof that you are trying.

Dan
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Dan,

I guess my carpentry skills leave something to be desired...the birds have totally ignored it...maybe they just don't want their picture taken...but no poachers either, yet.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Harvey, I tried chaining a boat to a tree. They cut down the tree. Better pick a big one.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Dave .

It's a good size tree , But it would really P##E ME OFF IF THEY CUT IT DOWN , If so hope it falls on them !

Meadolark .

Great idea on the camera in a bird house , I now have a bucket full of ideas .

Harvey

Lunker
Lunker
I think this thread keeps running on because many of us share 1) revulsion of being violated by trespassers and 2) morbid fascination with revenge.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Theo, I once heard, (don't know who the author is), that revenge is a dish best served cold.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves