Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,108
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
9 members (Boondoggle, FishinRod, jbird5986, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, Deancutler, Angler8689, FireIsHot, Treeguy27), 783 guests, and 173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
duke Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I have a shallow 8acre pond that is being over-run by muskrats. They chew holes in the levy and damage the outflo, as well as chewing a hole in a zodiac boat ($$$$$).

The previous owner put out traps and said he removes 50 musk rats each year, but they are back again next year.

What can I do to safely get rid of them? I hate to resort to the leg traps the previous owner used. Is there some chemical that is safe to use?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Duke,

I have plans for a floating colony trap that will catch multiple 'rats that you do not have to be real handy to build and only costs a couple bucks to build. Depending on how large you want to make it it could hold 8-10 'rats that quietly drown after they enter the trap. It is a set it and forget it type that needs no daily attention.

I use that and quick kill Conibear traps rather than the foothold type. Every year I eliminate them from my pond but they come back every spring.
With my dogs and grandkids I don't want to use any kind of chemicals around the pond and it is illegial to shoot 'rats in Michigan.

To be "P.C." you should check your state and local game laws as everyplace is different

I would be glad to e-mail the article to you if you would like to try it.

Dan

Mistakes are proof that you are trying.

Dan
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Dan, plans for a DIY floating trap sound interesting. Can I get a copy?

Rob

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Dan

I would like to see the plans also.

Thanks

Frank

Book Owner and Magazine Subscriber 3 acre pond central GA
H
H
I would like to see the plans also.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Duke,

In the future looks like you need to find yourself a reliable trapper to consistently take out your rats every trapping season. It shouldn't cost you a dime, and in fact you may be able to recieve part of the money from the sale of the pelts if you want to. Find the link to your state trappers association and you shouldn't have any trouble linking up to a local trapper.

You may also want to consider gettng rid of their food supply if feasible to discourage them from coming to your pond. Cattails are a prime food for them. Muskrats migrate into ponds in the spring and fall.

I just got a new influx of them this sprng took one out yesterday with a conibear. I was too lazy to get rid of all my cattails last year and lo and behold the muskrats are here.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I agree with Cecil 100%. My pond is still 40% ice covered and I saw 3'rats yesterday and I know they were all "relocated" by the end of last summer. I have the time and enjoy the "game" going after them myself.

To locate a trapper try www.nationaltrappers.com
Near the bottom of their web page there is a link "Join your state TA". That will take you to a list of all state trapping associations with contacts to their directors. They will be able to give you information on local trappers.

Good luck,

Dan

Dan
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I should have added that almost all trapping seasons are closed now and the trappers will only trap during the legal season (usually late fall and winter) when the fur is worth something.
You can call a year round ADC (Animal Damage Control) trapper but you will have to pay a fee.
Sometimes if you do it yourself not intending to sell the fur you don't have those restrictions.

Dan
W
W
Just so happens I am reading some articles in my AMERICAN TRAPPER magazine (am lifemember of National Trappers Assoc.) and there it is: the floating trap for muskrats on page34 of the Jan/Feb 2005 issue. It is very simple and it works as I have used in past with good results.
The unfortunate thing is I can not post a copy or part of here as it would be copyright infrinnment. As in a previous posting is a link to the assoc - otherwise their email link is: ntaheadquarters@national trappers.com. As stated above - its something you can put out and not have to examine everyday (unless you feel it would be overloaded).

Woody

D
duke Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the responses. I will have to see about finding a trapper. I would be very interested in seeing the trap you spoke of, though. I am not sure what I am allowed to do about the vegetation, but I will look into it.

I appreciate the help.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
duke:

Please do check out the NTA site. Your local game warden could also probably recommend a trapper.

Please also check your state regs. Colony traps can be very effective, but many states don't allow their use.

Fur prices haven't been good for a long time. In days of high fur prices and cheap gas, maybe you can expect the trapper to kick in some cash. In days of high gas prices and cheap fur, the trapper might expect you to kick in some cash.

I prefer connibear type traps for muskrats, but don't assume that footholds are cruel. They can easily be set up to quickly drown the muskrat. It could easily be a more humane death than chemicals.

Finally, trapping can be as enjoyable a sport as fishing. You might give it a shot if you haven't.

Jeff

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
D
D
Dan I,m also interested in getting a copy of the
Plans for a Floating colony trap.

Ditch Boss

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Dan,

You've got a best seller...too bad the Forum doesn't have a place where we could post those kinds of things for download. Thanks for sending me one.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Dan, I also would appreciate a plan.

Thanks in advance

Dave

D
duke Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Dan, I would really appreciate a copy of the plans. My email is dukenyc@hotmail.com.

Thanks.

J
J
Dan I would like a copy of the plans too. thanks

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Please, Dan. I NEED a copy in the worst way. I've got six-foot long muskrats.

Bruce

bmcondello@bizfunctional.com

4901 Happy Hollow Lane
Lincoln, NE

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
By the way....

My Dad has always told me the story about the days that his poor Italian immigrant family used to eat "marsh rabbit". My grandpa Frank would go out and capture these marsh rabbits and bring them home for my grandma to cook.

Turns out that "marsh rabbit" was muskrat. It seems that my grandma didn't like the idea of eating something with the word rat in it. \:\)

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
D
D
Duke,

According to my trapper friend, the easiest way for a rookie to trap a muskrat is to use a live wire cage trap like "HaveAHart". Use muskrat trap lure. www.dunnsfishfarm.com sells the lure for $10.50 per ounce. He said you may have mink and there is some good shell fish oil that works well on muskrat, mink, and raccoons available at www.snareshop.com

To determine if you have muskrat, he said that you should look for shallow "caves" or "overhangs" dug in the pond bank where a muskrat will have a temporary retreat and restng place. They may also look like a cliff cut out of the bank. Look for fresh signs and place the trap close by. If you do not catch a rat, keep moving the trap until you find their busy area.

Good luck.

Dennis
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Bruce,

Plans on the way. Six foot 'rats??? Hmmmm..
You need to get a picture to Theo for inclusion in the "News Release" post. Instead of the trap I think I would use the S&W method. Either the .500 Mag. or the new .460 EVR should do nicely.

Dan
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Do check the regs.
Most likely you'll need a depredation permit to remove the rats out of season, and a trapping license in season.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
K
K
Dan
I would like a copy of the plans also. My email is scooter.rambo@rambomarine.com
Thanks a lot.

D
duke Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Has anyone gotten a set of the plans yet?

Dan, if you sent me a set, I never got them. my email is dukenyc@hotmail.com. Please send them as soon as you can as I would love to start building it. thanks.

BTW, they have burrowed through my dam, and the pond level has dropped a foot and a half \:\(

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Duke,

I sent you a e-mail last Friday and another one just now. Can't send plans via e-mail but if you send me a mailing address I will be glad to send a hard copy.

Dan

Dan
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I got my plans. Thanks, Dan. Now to see if they will work on nutria.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 08:10 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails