Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod, JRM
18,493 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,956
Posts557,905
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,531
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
4 members (teehjaeh57, Snipe, Kanon M, Boondoggle), 506 guests, and 176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#52831 03/30/05 06:53 PM
196lake Offline OP
OP Offline
i wrote early and did not get anyone to hit this subject so i thought i might try again.how old would you guess a bass to be if it were 4 inches long and 7-8 inches long.i have recently caught several fish in this size.thanks.

#52832 03/30/05 08:53 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
My reference to the past discussion of
http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=001403
from the topic of: 4" bass (Types of Fish to Chose; Mar 22 2005) evidently did not fully answer your question.

Let me discusss this a little more and see if this info satisfies your needs. I am not a southern bass expert but I know enough about LMbass biology that I can make a good educated guess for you and explain it further.

BACKGROUND - Bass growth rate, as with most fish, is largely dependent on the amount of food they are able to eat. Other factors also affect the growth rate. We could in theory keep a bass in the short size range of 2"-4" for several years by limiting its food intake to just a maintinence diet. We give it just enough food to keep it alive but not enough to allow for much growth or body fat. At the other extreme, if we fed a relatively normal bass as much food as it could eat on a regular basis this fish could grow to 10" to 12" the first year if temperatures most all year were in a warm range(65F-80F); preferred 72F-82F. The second year with the same conditions this fish could be 16"-18" long; depending.

YOUR case. I am assuming you currently have these 4" and 7-8" bass in your pond in LA. If you drained the pond you may also find a couple or a few 9"or10" long bass that are about the same age as your 7"-8" bass. . They are all very likely last year's 2004 hatch of fish. However they may be from the same or differnt spawns in 2004; such as early spawn (April - May) 7"-8" vs a later hatch in June to August (4"-5" bass). Real late LMbass spawns are not common but they do happen esp in southern areas for various reasons.

As an alternative your 4" bass and 7"-8" bass could even be from the SAME spawn or nest. Not all fish from the same hatch grow at the same rate. In LM or SMbass, females usualy grow slightly faster and reach ultimate larger sizes than the male bass. The 4" bass could be the runts of the spawn and the 7"-8" bass could be the more aggressive, genetically superior and or better adapted at predation of other smaller fishes, thus they grow faster than their 4"-6" siblings. Smallest bass that you are seeing could be thriving on a diet more of bugs and small invertebrates compared to the next larger size group that are eating more fish. Often the smallest siblings eventually become one of the larger bass' dinner. However a fair number of the slower growers often but not always get eliminated from the gene pool by predation from the larger more aggressive fish. A few runts or slower growers always manage to survive.

There are a lot of variables to fish size and growth similar to humans. It is not all black & white and explained with simple answers. In humans of a city there are short people (3'to 5') and the tallest basketball player types 6'6"-7'); many at the same or similar age. All sizes and shapes and actual birth dates in each year group or year class. People grow differently than fish but I think you get the picture.

If these 4"-8" bass are newly stocked bass then obviously growth rates are variable for these initial stocked fish. If these fish were produced naturally in your pond by parent fish then you are probably dealing with two different spawns from 2004. As of today's date of March 30 the 4" bass that you are catching in your pond cannot be young fish from the 2005 hatch.

Skilled fishery biologists can pretty accurately estimate the age of these fish by technical laboratory methods. I will not elaborate on them here because these are not feasable or practical techniques for the general pond owner. Special equipment is required.

Did this finally answer your question and Did it stimulate another question relating to your small bass?

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
#52833 03/30/05 11:15 PM
196lake Offline OP
OP Offline
yes,yes.i wish i knew 1/2 of what you know about this pond stuff.but with that i do have another question.is it correct to say if everything is going good in your pond then in the middle of a summer you double the size of your pond(from 3 1/2 acres to 6 acres)that the fish will spawn again due to they realize the area got larger.thanks bill.

p.s. please move down south

#52834 03/31/05 08:36 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I have never read any study results or seen evidence that an enlarged pond would stimulate a second spawning. I doubt this was the reason for the late ssawn in your pond assuming that you had a late spawn. Since we are not fish we do not know everything that "makes them tick". Evidence of a late spawn would be seeing or catching lots of 4" bass compared to just catching the occasional one.

One occurence that could have contributed to a late spawn is if the adult bass were physically interrupted, physically handled or something done to the pond that delayed spawning such as construction work or a partial water drawdown. These things could have interferred with the normal spawning conditions and may have delayed egg development, nest building and or egg laying.

I'm not sure fish realize anything. One has to be very careful not to project human traits especially THINKING and REASONING onto the behavior of animals.If you work at studying this stuff as much and as long as I have you could easily be smarter about pond stuff than me. There are numerous very knowledgable individuals out there that have worked intensively for many years with pond stuff. Some of them are present here but too bad more of them do not frequent this forum. Some of them are probably too busy learning more pond stuff. I just happen to enjoy sharing my training and experiences so hopefully more can benefit by gaining more information about their pond.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:33 AM
Bluegill problem
by Snipe - 04/22/24 11:55 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by Boondoggle - 04/22/24 11:40 PM